Owners of sampler what are your thoughts?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Machinate

Post by Machinate » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:24 pm

Pitch Black wrote:I would like to see Sampler have some kind of auto-create patch, or auto-keymapping of samples, so if you drag in a whole bunch of samples at once, or a folder, you get the option to automatically lay them out one sample per key, all at original pitch.

Like the EXS24's Import Multiple Samples-Chromatic feature.

For those times when you want to quickly drag in 30 909 kick drums and try them all out....

err... thats thirty 909 kick drums not 30,909. That would be stupid!
Right-click in the key zone editor and select distribute samples ;) But you already knew that...
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:03 pm

Yes i think sampler is amazing, i bought it because i knew what i wanted to use it for.

Last edited by Cryptic UK on Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drums

monoschall

Post by monoschall » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:22 pm

Machinate wrote:
Pitch Black wrote:I would like to see Sampler have some kind of auto-create patch, or auto-keymapping of samples, so if you drag in a whole bunch of samples at once, or a folder, you get the option to automatically lay them out one sample per key, all at original pitch.

Like the EXS24's Import Multiple Samples-Chromatic feature.
Right-click in the key zone editor and select distribute samples ;) But you already knew that...
Works for the 'vel' view but not for 'Key'. Have sent Ableton Support a message about this.

Apart from that 'glitch', Sampler is a great sound design tool - it's filters are really lovely!

Feature request: Warp markers

electrik noize

Post by electrik noize » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:59 pm

How easy is it to take a recorded track, cut it up into smaller clips manually in the arrange window and then map these to individual keys in sampler?

If I were to get Sampler, I would want use it like this alot. Cut up recordings of me noodling around on various synths and then map them to key ranges. Is it a simple drag and drop thing?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:34 pm

Yes you can drag and drop, BUT, the clips lose their warp settings when you do this in Sampler. So if the track is not at the same project tempo as live, the new clips in Sampler will not be synced. You'll have to manually pitch each one to sync it.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
InnerPortalStudio.com - Professional Audio Mastering

Adonis

Post by Adonis » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:01 pm

Tarekith wrote:Yes you can drag and drop, BUT, the clips lose their warp settings when you do this in Sampler. So if the track is not at the same project tempo as live, the new clips in Sampler will not be synced. You'll have to manually pitch each one to sync it.
Really? They must have changed it since the beta - I was able to cut loops up and drag and drop and all was good...similar to Impulse and Simpler

curious

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:21 pm

One thing about sampler...
When it was first announced it had more features I am almost positive (Maybe I had one of my blackouts and imagined) but wasn't it supposed to read Rex and also have some automatic pitch detection, amongst other things ?
Then I heard features were pulled due to time constraints ... pretty sly really if thats the case, although maybe it couldn't be helped.
But I like it alot as I said before, don't get me wrong. I'm gonna feature request all the improvements I think it needs and hopefully everyone else will add to it. They have pretty much all been mentioned in this thread. B0unce was right about the workflow as was Tarekith (read his review, and when does Tarekith not drop knowledge...Tarekith we like you, do you like us?), everyone wants the processing without rack workarounds etc. johnisfaster mentioned he didn't think it would get what we all expect in the next updates...I hope he isn't right but I'm not convinced either.
d.
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

Adonis

Post by Adonis » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:36 pm

kineticUk wrote:One thing about sampler...
When it was first announced it had more features I am almost positive (Maybe I had one of my blackouts and imagined) but wasn't it supposed to read Rex and also have some automatic pitch detection, amongst other things ?
Then I heard features were pulled due to time constraints ... pretty sly really if thats the case, although maybe it couldn't be helped.
But I like it alot as I said before, don't get me wrong. I'm gonna feature request all the improvements I think it needs and hopefully everyone else will add to it. They have pretty much all been mentioned in this thread. B0unce was right about the workflow as was Tarekith (read his review, and when does Tarekith not drop knowledge...Tarekith we like you, do you like us?), everyone wants the processing without rack workarounds etc. johnisfaster mentioned he didn't think it would get what we all expect in the next updates...I hope he isn't right but I'm not convinced either.
d.
Yup

