'General' Forum Split?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hypomixolydian

Post by Hypomixolydian » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:02 am

Nogi wrote:
Most tasks of magnitude would never begin, continue or end without the art of delusion. And, I, for one, think you are hilarious. :P
So you mean there is hope for me as a stand up comedian?

forge wrote:
he he...now I'll reply again too and so it goes on :wink:
OK, then so will I. Actually, I think it's funny that we have kind of hijacked this thread and completely made it OT.

forge wrote:
what you seem to be talking about sounds a bit more like some kind of mental illness, in which case you must know alot of nutters! :lol:
I suppose we all know our fair share.

forge wrote:
the example you gave kind of illustrates the pointlessness of being botherd by the titles being misused even better! :P
I guess it does.

forge wrote:
really, if you were the said person wanting to ba a stand up then it would depend how long you were prepared to be booed off stage before you gave up and acknowledged that you cant cut it - and the same for a muso

in fact in both of those cases BECAUSE they are performance oriented career paths it's pretty easy to find out pretty early in your career how rubbish you are because the audience will let you know that, even if only by walking and showing no interest ever

if someone is rubbish and still carries on believing in themselves despite no audience ever appreciating them then in a way good luck to them and they deserve the honorary title as much as anyone, they just might need the additional prefix of "crap"

but a "crap stand up" is still a stand up!
That implies then that I can claim to call myself anything I want, persist in believing it despite the lack of appreciation by anyone, but just be crap at it. So now I can go around telling everyone that I am a ballet dancer, a magician, a comedian, actor, writer, belly dancer, film maker etc..........albeit very crap ones. I didn't realise until now that I am a New Renaissance man, even if I am rubbish at all those things. Thank you Forge for giving me a new sense of purpose in my life.

forge wrote:
and anyone who wouldnt be prepared to take it that far or even to the stage at all probably wouldnt call themselves either of those titles for long without giving up and becoming an accountant or something instead because it takes alot to keep getting up in front of an audience that thinks you are crap
I know that Jim Carey made a movie I think called "Man On The Moon", about an annoying and unfunny comedian whose name I can't remember. He essentially was crap, but he kept on performing. You have probably seen it (I presume). To me, he is a good example of someone who kept getting up in front of an audience who thought he was shit and actually was shit (in my opinion). Maybe it does pay to delude yourself and have the gall and thick skin to keep going, even if you are total rubbish. In some ways that is quite inspiring.

Just in case you respond again Forge, I won't be able to reply for quite a while as I need to get quite a lot of things done. So till next time.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:06 am

andy kaufman was not crap, he was a genius.

jim carey, on the other hand......

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

forge

Post by forge » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:13 am

Astral Fridge Magnet wrote: Actually, I think it's funny that we have kind of hijacked this thread and completely made it OT.
:lol:

me too

IN YER FACE FORUM SPLITTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hypomixolydian

Post by Hypomixolydian » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:12 am

leisuremuffin wrote:
andy kaufman was not crap, he was a genius.

jim carey, on the other hand......

.lm.
Aah. It was Andy Kaufman. Thanks for the name. I didn't like his style of humour, at least as it was portrayed in the film. But as you no doubt know, taste in anything is purely subjective.

But you gotta admit that Jim Carey was pretty funny in "Dumb And Dumber". Well, in my subjective opinion he was.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:17 am

On the subject of stand-up comedy on a music forum:

Now this dude is brilliant. Combining live music with comedy :D

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:23 am

leisuremuffin wrote:andy kaufman was not crap, he was a genius.
:arrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxOa6_hepQ0

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:33 am

:arrow: :arrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWUGk4Qm2XE

this one kept me laughing for a while

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:36 am

peeddrroo wrote:
:arrow: :arrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWUGk4Qm2XE

this one kept me laughing for a while
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s89gW_AynJg

The legendary kaufman bit...

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:04 pm

hoffman2k wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s89gW_AynJg

The legendary kaufman bit...
in the same vein
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1ATfm-wnC8
notice how his arms constantly swing out of rythm.

Hypomixolydian

Post by Hypomixolydian » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:40 pm

hoffman2k wrote:On the subject of stand-up comedy on a music forum:

Now this dude is brilliant. Combining live music with comedy :D
I totally agree!!!!!!!!!! He is one of my all time favourites. In fact I got the idea for my nickname here on this forum (Astral Fridge Magnet) from one of his skits. He was talking about Glastonbury and a guy that runs a stall who painstakingly writes your name on a grain of rice and comparing it to a guy running a different stall who would just use a felt tip pen and a baked potato and just churn them out.

Bill Bailey is brilliant !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He had a TV series ages ago but the BBC never released them on DVD. Very disappointing. The TV series was brilliant!!!!!!!!!!But at least you can still get a couple of his live shows on DVD. For anyone interested they are called "Part Troll" and " Bewilderness". Great stuff!!!!!!