Whats your all time favourite bit of gear?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Adonis

Post by Adonis » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:58 pm

MPC 2000xl <-- so cool

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:58 pm

b0unce wrote:how come you sold/gave away your stuff, FaX ?

In and out of hospital some 20 odd times over 4 years (usual anywhere up too 4-6 weeks at a time) and alot of inbed recovery time at home.
So I decided around 3 years ago to sell it all off and go mobile so I could at least have a portable studio solution and keep writing/composing stuff.
It all funded my software and laptop / monitors / headphones / soundcard purchases etc.
Last year I spent around 3.5 - 4 months in hospital all up.
Though I am please to say I haven't been back in hospital once since major pancreatic surgery in Feb of this year :D .
Haven't needed any Vocodin , Oxycontin , Tramadol or Pethadine in over 7 months now also ( so its been great being off all the heavy duty pain med's they really fog the old grey matter up quite a bit).
Life without pain meds is fantastic I might add and living with chronic debilitating pain was an absolute bitch.
Still need to take pancreatic digestive enzyme supplements and am permanently on insulin as my pancreas is too damaged and doesn't produce any.
Can't have more than around 30-40gms of fat in my diet still either , no alcohol etc etc but I am the healthiest I've been in years.
I had a bitch of a recovery time post surgery at home though.
I still miss aspects of the hardware based approach and I had a bit more kit than that.
Been quite productive music wise since around the end of march with some 12 tracks completed so far this year.
The most productive I have been in ages.
I've also gone from 58.9kg's up to 79.6kgs in the last 6.5 months.
Trust me being 174cm tall and 58.9kg's is NOT a good look.
Hopefully will be finally returning back into the workforce next year also :) .
So it's all good in the end.
Don't ya just love a happy ending :wink: .
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

formatk

Post by formatk » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:02 am

Machinate wrote:
cosmosuave wrote:The Transcendant... I have never seen one of those ... Who made it and where?... Looks like a monosynth..
I believe Maplin made the line as kits in the mid- to late seventies. It is a monosynth, but it has the fattest fucking pwm I have EVER heard! It's just that good. And the filter self-resonance was amazing. Even the keys felt great.

I still have the whole thing in the attic. I should get it to see a tech, I really should. I'm just afraid of rejection :-(

Bummer. Even the Roland SH-2 I have here pales in comparison - and that's two osc with sub-oscillator.

:cry:
I'm pretty sure I got one of those kicking around, but without the case... Last time I played with it, it sounded very wonky from what I remember. I had to get my hands inside that the back and fiddle with some of the pots to get it werking.
http://www.myspace.com/formatk
http://www.karlsadler.com
http://www.kandledesign.com

Artist & Visualist
MacBook Pro C2D 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM Live 7.0.14, OSX10.6.2, Launchpad, AkaiMPD24, Akai S20, Oxygen 8, Presonus Inspire, Rode NT1a/M3, Shure SM58

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:18 am

Machinate wrote:The Transcendent 2000. Died after a fall from a keyboard stand shortly before a gig... yes.
http://port23.co.uk/synthdiy/trancendan ... index.html
has info, looks like there's a few pages out there. Might as well get it into a tech's hands as it might take them months to get it working again.

Check the power connections in the box, then play 'follow the signal' to see where the audio is getting lost and look at that block of electronics. Look for small burn spots, loose wires, loose solder joints, start with the obvious. It's tough for the hobbyist, at work I have oscilloscopes and stuff to do that kind of debugging. If you can borrow and o'scope you'd be golden. I always wanted an oscope at home to watch waveforms as I tweaked LFOs, ADSRs and created sounds.

If it worked for a bit after getting fixed they may have put a new voltage regulator in there that was underpowered, so it burned out.

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:24 am

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:40 am

DeadlyKungFu wrote:
Machinate wrote:The Transcendent 2000. Died after a fall from a keyboard stand shortly before a gig... yes.
http://port23.co.uk/synthdiy/trancendan ... index.html
has info, looks like there's a few pages out there. Might as well get it into a tech's hands as it might take them months to get it working again.

Check the power connections in the box, then play 'follow the signal' to see where the audio is getting lost and look at that block of electronics. Look for small burn spots, loose wires, loose solder joints, start with the obvious. It's tough for the hobbyist, at work I have oscilloscopes and stuff to do that kind of debugging. If you can borrow and o'scope you'd be golden. I always wanted an oscope at home to watch waveforms as I tweaked LFOs, ADSRs and created sounds.

If it worked for a bit after getting fixed they may have put a new voltage regulator in there that was underpowered, so it burned out.
yeah, I've been through all that. And the thing is: I am not up for an expensive repair on this. As much as I loved it it was "just" a bulky mono-synth, and I have an extremely compact rig these days. The thought of the repair alone costing 400€ or something would just kill me.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Poster

Post by Poster » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:41 am

my Nord Modular.. G1 that is..
G2 lacks balls i.m.h.o.

chewy

Post by chewy » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:46 am

My Allen and Heath XONE 62.

~chewy
I like trance.

Apple Macbook Pro 2010 13inch, Windows 7 64bit, no OSX, Live 7.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:57 am

Another Machinedrum-UW vote. I can sit at mine for hours making up weird beats. Definitely the most fun bit of gear I have.

The Ronin

Post by The Ronin » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:21 am

I can't be the only one with this fetish but here goes....TB-303!!! It is truely one of a kind. Emulate what you will, I'll take my little silver box to the grave and love every liquid moment of it.

I also second the Sherman Filterbank vote, another excellent piece!!!

My 2 Cents...

prospect

Post by prospect » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:59 am

Machinedrum !!!
I owned one for a few months but couldn't afford to keep it :(
damn rent in nyc.
cant wait till somebody gives me to look after for a few years or so :-)

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:39 pm

Top: circuit-bent Casio SK-1 (with tube distortion thing sitting on top of it)
2nd ever circuit bending project I undertook.

Bottom: Semi modular synth my brother built.
It's been on loan to me for the last 11 years!!!
It's ill-tempered but it sounds very nice.
The circuit bent stuff gets patched through it quite a bit.[/img]

rsagevik

Post by rsagevik » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:11 pm

My Synthesizers.com modular is highly appreciated!

stegi

Post by stegi » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:21 pm

my nord lead 2x ;)

brightonalex

Post by brightonalex » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:24 pm

It will be this

when I've bought one.