The Covert Operators: The Covert Seq

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:06 am

D DAS wrote:well i put an arp at the beginning of the seq. to adjust between 8th note and 16th. it does control something for sure, not sure what but it will slow down the sequence if asdjusted to 8th or 1/4
You need to Trigger the right pattern.

I just sent an update to everybody. 1/1, 1/2 and 1/4 patterns are now included.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:07 am

emptypond wrote:im feeling a little dumb, because im not exactly sure how this simplifies things? whats the advantages of this method over using the old fashioned piano roll to program a drumbeat/bassline or whatever? and is the impulse 128 preset included in the package or is that a special for DKF only? thanks for any insights! :oops:
Hey, it's included in the latest update.
I've mailed it to all the Covert Seq users.

Cheers

- B

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:29 am

john gordon wrote:i must be a fucking idiot .i cant get this thing too work. first,when i turn down the velocity on any of the steps it still makes noise. forget it.even when i turn the steps off it still makes noise.i turned off the whole drum seq. and im just hearing a sound looping over and over.i just dont get it.
Turning off the steps will only let the original signal be bypassed.

Setting the velocity to 0 mutes the steps.
Load the preset "4 on the floor" to see this clearly.

Cheers

- Bjorn

emptypond

Post by emptypond » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:26 pm

is it possible to make chord1/2 velocity 0% instead of 1% so its possible to completely mute these like main velocity setting? i can see this is a limitation of the chord tool but maybe u know some magical workaround? :lol:

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:40 pm

emptypond wrote:is it possible to make chord1/2 velocity 0% instead of 1% so its possible to completely mute these like main velocity setting? i can see this is a limitation of the chord tool but maybe u know some magical workaround? :lol:
There is a magical workaround. In the Step racks, place the chord plugin before the velocity plugins. That will mute (gate) anything that has a velocity of 1.

I'll include that in the next update.

Cheers

- Bjorn

emptypond

Post by emptypond » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:10 pm

is it possible to access the 128 different samples with one knob? im not able to reach the last several impulse units, the pitch has a range of +/- 48 so that does that mean im only able to access 96 samples with one knob?

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:49 pm

emptypond wrote:is it possible to access the 128 different samples with one knob? im not able to reach the last several impulse units, the pitch has a range of +/- 48 so that does that mean im only able to access 96 samples with one knob?
You need to combine the global pitch with the step pitch to add things up.
I could make a another preset that has 2 pitch plugins, so you can reach the full range without moving the global pitch.

The impulse 128 was made as a template. I didn't actually thing that somebody would fill up all the slots. Though with the layering capabilities of the sequencer, I can see why it would be useful.

There will be a new update in a few days.

Cheers

- The Covert Operators

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:55 pm

I thought of another addition, haven't looked into implementing it yet, just got up. (why do the best ideas come when you're in the shower?)

Make a light show to indicate which step is playing. On my BCR (for example) if each step turned on a different cc# while it was playing and I assigned the 16 buttons in the middle of the BCR to those cc#s the buttons would follow the pattern.

I need to dig into the rack to see what I could use.

Just an idea.

settle

Post by settle » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:20 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
D DAS wrote:well i put an arp at the beginning of the seq. to adjust between 8th note and 16th. it does control something for sure, not sure what but it will slow down the sequence if asdjusted to 8th or 1/4
You need to Trigger the right pattern.

I just sent an update to everybody. 1/1, 1/2 and 1/4 patterns are now included.
thanx
great idea by the way. ive always wanted a vst version of the P3 sequencer. seems to be the best try so far. so good, that ive been searching for a small 16 knob controller with loads of presets, endless rotery knobs and buttons to change clips. im trying to stay small, so i dont like the bcr... seems like the Evolution UC17 X- SESSION would be the cheapest, best bet.
if anyone has other suggestions let me know.
asus m6n 1.7 pentium M, esx-1, Nord G2, sh-101.
http://www.xhhx.org

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:20 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
emptypond wrote:is it possible to access the 128 different samples with one knob? im not able to reach the last several impulse units, the pitch has a range of +/- 48 so that does that mean im only able to access 96 samples with one knob?
You need to combine the global pitch with the step pitch to add things up.
I could make a another preset that has 2 pitch plugins, so you can reach the full range without moving the global pitch.

The impulse 128 was made as a template. I didn't actually thing that somebody would fill up all the slots. Though with the layering capabilities of the sequencer, I can see why it would be useful.

There will be a new update in a few days.

Cheers

- The Covert Operators
To follow up on this:

I reworked the drum sequencer for the impulse 128 (or any other drum machine).
You can deactivate layered steps by turning down the chord velocity. Velocity of 1 is now 0. It starts adding notes as soon as you reach velocity 2.

I also figured out a way to make the BCR 'lightshow' happen.
There are a few options for that:

- You can make the lights indicate which step is playing.

- You can make the lights indicate which steps are active or not.

- You can do both if you spread it over 2 presets.

It's also possible to let the lights indicate which step is playing, while being able to use the buttons to mute/unmute a step. But then you cant have lights that indicate which steps are active.

Any thoughts on that would be nice.

An update should be along later this week.

Cheers

- B

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:20 pm

Any thoughts on the BCR thing?

Check the CovOps site for a new automapping protocol.
It's a trimmed down version of the original BCR layout.
Leaving more controls free to assign them to whatever you wish.

Cheers

- B

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:55 pm

sorry, I didn't realise it was a question.

Having the top row of buttons show which step is playing at that moment would be great, I look at the velocity knob to see which steps are turned on.

I think spread across 2 is a great idea, I've been playing with a setup with 2 presets, steps 1-8 and 9-16. It works well, I start with a 4 beat pattern, move on to 8 then 16, add chord to different steps, some random velocity then do some improv while recording, then start over again, or re-route the midi to another instrument.

I've got my synth version set up with
group A - chord 1
group B - chord 2
group C - random velocity
group D - global settings

the bottom is
velocity
pitch
note length

I spent a looong time tweaking a drum version over the weekend, there are two obstacles I came across.
1 - encoders are too sensitive to pick drum parts, bumping up '1' value is a pretty sensitive operation, solution is to repeat drum notes, or change the rack routing bars.

2 - the chord settings don't reach out very far to grab other sounds, solution is to make each impulse with a variety of sounds, but with sensitive tweaking and the same sound over multiple impulse slots, that gets weird.

Actually I set up 4 presets, 2 for synth, 2 for drums.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:07 pm

If I had more macro's to work with, it would be very easy to give you a finer control with the pitch. I would add mulitple pitch knobs with smaller ranges.

But I think that I might just build a GUI for this thing.
So that you can have a clearer view of the steps.
But it'll be very minimalistic. Since this sequencer is so modular....

I'll look into the chord thing. I might be able to make a "new" chord device.

premodea

Post by premodea » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:39 pm

so what does this thing sound like? what would it cost in USD?

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:15 pm

It doesn't produce sound. It creates midi patterns that can control just about anything, so it will sound just like your favourite synth being played by mad robots on crack.

And the price in usd is 6.35 - paypal does the conversion for you, when you order it.

Andreas
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.