'General' Forum Split?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
DeadlyKungFu
Posts: 3603
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:26 pm

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:43 am

knotkranky wrote:We have a tips n tricks page?
yeah, it's great, check out the sticky. I made up the part about a general forum so people would think there was a place they could discuss just about anything.

forge
Posts: 17422
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:47 am
Location: Queensland, AU
Contact:

Post by forge » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:48 am

Astral Fridge Magnet wrote:[

Yes, I agree an instrument is anything at all that can be used to create music, but the key word is "create" and maybe the word "play" should be added too. Ok, there are different levels of musicianship. But by your definition (if I understand you correctly), you would say classify a person who has just learnt to play "Smoke On The Water" on only one string on the guitar as a "musician"? I know lots of people who fit into that category. They see a guitar at a party or wherever, pick it up (as a party piece) and for years the ONLY thing they have learnt to play is "Smoke On The Water". They are by your definition "creating" or "playing" music. Do you really think that qualifies them as a musician? I say no way!!

.
well, no but I think if they have decided they want to take it seriously and become one, then they could be a beginner musician!

I guess it's a big like calling the guy who puts the projector on the desk in conference rooms an audio visual "technician! :lol:

he he...pedant...pedant...pedant pedant pedant pedant pedaaaaaaant pedapadadant! [/mancini]

knotkranky
Posts: 4336
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: la

Post by knotkranky » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:57 am

DeadlyKungFu wrote:
knotkranky wrote:We have a tips n tricks page?
yeah, it's great, check out the sticky. I made up the part about a general forum so people would think there was a place they could discuss just about anything.
Riiiigghht. You should have made an OT sticky so people would read it. :roll:

Nogi
Posts: 480
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:18 am
Location: C@L

Post by Nogi » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:04 am

forge wrote: ...to compare andre segovia with Bill the 14 YO Garageband user is idiotic, but both of them are still musicians, they are just at different levels
For my money, a musician is anyone that believes it when say they are a musician. Further, I accept without prejudice ones assertion of purpose. Therefore, anyone that tells me they are a musician, is. All that other nonsense is for the marketing department to sort out.

One 'General' forum to rule them all!

njh
Posts: 484
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:58 am

Post by njh » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:24 am

im locking this thread.

Hypomixolydian
Posts: 812
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:54 pm

Post by Hypomixolydian » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:50 am

Nogi wrote:
For my money, a musician is anyone that believes it when say they are a musician. Further, I accept without prejudice ones assertion of purpose. Therefore, anyone that tells me they are a musician, is. All that other nonsense is for the marketing department to sort out.
So then, I guess that a patient in a mental asylum who believes he is Jesus Christ, Napoleon or whoever, and tells you that, then really must be that/those person/people according to you.

forge
Posts: 17422
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:47 am
Location: Queensland, AU
Contact:

Post by forge » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:18 am

Astral Fridge Magnet wrote:
Nogi wrote:
For my money, a musician is anyone that believes it when say they are a musician. Further, I accept without prejudice ones assertion of purpose. Therefore, anyone that tells me they are a musician, is. All that other nonsense is for the marketing department to sort out.
So then, I guess that a patient in a mental asylum who believes he is Jesus Christ, Napoleon or whoever, and tells you that, then really must be that/those person/people according to you.
now we're getting a bit abstract

you know what he (and I) meant! :P :lol:

Hypomixolydian
Posts: 812
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:54 pm

Post by Hypomixolydian » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:17 pm

forge wrote:
Astral Fridge Magnet wrote:
Nogi wrote:
For my money, a musician is anyone that believes it when say they are a musician. Further, I accept without prejudice ones assertion of purpose. Therefore, anyone that tells me they are a musician, is. All that other nonsense is for the marketing department to sort out.
So then, I guess that a patient in a mental asylum who believes he is Jesus Christ, Napoleon or whoever, and tells you that, then really must be that/those person/people according to you.
now we're getting a bit abstract

you know what he (and I) meant! :P :lol:

