MPD24 vs PadKontrol vs. TriggerFinger

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rbmonosylabik

MPD24 vs PadKontrol vs. TriggerFinger

Post by rbmonosylabik » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:19 pm

I've been thinking of getting a Percussion Pads controller, and today I became aware of the existence of the MPD24, which made me go WHOA! with the price.

So, I want to ask you guys which one is the best? You know, talking about pad sensitivity, features, compatibility, value for the money, user experience, etc. Also, other similar gear options would be appreciated.

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

formatk

Post by formatk » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:53 pm

I'm in the same boat here too... any thoughts on what's built best for hammering loops and hits out with.
http://www.myspace.com/formatk
http://www.karlsadler.com
http://www.kandledesign.com

Artist & Visualist
MacBook Pro C2D 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM Live 7.0.14, OSX10.6.2, Launchpad, AkaiMPD24, Akai S20, Oxygen 8, Presonus Inspire, Rode NT1a/M3, Shure SM58

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:56 pm

I've said this a gazillion times since last march I think. PadKontrol has the best triggering of all of them. Period. Now, you can argue that the faders and knobs on the MPD are cool or not, but that doesn't change the fact that the PadKontrol has them.

Now, in a totally different league you'll find things like the Roland Handsonic and the Zendrum - both of them totally slay the others.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:34 am

Machinate wrote:I've said this a gazillion times since last march I think. PadKontrol has the best triggering of all of them. Period. Now, you can argue that the faders and knobs on the MPD are cool or not, but that doesn't change the fact that the PadKontrol has them.
I think I read here a while ago that the TriggerFinger has problems detecting some triggers, specially on the sides of the pads. Why is that?

Also, how do the MPD pads compare to the PadKontrol's?

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:53 am

i just got my mpd earlier today....the pads are decent, but the sensitivity is a whol lot better than the triger finger, the only problem i have is with their librarian software, hopefully the good people at akai will help me tomorow. but overall i am glad with my purchase.

i woulday the pads dont feel as thick as the 2500, but is more closer to the 2000xl pads, and the sensitivity is good too. never tried the pad kontrol so i cant compare.

Acidfever

Post by Acidfever » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:20 am

I purchased the PadKontrol and am totally amazed about the quality and ease of use.

The only comment from me could eb a 16 levels like sollution and the A to D knobs which make it really easy to map a lot of notes.

The pads on de PadKontrol are better than anything i've ever felt from akai, the response is very very good, even at the sides. The Roll/flam sollution through the X-Y pad is very well implemented indeed.

The lighting behind the pads is great to be able to distinct note pads from controller pads.

The extra sliders and such could be nice on the MPD24, i haven't been able to check the 24....i did check the MPD16 and that was really not good enough imho.

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:58 am

After reading this thread and needing a pad trigger device for some time I decided on the padKONTROL. Picked it up today and really am impressed with the quality. I had to configure for IMPULSE and the Superior "demo" that comes with it is lame (only 1 tom tom? WTF!) but although it is really light it sticks to my desk like nobody's business and feels really good. I will second the comment about the pads being very sensitive. I was able to get them to trigger at a velocity of 15 and a high of 127...not bad. I just spent the last three hours with them and am very happy with the purchase.
check out chipPad for iPad @ http://earsmack.com

Contra

Post by Contra » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:15 pm

do you know if there will be aany releases to make it auto compatible(without having to tweak stuff in LIVE).

is the trigger finger auto setup for Live?

kinda like what the novation SL is supposed to be only for midi drum triggers

CITYSTATE

Post by CITYSTATE » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:05 pm

i got a padkontrol last night and it is nice so far. pads feel nice, scene 21 automatically maps out redrum, haven't tried it with live yet.

coverdale76

Post by coverdale76 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:30 pm

Hi every:

Somebodies in this forum posted some problems about padKontrol as the link below:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

Do you guys got this one with these problems?
Oversensitive and can't be operated live? With bad pads on it?(Bad Quality Controll?)
Last edited by coverdale76 on Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toshiba M50, XP SP2, M-Audio Firewire 1814, Oxygen 8, UC33e, Korg padKONTROL, Roland V-Drum TD-8

went to the gypsy

Post by went to the gypsy » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:45 pm

I have both the PadKontrol and the TriggerFinger.

TriggerFinger sucks; PadKontrol is pure triggering bliss.

A few minutes with Triggerfinger and I am seriously fantisizing using a hammer on it. PadKontrol is a sweet, responsive little missy.

-wttg-

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:49 pm

Machinate wrote:I've said this a gazillion times since last march I think. PadKontrol has the best triggering of all of them. Period. Now, you can argue that the faders and knobs on the MPD are cool or not, but that doesn't change the fact that the PadKontrol has them.

Now, in a totally different league you'll find things like the Roland Handsonic and the Zendrum - both of them totally slay the others.
100% agreed!!! i used to have an mpc and i played on a trigger finger a few times, i recently bought a padKONTROL and the pads are simply the best. if you are after other functions, more faders / knobs then fine otherwise padKONTROL all the way and the lack of aftertouch is not an issue due to the X/Y pad and the flam / roll so you can create easy 'aftertouch'
*** Image GAFM ***

arpeggiocolour

Post by arpeggiocolour » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:31 am

I'm not really an expert on the subject (haven't tried the Padkontrol or Triggerfinger), but I just got my MPD24 a few days ago and I love it! My only complaint is that the pads max out at 127 velocity without hitting them too hard, so yeah, it's not that easy to make beats with dynamic velocities. Other than that, I think the MPD24 is a perfect addition to my setup (currently with a laptop and an Emu Xboard49). It's especially interesting to assign clip launching/stopping to the different pads for a new kind of beat juggling.

Architect

Post by Architect » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:48 am

I love my trigger finger you just have to get used to hitting the pads. I haven't used the padkontrol but it sounds like a good choice too.
Dope Hip-Hop Production
http://www.myspace.com/infinitarchitect
Live 6.07/FL Studio 7 Producer Edition/Recycle/Battery 3/Kontakt 2/Motif ES6/Yamaha EX5/Akai MPC 2500/NI KORE Controller/2x Technic 1200s

jb61264

Post by jb61264 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:25 am

I tried both the PadKontrol and MPD24 and went with the MPD24 because (IMHO) I thought the pads responded better and figured that Akai has been making pads for quite some time that they probably have it figured out pretty welll...it just seemed to me that the MPD24 pads responded better...also, I liked the fact that there were more controls available on the MPD24 with the 6 sliders and 8 knobs.
arpeggiocolour wrote:but I just got my MPD24 a few days ago and I love it! My only complaint is that the pads max out at 127 velocity without hitting them too hard
Just a reply to arpeggiocolour...you know you can cconfigure the sensitivity of the pads...take a look at the manual, there are actually two configurations for pad sensitivity in the MPD24...you can adjust the pad sensitivity and you can also modify the velocity response of the pads...very handy for getting just the right feel for how hard or soft you want to be able to hit your pads.
3.2 GHz Windows XP, Live 7, Reason 4, FL Studio 7, Stylus RMX, Sytrus, Toxic III, Novation X-Station 49, Akai MPD24, EMu XK6, Roland MC-303, Gemini BPM5000 Mixer, MBox