Start/Stop recording with MIDI pedal?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
patrickkidd

Start/Stop recording with MIDI pedal?

Post by patrickkidd » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:03 am

I am looking to use a foot control to start and stop recording a loop so that I can free up my hands while I play a loop. Does anyone know how to set this up? I've got a normal pedal made for use with a keyboard. cheers!

j0shu@

Post by j0shu@ » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:30 am

do a search. the fcb1010 is a fave around here...

that is probably not a midi pedal, but a sustain pedal.

no go there....

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:19 pm

j0shu@ wrote:do a search. the fcb1010 is a fave around here...

that is probably not a midi pedal, but a sustain pedal.

no go there....
Hmm, I actually do start and stop of recordings with my "sustain-pedal" ...

Just check if the pedal you have is sending a midi-message, if so, go to midi assign mode and assign a blank clip in session view to it. When the corresponding track is armed you can start and stop the recording by pressing the pedal. When you stop the recording the clip will start playing. Check the global quantization, you might want to have it starting on a bar or on every second bar or whatever fits your needs.

For more advanced looping techniques you might need more pedals - for arming different tracks etc.

For just recording one track and then looped playback of that track one pedal is enough.

j0shu@

Post by j0shu@ » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:37 am

a sustain pedal like this?

this is just a momentary switch. i dont see how live can respond to this....

generally if you refer to a keyboard sustain pedal this is what you are talking about, no?

what do you have that transmits midi?

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:18 pm

Yes, that's more or less what i've got. The keyboard has midi. And a plug for the sustain pedal. When you use the sustain pedal a midi message gets send from the keyboard to the computer.

j0shu@

Post by j0shu@ » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:08 pm

ahhh, the keyboard sends the message.

i just didnt think it was possible directly talking to the computer.

cool! i have an old one of these i might dig up...

Buleriachk

Re: Start/Stop recording with MIDI pedal?

Post by Buleriachk » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:15 pm

For Windows there is a free keyboard layout configuration program, "Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator"

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=22339

The default when you bring it up will disable all keys except the space bar (as I remember), but if disabled you can always enable it). In any case, you can save and load various layouts; for me, bringing the program up disables every thing except the spacebar; exiting the program brings the normal keyboard back. I haven't tested if it lets you choose between two concurrent keyboards yet...

You can then use the keyboard with all keys disabled (except the spacebar) as a footswitch - gluing a riser to the top of the spacebar will make it even better (and there are other ways I can think of as well)..

(Note: you can set the spacebar to any character you want, including record in/out).... Or you could glue risers to additional keys to trigger them with your foot, limited only by the room on the keyboard and the accuracy of your big toe... :)

This means you don't have to remove the other keys from the keyboard, since only the space bar will be active.

FWIW, YMMV, etc