I guess you think I am being too literal or pedantic (probably a consequence of my studies during my university years). Maybe I am, but I still maintain my point that loads of people use the term musician too loosely. So excuse me if you think I am being too pompous about this issue, but I am sticking to my guns with this one.
Last edited by Hypomixolydian on Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Machinate
Posts: 11646
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:15 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Post by Machinate » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:35 pm

Astral Fridge Magnet wrote:I guess you think I am being too literal or pedantic (no doubt a consequence of my studies during my university years). Maybe I am, but I still maintain my point that loads of people use the term musician too loosely. So excuse me if you think I am being too pompous about this issue, but I am sticking to my guns with this one.
hear hear.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Hypomixolydian
Posts: 812
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:54 pm

Post by Hypomixolydian » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:42 pm

Machinate wrote: hear hear.
"Hear, hear" to the point that I am being too pompous, or my point about the term musician being used too loosely?

Machinate
Posts: 11646
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:15 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Post by Machinate » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:44 pm

Astral Fridge Magnet wrote:
Machinate wrote: hear hear.
"Hear, hear" to the point that I am being too pompous, or my point about the term musician being used too loosely?
the latter
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Poster
Posts: 8804
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:21 am
Location: Amsterdam

Post by Poster » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:07 pm

splitting the general forum is a bad idea;

once you have an 'off topic' forum, that section will get less attention,
so off topic posters will post in general 'on topic' again..
this will lead to even more chaos, and wanted moderation..

I vote for an 'ignore this thread' option..
So every visitor can decide which topics will be shown on the screen..
(!! this is not an 'ignore user' function, as discussed before)

There can be a checkbox next to each subject; once checked this topic will not be shown in future visits..
Now that would really clean up the general forum..
Call it private moderation..

b0unce
Posts: 5379
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:16 pm

Post by b0unce » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:38 pm

Poster wrote: once you have an 'off topic' forum, that section will get less attention,
so off topic posters will post in general 'on topic' again..
this will lead to even more chaos, and wanted moderation..
heard of tabbed browsing poster? its great, you should really try it.
Poster wrote: I vote for an 'ignore this thread' option..
So every visitor can decide which topics will be shown on the screen..
(!! this is not an 'ignore user' function, as discussed before)
ya - so every time you visit you can play 'tick the fucking ridiculous thread' game. Gee that will be loads of fun.

on the topic of ATTENTION - I think the point is that there is alot of unwanted attention here in this particular General section. Lots of democrats, lots of republicans, lots of cats falling off something, lots & lots of pictures of george W bush acting like a clown....it would be sweet if all of that mess could be in a different section and thus in a nice little tab on each individuals browser - wow those guys were really thinking out of the box with that tabbed browsing idea. So then, at least...when you click on the general forum.....it would be all about music, and stuff pertaining to making or performing etc.

yes, inevitably there would be less NOISE/traffic ...but at least it would be all music related, and the same community of people can still bicker & argue in that handy little tab right next to it. Such an elegant concept, tabbed browsing.

I'm not even saying I wouldnt join the OT stuff, but god damn I dont want to see it everyday...I just want to talk shit about music to be honest.


I'm baffled by some people's insistance that it should remain the way it is, you people are coming up with every excuse imaginable.....what that says to me, is that you get more out of the wanky OT BS, then you do about talking about music ?
what are you afraid of ? that you'll find you'll only ever spend time talking shit in the OT section and that would be embarassing or something ?

seriously, dont stand in the way of progress for your own selfish wants - we need a seperate section for all the NOISE


in the event of a dedicated Off-The-Topic-Of-Music section...all we'd need is one or two community spirited posters to be given moderator status, and all they'd have to do is move threads from HERE, into the proposed NOISE section. no biggie.
spreader of butter

monoschall
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:35 pm

wow this thread really

Post by monoschall » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:31 pm

wobbled between on/off topic! :D

but hey, the logic users group had an OT forum AND it was well used - why should live users be any different?

Hypomixolydian
Posts: 812
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:54 pm

Post by Hypomixolydian » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:57 pm

Machinate wrote:
Astral Fridge Magnet wrote:
Machinate wrote: hear hear.
"Hear, hear" to the point that I am being too pompous, or my point about the term musician being used too loosely?
the latter
Thank you for clearing that up!!

Post Reply