Recommend any headphones?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
noratronika

Post by noratronika » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:20 am

Just got my new HD-25's outta teh box. Made in Ireland :lol: I think thats the only thing I've ever owned that was made in Ireland 2Bsure 2Bsure.
ImageDellXPS M1710-2.16GHz//Event 20/20's//A LIVE6//Cubase L3//Reason 3.04//NI Electro Instruments//Motu UL FW//M-Audio FW 18/14//KorgRadias//KorgKontrol49//M-Audio Axiom25/UC-33///KP3...

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:47 am

*with boring monotony*:lol:

HD25s

But I'll tell ya why: I was lucky enough to win a pair once about 6 years ago - I would never have bought headphones that flash - but since then have paid for THREE additional pairs, I lost one, one got stolen at a gig, now I have just bought my third pair - it hurts the pocket, but it's worth it. I wouldn't waste time with anything else.

Knowing they're the industry standard for most forms of sound recordist doesn't hurt either.

Subjectively, they are accurate anough to do productive work on, and you can judge bass levels surprisingly well on them - bass levels for headphones of course - but that's no mean feat.

Couple of things: 1, the HD25s fit tighter than other hedphones, so they can be less comfortable when worn for extended sessions (c'mon who doesn't?) than some of the other more open styles.

2. I NEVER take them to gigs anymore - I only use headphones for line-checking anyway - I have a pair of $16.95 Dick Smith Shitters. :)

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:05 pm

I also suggest hd25's,

I do find that if i am mixing with them i always come out with an inaccurate mix, always overdo it on the bass, dam annoying.

But for everything else they are good, drivers are exceptional. I have had mine for years and years.

Aftertime the ear muff pads start coming loose, and the cable costs nearly as much as the headphones them selves to replace.

Forget all that its the sound that counts.

They are superb for djing with BtW

jesso

Post by jesso » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:23 pm

i have the 25sps, love them to bits.
Havnt tried the 25s, how are they better?

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:25 pm

I dont know, i have had mine for years and never wanted to buy a different pair.

I think the 25's sp,

Isnt the difference just the out shell of he headphones, im quite sure the drivers are the same, just a bit of a cheaper shell.

robin

Post by robin » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:31 pm

wilxon wrote:I dont know, i have had mine for years and never wanted to buy a different pair.

I think the 25's sp,

Isnt the difference just the out shell of he headphones, im quite sure the drivers are the same, just a bit of a cheaper shell.
Different freq response:

25SPs

30.....16000 Hz (-3 dB)

16.....22000 Hz

I'm kinda tempted to get some 25s.

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:35 pm

they are good

I forgot about frequency response, if you whatch a film wearing them like say Starwars III Revenge of the Sith,

The bass rattles them on your ears and you can feel the vibration.

awsome delivery.

Jan Holm

Re: Recommend any headphones?

Post by Jan Holm » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:37 pm

SubLik wrote:They are for the creative part of the production process and I would like them to be as transparent as possible
I use Beyerdynamic DT770 - Love it, great sound and really
comfy. I've done 8 hour + sessions with these - without any
pains.

Mine are well over 10 years and never once any cable fcuks.

That said it seems like it has just been revamped for 06. So
no promices on the new model - although the seem to be just
the same - other than new cosmetics.
http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-manuf ... dt-770.php

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:39 pm

wilxon wrote:I do find that if i am mixing with them i always come out with an inaccurate mix, always overdo it on the bass, dam annoying.
Thats just the nature of mixing with headphones...25s are as good as you'll get.
(If you want accuracy, then you should use monitors. Nobody actually mixes tracks down inside headphones...thats just wrong)
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

robin

Post by robin » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:42 pm

kineticUk wrote:
wilxon wrote:I do find that if i am mixing with them i always come out with an inaccurate mix, always overdo it on the bass, dam annoying.
Thats just the nature of mixing with headphones...25s are as good as you'll get.
(If you want accuracy, then you should use monitors. Nobody actually mixes tracks down with headphones)
It might also be because he's using 25sp with a poor (comparatively) bass response and over compensating a little.

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:51 pm

Yeah robin...I haven't heard sps. Basically I love my 25s (Got 2 pairs) and I've never heard anything like them. But when it comes down to doing a final mix, unless its only gonna be played on headphones (25s), you will wanna check the mix on monitors anyway, make sure everythings correct. I mean they come as close as is possible but they are always gonna be headphones not speakers not monitors.
You should check mixes out on different speakers anyway really even if you have monitors, cause the more you test the sound the better the final product. Its just attention to detail.
But yeah 25s are the best headphones you can get ... End of debate.
d.

robin

Post by robin » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:52 pm

kineticUk wrote:Yeah robin...I haven't heard sps. Basically I love my 25s (Got 2 pairs) and I've never heard anything like them. But when it comes down to doing a final mix, unless its only gonna be played on headphones (25s), you will wanna check the mix on monitors anyway, make sure everythings correct. I mean they come as close as is possible but they are always gonna be headphones not speakers not monitors.
You should check mixes out on different speakers anyway really even if you have monitors, cause the more you test the sound the better the final product. Its just attention to detail.
I completely agree.

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:56 pm

robin wrote:I completely agree.
Sound m8. :)

arachnaut

Post by arachnaut » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:01 pm

For analytic sound tests I like the Stax Lambda Pros that I've had
for about 20 years and still sound very good. But they cost big
bucks.

For enjoyment, I like the Sony MDR-V900.

With any headpone, you will not get the bass punch in your gut that
speakers provide. And with the sound so close to your ears you won't
get the loss in highs that occur at normal speaker listening distances.

I've found the Sony MDR-V900 to help in both cases - there is plenty
of bass punch and the highs are a little light. These are the phones
I use the most.

Sennheisers can't be driven loud enough with small MP3 players
that like 4 Ohm headphones, in case you want to use them
for things like that as well.

Also, I would always go for a headphone that fits around the
ear. After a few hours, anything touching the ear gets painful,
even light-weight Sennheisers.

And by the way, I'm 54 years old and have quite a bit of hearing
loss from listening at too-high levels for too long. Be nice to
your ears.

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:34 pm

robin wrote:
kineticUk wrote:
(If you want accuracy, then you should use monitors. Nobody actually mixes tracks down with headphones)
It might also be because he's using 25sp with a poor (comparatively) bass response and over compensating a little.
Im not using 25SPs's, just a pair of HD25's.

I sometimes try to do mixdowns when away from my studio to have a listen in the car, say when im away and i dont have my monitors in my laptop bag.

Any Final Mixes are done using my Tannoy Precisions. Which in my opinion are the best sounding monitors you can buy under £2000.