XP to OSX?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

XP to OSX?

Post by Tarekith » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:02 pm

Hey guys, well, looks like my jump to OSX from the Windows world I've gotten used to over the last 12+ years is going to happen sometime this week now that the new MBP's are out.

So, looking for any advice from people who know OSX well, or have made the jump from XP to OSX.

- Basically, anything you'd recommend doing once I get it home (besides have fun), etc?

- Any tips and tricks you'd recommend to an Apple newbie?

- Was authorizing the OSX version of Live difficult, if you have an XP version already registered on another machine?

- Anything I should be aware of when setting up Boot Camp (I already have an XPSP2 disc)?

- How do I set up a new data partition that both OSX and XP can access?

Thanks!

sqook

Re: XP to OSX?

Post by sqook » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:13 pm

Tarekith wrote:- Any tips and tricks you'd recommend to an Apple newbie?
Don't overthink things. When you run into the "I know exactly how to do this on Windows, but...." situations, 90% of the time, the solution is right in front of your face, but may not be obvious to you.
- Was authorizing the OSX version of Live difficult, if you have an XP version already registered on another machine?
Make sure to email the abes and ask for a serial number bump.
- Anything I should be aware of when setting up Boot Camp (I already have an XPSP2 disc)?
Print out the instructions first. Other than that, it's really a breeze to set up.
During the XP installation when you have to format the hard disk, choose FAT32 instead of NTFS.

musick

Post by musick » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:54 pm

Tarekith wrote: - Anything I should be aware of when setting up Boot Camp (I already have an XPSP2 disc)?
Bootcamp only works with a 'two-partition' scheme of your disk. So if you plan to make more partitions on your disk you still can make the machine dual boot, but it takes a bit more work.

frisbeedisk

Post by frisbeedisk » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:57 pm

Dont do it Tarekith, Dont do it.....no im only kidding..Good Luck, and may the force be with you!!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:02 pm

Can you explain some more? I've been told as long as the partitions are FAT32, it's not an issue.

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:26 pm

in the same boat.

another thing is what about that file size limitation of fat32, what is it something like 2gigs?...
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

mechcon

Post by mechcon » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:39 pm

stale bread wrote:in the same boat.

another thing is what about that file size limitation of fat32, what is it something like 2gigs?...

iMac 2.16GHz, MacBookPro 2.4GHz, OS10.5.4, Logic Studio, Live6.0.10, Reason4, Presonus Firebox, EvoMK429c, BehringerUMX25, Korg PadKontrol, NovationRemoteSL0.

http://www.mechanisedconvulsions.com

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:43 pm

being an experienced XP/pc user you will find OSX a dream to use.
enjoy
spreader of butter

hyerstay

Post by hyerstay » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:03 pm

Tarekith wrote:Hey guys, well, looks like my jump to OSX from the Windows world I've gotten used to over the last 12+ years is going to happen sometime this week now that the new MBP's are out.

So, looking for any advice from people who know OSX well, or have made the jump from XP to OSX.

- Basically, anything you'd recommend doing once I get it home (besides have fun), etc?

- Any tips and tricks you'd recommend to an Apple newbie?

Thanks!
First of all, come join us at BigBlueLounge (formerly OSXAudio), for lots of good advice and people regarding OS X and audio stuff.

My setup suggestions are simple. No partitions (unless you want boot camp, and you do that later). Have an external drive for backup and clone with superduper or carbon copy cloner or disk utility. When you create your first user, the long name can be changed later, but the short one can't (without extra work), so pick something you like. It defaults to firstlast, but I just use First. Use whatever you like, but realize it will be the name of your user folder that you shouldn't change.

Otherwise, just keep it simple. OS X is easy and you don't need to tweak it for audio performance.

jason

hyerstay

Post by hyerstay » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:08 pm

BTW, I use NTFS with boot camp, which means i can't write to the pc partition from the mac one. However, I got MacDrive for windows to read my mac partitions in Windows. I believe there is another program that does that too, but I can't remember the name. If you aren't using the win partition for music, I would recommend Paralells instead. It is 95% the speed, with no rebooting. I will soon be deleting my boot camp partition in favor of parallels. I've been running the vista beta in parallels for a month with no problems yet.

jason

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:19 pm

Yeah, it's looking like PArallels will dow hat i want better than Boot Camp. the NTFS thing is annoying.

(as I sit here waiting for my (previously NTFS) 400GB external drive to format in FAT32 now).

scientist

Post by scientist » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:33 pm

hyerstay wrote:I've been running the vista beta in parallels for a month with no problems yet.
can you get the whole 'aero glass' graphics thing working in this way, or is it just the stripped down interface? i've heard intel macs (or most computers for that matter) don't have the juice to run the fancy 3d graphics...

gomi

Post by gomi » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:01 pm

Tarekith wrote:Yeah, it's looking like PArallels will dow hat i want better than Boot Camp. the NTFS thing is annoying.

(as I sit here waiting for my (previously NTFS) 400GB external drive to format in FAT32 now).
the nice thing about parallels (provided you dont need to run anything that
need timing and graphics) is that you can actually access your entire osx drive
for storage space. i made a very minimal install of windows. 2GB. thats it. by
installing the parallel tools that are included you get a shared folder within the
windows system that can be linked to any folder on your osx system.
which means.

mechcon

Post by mechcon » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:06 pm

also parallels isn't designed for 3d effects either (hasn't got the 'drivers' as such yet)

but they're working on it :D

alternatively, have you looked into Crossover? run windows apps "natively" in osx without installing windows!
iMac 2.16GHz, MacBookPro 2.4GHz, OS10.5.4, Logic Studio, Live6.0.10, Reason4, Presonus Firebox, EvoMK429c, BehringerUMX25, Korg PadKontrol, NovationRemoteSL0.

http://www.mechanisedconvulsions.com

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:06 pm

That's perfect. I only need Parallels right now for Wavelab, I know fromt eh Steiny forums it works in parallels, it was storing tha output files that had me curious.

Thanks for the info everyone, I appreciate all the help!