Recommend any headphones?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Jan Holm

Post by Jan Holm » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:58 pm

wilxon wrote:If you are not hearing what its really like your productions wont sound the same when you play it else where. :!: :!: :idea:
Its your favorite subject - your theory is a very very unproffesional one. :?
Nothing will ever sound the same - other than identical speakers
in identical rooms. I dont care for 200.000$ main speakers, Avalon
pre's, Apogee convertes, flat response and what not. Good producers
need all that shiite.

Great producers will blow them with Live on a 500$ labtop using
50$ Logitech cans.

I do audio for a living (12 years +) Unproffesional, sure - is my
calender fully booked again tomorrow, sure.

On the monitoring part. Find the monitors and cans that make
your favorite productions sound the best to your ear. Get to know
them deeply. About 1 year ago I found my perfect partner, I still
do check on the TV, 10$ 400W laser power 2000 computer speakers,
car, club PA's, living room stereo ect. But these days I'm right on
target 95% of the time.

My BM15's aren't flat so they probably wouldnt work for you. Does
that make me unproffesional.

Jan Holm

Post by Jan Holm » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:02 pm

kineticUk wrote:SubLik, Jan and everyone else trust me ... just get the HD25's
If I we're dj'ing that would be my choice. I'm more on the
studio side these days and my DT770 suits me fine here.

DoubleWah

Open versus closed back

Post by DoubleWah » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:19 pm

I think headphone choice completely depends on the context you're using them. If you're planning to have your headphones on for a long time without a lot of loud instruments in the room, then I think you really want to go for a pair of open-back headphones rather than the closed-back design of something like the HD-25. Sure these will be great headphones if you absolutely need sound isolation (e.g. if you are using them for live DJing or in a studio live room). Otherwise I think you can a much more accurate sound (and comfortable headphones) with the open back design.

My best musical purchase ever was a pair of Sennheiser HD 650s. Expensive headphones, but MUCH cheaper than a pair of monitors. I totally love them. You can really get lost in the airy and detailed sound of them and quickly forget you're wearing headphones at all. In comparison, the HD 25s sound very boxy to me. Of course, it's all relative, and the HD 25s sound better than most of their direct competitors.

As ever... your milage may vary... (but start saving up for the HD 650 ;-) )

Si

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:27 am

You're wanting them for mixing and writing not club use, if you got the cash Sennheiser HD650 are very, very good headphones.

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:19 am

formatk wrote:HD 25's are poo, I can't understand why all you guys are raving about them?
Because I love them formatk...I have said enough though I know. And of course everybody has their favorites "variety is the spice of life"..I'm cool with that. Its personal preference like everything else.
I fuckin love those headphones and thats all that matters. :)
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

ultrasource

Post by ultrasource » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:44 am

i make sweet love to my grados.
HP L2000 | Live 5 + Operator | MOTU 828mkII | other stuff

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:05 am

formatk wrote:Best headphones for non dj use are sony mdr-7506's... I think Sens.... are shite. If you wanna use phones for DJing, look at Sony MDR- V700's, they're loud and got a good sound... build quality ain't the best, and you shouldn't use them for a long time... can cause ear injuires, but you hear everything loud and clear...
How do the MDR-V600s stack up? Main difference by looking at specs is a smaller driver(40mm) but same frequency response and SNR. Less output than the 700s but I'm not in a hurry to go deaf as I don't use them in a live enviroment. Do these(Sonys) offer a pretty flat response or tainted?
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:13 am

The Sony MDR-V700's look nice.
Used them quite a bit as my brother had them for DJing. I've gotta say no wonder me and formatk don't agree we got completly different tastes here.
You'll look nice wearing them. Good Poser Headphones.
If image is a main priority you cannot go wrong with those...
No seriously though, good headphones but not as good as ... 8O
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:32 am

JamieG wrote:Why are there so many people getting their knickers in a twist about frequency responce of the headphones. They are for monitoring NOT mixing!!

If you create a mix thats sounds good through headphones, of course its gonna sound crappy through loudspeakers!! This has nothing to do with the frequency responce of the headphones, but more to do with the addition of room acoustics (which you don't hear on headphones).

You really should be looking for a pair of headphones that produce a loud precise sound over all audible frequencies (at equal sound level over those frequencies, ie FLAT) so that you can hear exactly whats going in the sound and notice sutble changes.

IMO there is no contest, HD25's are the way to go, but you should try them to make sure they fit comfortably, etc. If they don't then you should consider another high-end, closed back headphone. Beyer-Dynamic are definitly second choice to Sennheiser, both are good, but HD25's come with excelent warranty and have easily replacable parts so will be the last pair of headphones you will buy!

Jamie

The point of a control room in a studio, when they are built proffesionally is to try and neutralise as much of the room acoustics as you can, so that they dont effect the sound. It is important that you can hear what is conimg from the speakers and nothing else.

If you have a room full of acoutics, reflections, and corners your mix will sound as bad as it does in your headphones.

The frequency responce is important when using only headphones, agreed if you use them just to make a reference to it wont matter so much. I use headphones when editing samples, creating sounds on the synths and when i start creating loops and sequences, and the 2 things that are most important are Frequency and Response.

If your headphones cant play 50 hz tightly with acurate responce then your not hearing what you are really putting in to your tunes.

With monitors - How many people here have sub woofers when mixing down dance tunes?

Definatly a most essential part of the set up.

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:35 am

Sony's are RUBBISH

I had a pair of sony's and they used to make my ears ring after use of about 2 hours.

The sennhisers dont.

And the sennhisers sound more sparkly than those because thr frequency range is greater.

Sony's - over priced, Over rated, and crap.

robin

Post by robin » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:39 am

wilxon wrote:
They are stupidly loud though. This is why a lot of DJs like them. When cueing on a large PA some people like that volume so I can see why they are popular (personally the hd25sps are loud enough in those circumstances).

I've not heard anyone who owns them say they haven't broken them though as they are not that well made.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:47 am

AKG K271

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:49 am

robin wrote:
wilxon wrote:
They are stupidly loud though. This is why a lot of DJs like them. When cueing on a large PA some people like that volume so I can see why they are popular (personally the hd25sps are loud enough in those circumstances).

I've not heard anyone who owns them say they haven't broken them though as they are not that well made.
Thats why i like the HD25's because they do attenuate really well.

You can drive them very hard though, i have had them to loud volumes without them distorting, when using soundcards like Emu 1616m or Echo Indigo DJ - it really isnt hard to drive them as loud as you need them to go.

You have trouble when listeming from an MP3 player like an iPod, but then you wont catch me walking down the street with my HD25's on my head.

Which reminds me

The Shure Ec5's are also great earphones. (ear canal)

Expensive though, you wouldnt catch me walking down he street in those either.

formatk

Post by formatk » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:41 am

kineticUk wrote:The Sony MDR-V700's look nice.
Used them quite a bit as my brother had them for DJing. I've gotta say no wonder me and formatk don't agree we got completly different tastes here.
Hey...! I'm no poser! cheeky
http://www.myspace.com/formatk
http://www.karlsadler.com
http://www.kandledesign.com

Artist & Visualist
MacBook Pro C2D 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM Live 7.0.14, OSX10.6.2, Launchpad, AkaiMPD24, Akai S20, Oxygen 8, Presonus Inspire, Rode NT1a/M3, Shure SM58

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:47 am

formatk wrote:
kineticUk wrote:The Sony MDR-V700's look nice.
Hey...! I'm no poser! cheeky
Get some sennies then.

:lol: :lol: