'General' Forum Split?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bip

Post by bip » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:11 pm

i think a separate "OT" section (like in other boards) would make everybody happy!
no need of banning or moderating.... just split

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:11 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:current approx count, first page:

35 on topic

12 off topic, including this post.

not %100 accurate because i refreshed between counts by accident.

.lm.
ya...but it gets under your skin over time, and you decide 'man...fuck that guy's an asshole' ... thats hardly any good for the overall goal of helping each other with regards AUDIO & LIVE related topics
spreader of butter

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:18 pm

What???? Bounce? You come here to get help with audio and live related issues?

c'mon man, how can you be upset about this, as far as i can tell, you enjoy the (dysfunctional) social aspect of this joint as much as anybody. In fact, i'd say that you enjoy getting under peoples skin with OT stuff. I don't care, i like your style and think it's funny, all part of the flavor of the forum IMO.

I can't see ableton spending their time micro managing this forum because some people have their undies in a bunch of OT posts. kinda silly use of resources. But go ahead, keep asking if you want it. They did give us a post your music section that nobody browses, maybe they'll give us an OT forum too.

but answer this: who's gonna waste their time moving the OT posts from general to OT forum? And if some people don't obey the distinction what happens? just a step towards moderationi if you ask me, and i think that's a bad thing.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:30 pm

The whole issue would be simplified if people were smart enough to write descriptive thread titles, not ones like http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=, http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=, or "I have a problem.."

They're the ones that are time-wasters.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:37 pm

hehe, ya man I DO actually help people - not as much as the likes of adamjay et al, who are real brainy professionals....but by relaying my experiences I have actually helped people - consistantly. I know because they've thanked me 'personally'. and of course I've had lots of meaningful exchanges in private - AUDIO RELATED

And yes, I have been an advocate of the OT thing....but like I said, I'm real sick of it now - and sadly it has an affect on what kind of poster I am. I dont want to know anyones politics, If I think they're an asshole because of their politics I'll leave them by the wayside...and I KNOW I'm not the only one who acts this way. How many times has the troll label been thrown around here, it means nothing any more - suffice as to say if you're labelled a troll no one is going to help you with your queries. - and 99% of that shit comes down to OT stuff.

I think its better for everyone, if we stopped with the relentless politics & youtube & animated gifs, ...so at least we're not judging each other in that respect. and we can stay on topic without begrudging one another over our off-topic personalities.

and everyone has this Idea that I love the OT thing...well, check your records - I'd say I've started around....five OT threads in my entire stint here, with all my nicks. Some of the OT issues people raise are serious, and I cant help myself but throw in my two cents - and then I see guys reducing palestinian suffering into southpark episodes, and a fuckin animated gif of George Bush with horns growing out of his head...it pisses me off. And I think to myself 'that guys a complete tosser' ...and that does no good for the chances of me helping him in the future. and vice versa.

and it does no good for my signal/noise ratio. but theres plenty of useful info floating around here.

if there was an OT section, we could have a moderator or two who's only purpose would be to move OT threads into the OT section - should someone decide to post their 'Vote democrat' BULLSHIT in here, instead of the OT section provided for them. Kind of like a spam folder in your mailbox. No banning or censoring, just moving the OT stuff that finds its way here into the OT section, so we dont even have to see it unless we want to. and everyone will live happilly ever after.

thats all I have to say.
Last edited by b0unce on Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spreader of butter

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:50 pm

i think OT threads help on topic ones.
this forum would be really boring if it was only about Live. the fact that it's still entertaining makes people come here, and if you have some ON topic concern, you've got chances to get an answer pretty quickly.

why do most people that have a problem post here instead of the "bugs and problems" forum? cause they get more chances to get an answer here.

we've been asking for a "music" forum for a long time, and i feel that it gets more unnoticed than the "post your music" thread that was in the general section.

i'm pretty sure if there was an OT forum, most ppl would post their on topic discussions there...

i think what could tidy up the general forum would be to have general threads like "post funny videos here", "talk about US elections here". but that demands user's discipline. and are musicians disciplined?

bip

Post by bip » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:00 pm

peeddrroo wrote:
this forum would be really boring if it was only about Live.
ehm.... actually not, it would be perfect! :wink:

making music is not boring

franknputer

Post by franknputer » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:08 pm

Just a question - what would you post about here that could not be posted in the other forums? I see a lot of problems here...but there's a Bugs & Problems forum. I see a lot of advice here...but there is a Tips & Tricks forum. You have forums for posting music & gigs - so what Live-only discussions are missing their own place? Seriously?

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:08 pm

bip wrote:
peeddrroo wrote:

well, i don't make music on this forum, i take a break from making music...
strange way of taking a break, i agree

franknputer

Post by franknputer » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:08 pm

bip wrote:
peeddrroo wrote:

No, but making art is not only about your software. :wink:

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:17 pm

franknputer wrote:Just a question - what would you post about here that could not be posted in the other forums? I see a lot of problems here...but there's a Bugs & Problems forum. I see a lot of advice here...but there is a Tips & Tricks forum. You have forums for posting music & gigs - so what Live-only discussions are missing their own place? Seriously?
its about the dumbasses using the space to talk about american politics, and the youtube links.

thats my pet peeve. i dont think anyones suggesting 'dont give out any ableton tips here - use the tips forum' ...i think its mostly about the absolutely-in-no-way-related-to-ableton-live stuff.
spreader of butter

dab

Post by dab » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:20 pm

There are non Live related forums for these offset subjects. I would prefer this forum to be related to only Ableton issues but an OT forum here may be ok for the people that want to voice their worldly opinions and still be within this great community.

dab

bip

Post by bip » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:40 pm

franknputer wrote:
bip wrote:
peeddrroo wrote:

No, but making art is not only about your software. :wink:
yes, of course.... you're right

but making music is also about making music (i feel philosopher today) :wink:

what i wanted to say is that an OT section would be great, for those who want to read the posts (me included from time to time) ....
and those who don't want to can discuss only about software, hardware, instruments, connections data transfer protocols....synchronisations and bla bla....

minimal

Post by minimal » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:10 pm

or we could start boicotting (spelling??) the OTs

bip

Post by bip » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:21 pm

minimal wrote:or we could start boicotting (spelling??) the OTs
mmhh... no need of boycotting for me
just split, sot that when i want to read OT threads i can find them all in a separate section... and when i don't want i can find all "general live-related" posts in another section :wink: