[OT] How do you deal with stress?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hambone1

[OT] How do you deal with stress?

Post by hambone1 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:10 am

I'm curious as to how others deal with the stresses of everyday life. I know for some it's escapism into drugs, booze, self-flagellation, etc, but I'm interested in a healthier alternative!

So what do you all do when the pressure's on?

forge

Post by forge » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:27 am

brightonalex

Post by brightonalex » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:30 am

Exercise. When I started making myself exercise my seretonin levels went through the roof, I started sleeping properly, its unbelievable.

Doctors prescribe it to people with mild depression, but people get annoyed thinking the idea is ridiculous.

For stress in particular games like tennis and squash are really good. It channels aggression, and afterwards you are too tired to feel stressed. Honestly it is the best thing i think.

ciw

Post by ciw » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:43 am

second the exercise. it just throws everything into a very different perspective, makes you realise you can actually cope with all the shit that's bothering you.

rock climbing is awesome, it's like a mix of exercise, meditation and many other things, but it unfortunately takes all day. to get lots more endorphins in much less time, go for a run. it's difficult at first, before you realise that you actually like the feeling!

just been starting to learn meditation too. that's definitely useful, but (for me, right now) not nearly as powerful as exercise.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:45 am

naaa, excercise stresses me out.........oh, I do it.......even though it doesn't look like it :lol:

I can tell you what doesn't work..........over the counter "supplements" like st johns wart/kava/etc........

You'll get high at first, but it makes allot of people edgy after a while.

Ya know, beleive it or not...........I think some basic computer games like solitare or simular work to some degree........

ciw

Post by ciw » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:50 am

eyeknow wrote: Ya know, beleive it or not...........I think some basic computer games like solitare or simular work to some degree........
you're right in some ways, (not for me though I have rsi!)

i almost never watch telly. however, sometimes I actually have a need for passive entertainment. it's not good if that goes unfulfilled. your brain needs time to think, to be active, to create, to reflect, to sleep and yes also to vegetate.

rentanutta
Location: Left hand corner of the Batcave, Just by the Batumbrella

Post by rentanutta » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:52 am

Exercise, sex and blowing shit up on my PSP/PS2

Those seem to work for me.
Dell Dimension 9100 Desktop, Win XP SP2 Home, Soundblaster Audigy 7.1 Soundcard,2GB Ram , 400 GB Hard Drive, Live 5, M-Audio O2 Midi Keyboard

Also run Reason 3 with no issues.

minimal

Post by minimal » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:54 am

a walk in the nature will do it for me most of the times.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:07 pm

I run or mountain bike daily to cut down on stress, walks in the woods are good too. If it's the weekend, a nice bottle of wine and a quiet dinner at home with the wife works wonders too (well, as long as she's in a good mood).

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:16 pm

taking a hot shower then learning to switch from really hot to cold (not freezing so u give urself a heart attack) helps the nerves and stuff too

i also feel refreshed a day or two after i get on the piss

also proper breathing is important using ur diaphragm isntead of chest for breathing is better for anxiety as small amounts of adrenaline get released whenever you use your chest.

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:44 pm

I don't get too stressed lately... although I have had good reason to be stressed.

I do workout 6 days a week, and have a personal trainer 3 days a week. I am captain of my lacrosse team, and also play golf. I am actually healthier than I've ever been in my life. Not sure if that has much to do with it or not. But it seems to be a common link among the others who posted in this thread... so maybe that's it?
M-Tech D900T laptop, 17" WSXGA+ wide-screen, Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz HT (600 series) 2 MB cache, 2048 RAM (Dual Channel DDR2 PC4200 533 MHz), Dual hard drives: 80 gig x 2 = 160 gig SATA 5400 rpm (RAID 0 config)
Korg Zero 8 mixer/soundcard/MIDI

Benshik

Post by Benshik » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:55 pm

i like to observe people.

to go to a cafe, a park or a street ive never been before and look at people. it calms me down and makes me realise that the things i get nervous for are so futile...

Ben
Macbook 2.2ghz, OS 10.5.2, Focusrite Saffire, Microkontrol, Lemur

dodgyedgy

Post by dodgyedgy » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:05 pm

Drinking and killing.

Cant recommend it enough.

Booze, drugs, whores and murder.

Or exercise and writing music..

besides a little healthy stress never did anyone any harm!

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:47 pm

dodgyedgy wrote:Drinking and killing.

Cant recommend it enough.

Booze, drugs, whores and murder.

Or exercise and writing music..

besides a little healthy stress never did anyone any harm!
:twisted:
HA HA HA :twisted:

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:20 pm

Thanks for the replies!

Trying to de-stress using the power of positive thought used to work for me, but now it seems to backfire. The more I try to not think about the stressors, the more it makes me think about them!

I'm sure exercise helps. But when I'm stressed, it's the last thing I want to do.

A little stress is probably not a bad thing, particularly if it helps you to get stuff done. As a proscratinator, I know that all too well. I'm my own worst enemy...