Owners of sampler what are your thoughts?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Mike Goodwin

Owners of sampler what are your thoughts?

Post by Mike Goodwin » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:47 pm

I am rethinking sampler and am wndering what people that have been working with it for a few months think of it. I am not so interested in debating the price of it but more of just how you find it.

Any feedback would be cool

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:49 pm

I love it - I usually don't have heaps of samples in one track, but for live use I really dig it - I can just pile stuff in there, and it does everything I need.

Oh, and I use it for special effects as well - there's something about the Live LFOs that I really really dig, don't know why.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:58 pm

Its great...does its own thing.
I suppose there is a few things I would like but nothing that fuc*s me off too much, it works for me (I love samplers). I use simpler loads but if I need to go further I'll use sampler.
Plus I think its worth the money (Ableton has very fair pricing imo anyway, so you can't go wrong).
If its between k2 and sampler, I'd take sampler cause it does the job for me.
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:10 am

The biggest thing for me, is hat it is incredibly fast in Live to make a patch out of another instrument. For example, if a patch is too cpu heavy on another synth, but you still want to be able to have the clip as midi, you can throw it in sampler really fast, just like simpler (but more options, and layering).
I mentioned in another post that I've been using it this way for N.I.'s new Massive synth. Case in point. Massive kills on cpu, and I'm using the demo right now. Enter sampler. Similarly, it's good for recording just about anything and throwing into sampler, as is demonstrated in the sampler video.
Of course you can do this with any synth, but the great thing is that it all happens in one window. Record to a clip. Drag the clip to sampler's window. get tweakin'. Gotta love that.

Then you have proper modulation and all the other little goodies simpler doesn't have. Like the fm osc, which can add a nice (or nasty) touch to sound, and a good filter.
I still like kontakt 2 for sampler libraries, and it's great for drums (which I'd never use sampler for), and other stuff, but for quick sample patch sound design, can't beat sampler.

grb
Professional Shark Jumper.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:01 am

they need to improve workflow....

Its a pain-in-the-ass to sample a synth patch and map it to the appropriate keys, I hope they improve workflow before feature-set
spreader of butter

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:06 pm

Great extension of Live. If you like the way Live works but crave more then get sampler. Same can be said that if you enjoy simpler- sampler is simpler with more options and capabilities. It does multis but i think where it really shines is quickly mangling one shots and loops. gotta agree with bounce that even though the workflow is good it can be greatly improved.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:17 pm

Here's my review from the Live D's site:

http://www.abletonlivedj.com/index.php? ... &Itemid=87
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
InnerPortalStudio.com - Professional Audio Mastering

forge

Post by forge » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:57 pm

I love it

the thing is really about the really nice sounds you get out of it so quickly

wal

sampler is a toy

Post by wal » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:18 pm

well, so far I am dissapointed.I started out in digital arena with hardware samplers- roland dj70 and then akai 3000xl. What I could do with either of those machines puts this sampler in the toy catagory. For example, for the most part, effects are global,meaning you cannot assign one effect or multiple effects and filters to just one sample. Also, how you load and replace samples is rediculous. This thing is a waste of money and i'm pissed.
g4 laptop live 5.02 tiger metric halo mobile io 2882 stylus guitar rig ems synthi hi fli elasticated teflon ( as a horn with efx )

LOFA

Re: sampler is a toy

Post by LOFA » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:54 pm

wal wrote:well, so far I am dissapointed.I started out in digital arena with hardware samplers- roland dj70 and then akai 3000xl. What I could do with either of those machines puts this sampler in the toy catagory. For example, for the most part, effects are global,meaning you cannot assign one effect or multiple effects and filters to just one sample. Also, how you load and replace samples is rediculous. This thing is a waste of money and i'm pissed.
That'll keep 'em on their toes!

I think it's great that there is so much constructive criticsm coming out of this thread.

Sampler could have been sold as an autonomous plugin, imo, but it would probably have been beaten by the desire to use more established, evolved ones (ie: Kontakt, etc). The fact that it is part of the live program means that (and I could be wrong) that there will be free modifications, maintainance, and improvements. I would not be surprised after seeing so many improvements to the file/preset management, "automapping" and routing capabilities if this tool becomings increasingly powerful, progressively as live is updated.

So far the makers of live seem to love their product like a child. I get a feeling the sum of its parts is still too young to drink in the states. WHat I mean by this is: There are much bigger things to come.

Sampler is as powerful as it is unique, regarding its features. I feel it's worth every penny. On a more esoteric note, if your gonna go to mortons or Ruths's Chris I recommend the filet.

noisetonepause
Location: Second row from the expensive puddle, under ten others

Post by noisetonepause » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:22 am

Sampler is a bit like Operator, Beat Repeat, Saturator, etc... They might not be the 'most advanced' Sampler/FM-synth/Beat juggler/Distortion plug in available, and they may not give you all the parameters you might want on those really long wednesdays, but you can just chuck stuff in there and play with the controls and get something nice..

I can see how some people might feel that Sampler is a bit dumbed down compared to a 3000XL or Kontakt or MSP or a C++ compiler, but it's also easy to get to grips with.. And funne!

I'm not sure I'd care to make a multisampled piano patch in it, but for making a pad out of a snare drum, half a second of Britney Spears and a recording of my girlfriend typing... Yeah. It's good.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:49 am

i love sampler, but don't really use it as a sampler. instead, i use it more as a synth than a traditional sampler (and it's convinced me i don't need much more in the way of synths at this point). the people who don't like/love it seem to be looking for a traditional sampler (not surprising they might think sampler should fit the bill). so i think it depends on what you want to do with it.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:10 am

noisetonepause wrote:Sampler is a bit like Operator, Beat Repeat, Saturator, etc... They might not be the 'most advanced' Sampler/FM-synth/Beat juggler/Distortion plug in available, and they may not give you all the parameters you might want on those really long wednesdays, but you can just chuck stuff in there and play with the controls and get something nice..

I can see how some people might feel that Sampler is a bit dumbed down compared to a 3000XL or Kontakt or MSP or a C++ compiler, but it's also easy to get to grips with.. And funne!

I'm not sure I'd care to make a multisampled piano patch in it, but for making a pad out of a snare drum, half a second of Britney Spears and a recording of my girlfriend typing... Yeah. It's good.
My thoughts exactly, well put.

And for anyone that missed it, sampler fought kontakt once upon a time, and the rumble was covered by yours truly here:
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 569#351569

cheerio,

grb
Professional Shark Jumper.

Landser

Post by Landser » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:00 pm

My first deeper look into Sampler ended with a disappointment. I've tried to convert a 909ohht patch from K2 to Sampler but I couldn't get the smooth sound like in K2, no matter how much i tweaked the amp-envelope. The attack either sounded much harder, or way to smooth (weak). Although the envelope of this patch in K2 only has moderate ADSR parameters, i sadly was not able to reproduce it in Sampler.

Poster

Post by Poster » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:32 pm

I love it..
from a simple bread and butter sample player to a fantastic sound design tool..
modulation features galore..
my fav features; the Osc FM modulation, the 'end' stages of the envelopes and the morphable filter..