Rex support, multiple outs and individual layers for each zone or whatever would push me over the edge and I'd buy it

I don't know how to use a sampler though - that's why I'm upgrading to Battery 3

Simpler's pretty chill though

the only reason I could see myself getting a sampler is if I had an MPC and needed something to trigger my loops and shit

but who knows - if they update Sampler before December I might change my mind about upgrading my Battery package

who knows

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:42 pm

Adonis wrote:Simpler's pretty chill though
Yeah I love it too, you should be able to work sampler's out if you use that.
When I can be bothered I will make some requests and hopefully you and everyone else can add your thoughts. You've mentioned the most important ones there.
d.

Landser

Post by Landser » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:36 pm

Adonis wrote:... multiple outs ... would push me over the edge and I'd buy it
Why?
There are so many other samplers out there with multi-outs, huge RAM allocation and overhead. The benefits of Sampler are, that it is very efficient and that it can be run as one instance per track. This is a huge plus. btw multi-outs are a concept taken from yesterdays hardware-samplers.

Adonis

Post by Adonis » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:03 pm

Landser wrote:
Adonis wrote:... multiple outs ... would push me over the edge and I'd buy it
Why?
There are so many other samplers out there with multi-outs, huge RAM allocation and overhead. The benefits of Sampler are, that it is very efficient and that it can be run as one instance per track. This is a huge plus. btw multi-outs are a concept taken from yesterdays hardware-samplers.

I know there are alot of other samplers out there that have mulit outs but we're talking about Sampler not other samplers

But Sampler could benefit from this as each layer / zone or what you call it doesn't have it's own filter or effect per se - you could branch that out and process it - or do a sub mix of a particular section in your sample group

it's really not a lot to ask seeing as how the SAMPLER is hard wired into the program - similar to IMPULSE (which has multi outs)

personally I don't see the benefit of having SAMPLER aside from some FM and AM modulation over SIMPLER and I love SIMPLER --> it would be nice if the developers unlocked the multi layers in SIMPLER for us

yes, Multi's would push me over the edge and I would buy it - but as you've stated other samplers offer this and if Sampler wont do it, I probably will buy someother 'Sampler' from yesteryear.

peace

a
Last edited by Adonis on Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:06 pm

Landser wrote:There are so many other samplers out there with multi-outs, huge RAM allocation and overhead.
True and there are plenty without huge ram allocation, that have multi-outs and low overhead. Do it right and theres no problem. I was gonna say Impulse but Ado beat me to the post...Instead I'll say word Ado cause he is spot on here.
Landser wrote:The benefits of Sampler are, that it is very efficient and that it can be run as one instance per track.This is a huge plus.
Simpler already does that so ok point taken but I'm good already there.
Landser wrote:btw multi-outs are a concept taken from yesterdays hardware-samplers.
Which are quality instruments ... and the point is ?
Thank you please. :)

Landser

Post by Landser » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:20 pm

kineticUk wrote:True and there are plenty without huge ram allocation, that have multi-outs and low overhead.
Can you name them?
Kontakt with ~70MB per instance?
DirectWave with ~30MB per instance?
Which are quality instruments ... and the point is ?
That software doesn't have the restrictions of hardware? Did you notice you don't need a new case for each instance of a new sampler? ;)

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:32 pm

I'm confused. Are you guys fighting about how great sampler is or do i get this wrong? :wink:

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:33 pm

Landser wrote:Can you name them?
Sure whats this the word association game ? :wink:
idrum, Halion, Phatmatik, Impulse, shall I go on ? Well tough look them up yourself, I don't have time to waste and I know what I am saying when I say it, or I don't say it. Ok
Landser wrote:That software doesn't have the restrictions of hardware?

And hardware doesn't have the restrictions of software and the point is ? Game on...
Landser wrote:Did you notice you don't need a new case for each instance of a new sampler?
I didn't notice I needed one for my hardware sampler and so I don't have one.
Thank You please...Landser I like you do you like me ? :)
hoffman2k wrote:I'm confused. Are you guys fighting about how great sampler is or do i get this wrong? :wink:
Hoffman2k you know me I don't fight...I debate or joke around :wink: