'General' Forum Split?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mike Goodwin

Post by Mike Goodwin » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:36 pm

:!: YES PLEASE :!:

signal

Post by signal » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:04 pm

I'm hardly the most active person on this forum, but I support the idea of a seperate OT channel. The Web is a huge place filled with countless forums better suited for "discussions" about snipers and "what I had for lunch." Shouldn't we be able to come here and escape that briefly?

Someone upthread did a count of OffTopic vs OnTopic threads on page 1 seemingly to point that there weren't all that many OT threads. It worked out to 25%. 1 in 4 seems like a lot of clutter to me.

I agree with those that have said that music and life are about more than software, but this a software forum where people mostly want to discuss music/technology/performance/etc. That's sort of a lot to chew on already, isn't it, without throwing political polls and TV shows into the mix?

I'm glad that people have the time and inclination to chat for 15 pages about their political views, but I suspect a silent majority of people on this particular music software forum get a bit weary of scrolling past these, often redundant threads, day after day.

I don't think anyone is saying ban OT, just give it it's own little home.

As far as this...
i'm pretty sure if there was an OT forum, most ppl would post their on topic discussions there
Why would anyone do this? I've been on a lot of forums and this only ever really happens by accident and not all that often.

bip

Post by bip » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:17 pm

peeddrroo wrote:
bip wrote:
peeddrroo wrote:
this forum would be really boring if it was only about Live.
ehm.... actually not, it would be perfect! :wink:

making music is not boring
well, i don't make music on this forum, i take a break from making music...
strange way of taking a break, i agree
i understand what you mean... sometimes i do the same....
as said, i don't want to ban OT threads, just group them in another category.. if for everybody is ok :wink:

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:31 pm

PLEASE.

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:36 pm

yeah, actually i tend to agree with the original post on a day like today.

don't americans have places to discuss about THEIR elections and THEIR wars on the internet?
:roll:

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:36 pm

You guys ever think by keeping the forum kind of loose like this people stay in the ABLETON DOMAIN

You're working on beats, or you're at work - like me right now - you go to the Ableton forum because there's some socializing going on - but YOU'RE ONT HE ABLETON FORUM right?

So, what's the first thing I do when I go home - turn on ABLETON

I don't know why I did it - probably because I was on the ABLETON FORUM all day

if I was posting (which I do) on the South Park forum or HBO WIRE FORUM - I'd go home and fire up TiVo

I prefer firing up Ableton after a rough day

keep it loose, keep my head in ABLETON and things will work out for me

peace

a

oh fyi - I only have like 10 or so posts on HBO and maybe 50 on the SP forum - and I've been a member on those for a looooooooooooooong time
Ableton | Elektron

Music

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:40 pm

djadonis206 wrote:You guys ever think by keeping the forum kind of loose like this people stay in the ABLETON DOMAIN

You're working on beats, or you're at work - like me right now - you go to the Ableton forum because there's some socializing going on - but YOU'RE ONT HE ABLETON FORUM right?

if I was posting (which I do) on the South Park forum or HBO WIRE FORUM - I'd go home and fire up TiVo

peace

a

oh fyi - I only have like 10 or so posts on HBO and maybe 50 on the SP forum - and I've been a member on those for a looooooooooooooong time
ya, and how would keeping your southpark scripts & boobtube links for the proposed OT section get in the way of this logic ?....you would still be in the ableton domain. you could still go home and turn on ableton. and you'd still get to chat with your ableton buddies.
spreader of butter

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:51 pm

b0unce wrote:
djadonis206 wrote:You guys ever think by keeping the forum kind of loose like this people stay in the ABLETON DOMAIN

peace

a

ya, and how would keeping your southpark scripts & boobtube links for the proposed OT section get in the way of this logic ?....you would still be in the ableton domain. you could still go home and turn on ableton. and you'd still get to chat with your ableton buddies.

no, you'd still be reading a whoole bunch of south park shit from this guy, OT forum or not.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:53 pm

if he wants to be an asshole about it, you're probably right
spreader of butter

joesapo

Post by joesapo » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:21 pm

Not to go against the grain or anything - but I think that a separate OT board would be a bad idea.... Let me explain my thinking;

1) You make a separate OT board.
2) People post to the OT board wanting to be heard.
3) Nobody EVER visits the OT board
4) People post OT things in the main forum - but try to be sneaky about it so people will read their posts.
5) Back to square one, but worse since you don't have [OT] anymore.

The Abes have better things to do than play Mod around here. I say we should just leave well enough alone. Maybe there have been a few more OT posts around here than usual, but there IS alot of interesting things to talk about right now.

Sometimes - less is more. And is it really that hard to just NOT CLICK something?

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:50 pm

joesapo wrote:Not to go against the grain or anything - but I think that a separate OT board would be a bad idea.... Let me explain my thinking;

1) You make a separate OT board.
2) People post to the OT board wanting to be heard.
4) People post OT things in the main forum - but try to be sneaky about it so people will read their posts.
5) Back to square one, but worse since you don't have [OT] anymore.

The Abes have better things to do than play Mod around here. I say we should just leave well enough alone. Maybe there have been a few more OT posts around here than usual, but there IS alot of interesting things to talk about right now.

Sometimes - less is more. And is it really that hard to just NOT CLICK something?
The abes shouldnt play mod. There's a few heavy posters around here who are community spirited enough to volunteer, we'd only need one or two and all they would have to do is MOVE the ot stuff posted here into the ot-section. and you're ideas seem to be based on other boards...believe me, the OTsection would have plenty of traffic in this board. and then everyone would be happy, the general forum would be about general audio/ableton live stuff....and all the politics and humourous pictures/candid camera clips would have their own home.

I think everyone has tabbed browsing, OT open in one tab, General in the other. that is, if you actually give a fuck about democrats/republicans/southpark
spreader of butter

bip

Post by bip » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:54 pm

joesapo wrote:

why do you think that people would not visit the OT section?

signal

Post by signal » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:05 pm

And is it really that hard to just NOT CLICK something?
This isn't about clicking or not clicking OT subjects. This is about the fact that relevant threads are shunted to the bottom and ultimately off of the first page more quickly than they need to be in favor of Peak Oil videos. This makes it harder to find what you're looking for. It clutters up search results. It wastes a lot of people's time which is already in short supply as it is.

Why is it so hard to understand that a lot of people don't come here to catch up on or riff on current events or cartoons? These things are covered exhaustively elsewhere and firing up a thread about them here out of sheer boredom doesn't necessarily make the Ableton forum experience more "fun". If talking about things related to art, music, recording, performance, tech questions, etc. aren't enough to hold someone's interest here, try to remember that this isn't the only forum on the Web.

I think discussions about politics, corruption and snack food are as valid in the grand scheme as anything else, but why the fixation with having them here all day?

Ultimately, a lively forum benefits Ableton regardless of the proportion of OT threads and I don't think we should hold our breath for the company to shift resources into full-time moderating. As happens on a lot of other software forums, it might take a reasonable-minded and dedicated forum reader with some time on their hands to volunteer.

All that said, I'm all for democracy and if most people like a ton of OT threads in the main forum section, that's great. Enjoy.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:09 pm

i'm sorry, but the idea that OT posts are pushing usefull information off the screen is silly. First of all, *most* of the posts here are on topic, so on topic posts push stuff off the page more than OT posts. Second of all, nothing is lost, use google to search through the forum for what you're looking for. 3rdly, once you find the topic you want to discuss, posting in it brings it back to the top of the screen.

basically, if people are talking about it, it'll be in the first few pages.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:11 pm

signal wrote:
And is it really that hard to just NOT CLICK something?
This isn't about clicking or not clicking OT subjects. This is about the fact that relevant threads are shunted to the bottom and ultimately off of the first page more quickly than they need to be in favor of Peak Oil videos. This makes it harder to find what you're looking for. It clutters up search results. It wastes a lot of people's time which is already in short supply as it is.
To some point I have to disagree

I post a lot and answer a lot of releveant music / ableton related threads

Usually the answers to such questions like - how do I set a warp marker, or what's the best controller for LIVE are answered pretty quickly

not too many of those go unresolved, so you se elike 3 or 4 replies and the thread goes away

Personal shit doesn't get resolved so quickly - like "who should be our next president"

An OFF TOPIC Section of this forum is fine by me

but this is the general forum

you know there are

TIPS AND TRICKS
BUGS
and a MUSIC SECTION
plus a LOCAL (what's going on in your area)

alot of questions, tips and what not get answered in those sections

peace

but really, another OFF TOPIC tab wouldn't hurt anyone, if it's really necessary

Ad
Ableton | Elektron

Music