New spec Core 2 Duo MacBooks are out

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
brjclarke

New spec Core 2 Duo MacBooks are out

Post by brjclarke » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:06 pm

EvilEvilEvilEvilEvil

Post by EvilEvilEvilEvilEvil » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:18 pm

only the processor has changed. i wonder if you can still fry an egg on one :?

stegi

Post by stegi » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:19 pm

now...maybe two eggs :D

(anyway it will be my new computer) :wink:

robin

Post by robin » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:21 pm

EvilEvilEvilEvilEvil wrote:only the processor has changed. i wonder if you can still fry an egg on one :?
The new MBP C2D owners report much lower operating temps. Also this is Rev B Apple hardware for those that know what that means :wink:

I'm close to deciding on the black macbook at this stage (still want a small MBP though).

klangsulfat

Post by klangsulfat » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:24 pm

EvilEvilEvilEvilEvil wrote:only the processor has changed.
Not only the CPU. Double Layer Drive, more RAM, bigger HD. But no chip set which is optimized for Core2Duo. I think the next update will be much more sexy.

Mika

Post by Mika » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:39 pm

Wow I was about to buy a used Macbook !!! Glad the guy had sold it when I called; the new ones kick so much ass :D

muscleandhate

Post by muscleandhate » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:56 pm

When you think about it, £748 is a killer price for a machine of that specification. Apple have really pulled out the stops with the REV2 laptops, I'm impressed and somewhat jealous!

hardshell

Post by hardshell » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:10 pm

I have a lot of love for Apple, their products are truly inspired but it really pisses me off when they release a revised version of their product within a few months of the original being released, especially when it deals with known issues such as overheating.

I think all of us with the original MBPs should be entitled to hand them back under a product recall policy and get the 'new' ones that don't have any of the 'original' problems. I wouldn't mind beta-testing for Apple if it didn't cost ME nearly £2K to do it! :evil:

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:13 pm

hardshell wrote:I have a lot of love for Apple, their products are truly inspired but it really pisses me off when they release a revised version of their product within a few months of the original being released, especially when it deals with known issues such as overheating.

I think all of us with the original MBPs should be entitled to hand them back under a product recall policy and get the 'new' ones that don't have any of the 'original' problems. I wouldn't mind beta-testing for Apple if it didn't cost ME nearly £2K to do it! :evil:

You are an Apple user. You should be used to this sort of thing by now.
M-Tech D900T laptop, 17" WSXGA+ wide-screen, Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz HT (600 series) 2 MB cache, 2048 RAM (Dual Channel DDR2 PC4200 533 MHz), Dual hard drives: 80 gig x 2 = 160 gig SATA 5400 rpm (RAID 0 config)
Korg Zero 8 mixer/soundcard/MIDI

robin

Post by robin » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:15 pm

subterFUSE wrote: You are an Apple user. You should be used to this sort of thing by now.
Why?

I'm an Apple user. Never had any trouble.

hardshell

Post by hardshell » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:24 pm

The way I see it is like going to a Porsche dealer and picking up the latest Boxster, only to find out that a few months later the same car is being sold for the same price with a better sound-system, kick ass alloys and can go a bit faster while doing a few extra miles per gallon. You would feel slightly cheated, no?

I guess I have it easier than Windows users though. I would be gutted if I thought I'd bought a Porsche, but next time I got into the car it had turned into a Lada! :lol:

robin

Post by robin » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:27 pm

hardshell wrote:
The way I see it is like going to a Porsche dealer and picking up the latest Boxster, only to find out that a few months later the same car is being sold for the same price with a better sound-system, kick ass alloys and can go a bit faster while doing a few extra miles per gallon. You would feel slightly cheated, no?
Car analogies never hold in computing though. Computers can double in performance over the course of a year (PC or mac). Cars _never_ do that. :)

replicant6

Post by replicant6 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:29 pm

hardshell wrote:
I guess I have it easier than Windows users though. I would be gutted if I thought I'd bought a Porsche, but next time I got into the car it had turned into a Lada! :lol:

LOL. Actually, wouldn't it be more accurate to say that a Windows computer is like a Fiat? In the garage every weekend. A friend of mine once told me that Fiat stands for 'Fix it again, Tony'.

Anyway, those new MacBooks are sweet and I'm grabbing one ASAP. Anybody want to buy a 17" iMac Core Duo (original model) 1.83ghz with 1 gig of RAM? Sweet machine, but I want portability!

R6

Adonis

Post by Adonis » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:34 pm

Still it's a tough call

MacBook Pro or MacBook - something about that 13" screen turns me off...don't know what it is

I was looking at a refurb'd MacBook Pro duo core (1) still...the performance would still be second to none and it's a good $900 cheaper than what it was retail

a lot of options and it's great!!!

robin

Post by robin » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:39 pm

Adonis wrote:Still it's a tough call

MacBook Pro or MacBook - something about that 13" screen turns me off...don't know what it is
Funnily enough it's the large screen that stops me from getting an MBP
I was looking at a refurb'd MacBook Pro duo core (1) still...the performance would still be second to none and it's a good $900 cheaper than what it was retail
I'd go for the lower end MBP C2D (larger cache (2 vs 4MB), higher clocked video, pre-n wireless, all the bugs sorted out), it's a bargain. Not many people need that extra .17GHz and extra 128MB of vid memory.

I like small laptops otherwise I'd have the above.