will reason ever work with vst's?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Johnisfaster

will reason ever work with vst's?

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:49 am

do you think reason is ever gonna get around to implimenting vst support?

what about recording audio? (though it may do that now, but it didn't last I checked)

hot diggidy damn if they implimented both of those.... but it seems they don't intend to..
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Contra

Post by Contra » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:52 am

do you work for propelleheads?

:wink:

buy a printer.

14 hrs left

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:02 am

No, reason will never implement audio or VST's. The main thing keeping Reason so stable is it's self contained code, otherwise reason opens up to the instability tyou can get in any application that handles audio in and third party plug ins.

deadmau5

Re: will reason ever work with vst's?

Post by deadmau5 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:09 am

Johnisfaster wrote:do you think reason is ever gonna get around to implimenting vst support?
eumm, rewire?

:?

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:09 am

but vst's and recording audio, while making it possible to have problems with stability, WOULD make it one of the kings of software (even though it kinda already is) but it just seems so logical and darn near imparative if they want to stay in the business forever. I know I know they have a pretty good hold on things now, but that doesn't last unless you conform to some degree, thats just my thoughts... I suppose I'm totally wrong..

but I'd love to see vst support for them...
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Johnisfaster

Re: will reason ever work with vst's?

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:11 am

deadmau5 wrote:
Johnisfaster wrote:do you think reason is ever gonna get around to implimenting vst support?
eumm, rewire?

:?
I've never ever liked using rewire, some people do but I don't think I'm alone in the desire to keep production inside one application. abletons rockin for me of course but the only thing that kept me from latching onto reason is the fact that I could using vst's

noiseconjecture

Post by noiseconjecture » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:41 am

I don't use Reason much but it would be good if you could load your own waves into Maelstrom.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:54 am

well holy crap, I haven't tried the rewire thing in quite some time but I just loaded up live 6 and reason 3 and to my suprise I really enjoyed it.

hrm..... guess I'll be doing that more often then...

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:10 am

sooooo when rewiring reason and live you'd either have to bounce your tracks into audio into live or you'll have to remember which reason set to call up next time?

I can use a vst notepad for referencing, but is there any better way? I hate bouncing to audio before I absolutely have to.

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:13 am

save the projects in reason and live as the same name. i don't know if anyone 'hacked' the live 6 help messages but that's a cool way to keep notes.

I say 'hacked' because in Live 5 it wasn't difficult, similar to html tags.

MrTiddles

Post by MrTiddles » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:52 am

Johnisfaster wrote:well holy crap, I haven't tried the rewire thing in quite some time but I just loaded up live 6 and reason 3 and to my suprise I really enjoyed it.

hrm..... guess I'll be doing that more often then...
I do it all the time and effectively use Reason like a soft synth. Reason's sequence is poo compared to Live's anyway. I also like sticking reason output's through VST effects.

Maybe it's VooDoo, maybe there's fairies or something involved, but you render reason to disk via live, it sounds ace!
'Fear makes the wolf look bigger'
http://www.myspace.com/StevieVega
4Tunes: Quad Intel 2.66, Live 8, Lots of VSTs
4Mixing: Macbook Pro, Live 8, APC40, iPad

brightonalex

Post by brightonalex » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:24 pm

Why don't they update their instruments for reason users, but release old versions of them as VSTs? They they'd get extra money from people buying VSTs, but still sell updated versions of Reason to cmmitted reason-users.

stallos

Post by stallos » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:09 pm

MrTiddles wrote:
I do it all the time and effectively use Reason like a soft synth. Reason's sequence is poo compared to Live's anyway. I also like sticking reason output's through VST effects.
I do the same,
i find reason is pretty good in rewire mode and am certain if you had a vst that did everything reason did you'd be pretty happy with it!
Not a bad thing to have in your arsenal
Last edited by stallos on Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Poster

Post by Poster » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:13 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:sooooo when rewiring reason and live you'd either have to bounce your tracks into audio into live or you'll have to remember which reason set to call up next time?

I can use a vst notepad for referencing, but is there any better way? I hate bouncing to audio before I absolutely have to.
I use reason alot in rewire mode..
most of the time I just bounce a temporary audio file to live.. to get some sketching done.. later on I re-bounce it with proper tweaking and all..
Why don't you just save the reason file in the live project folder? very easy..

keep in mind that there seems to be a latency issue with live<>reason rewire (at least on my system)..
when i play midi from live to reason I have minor latency issues..
not when midi is playing within reason and live only receives the audio..
Didn't have these issues with L5.. :?

And to answer the topic question; reason will never host vst..
audio recording 'maybe', but vst never..
vst goes into the very fundamental laws and concept of reason; a self contained, totally equiped studio enviroment that is low on cpu and has a rock solid performance..
the propheads tackled the vst request issue by designing the rewire protocol.. pretty clever move..

delicious

Post by delicious » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:07 pm

I use Reason in rewire mode most of the time I work on a project.
Treat Reason as the SUPER VST. Especially when you have some nicely made combinator patches.
The only problem is I end up with heaps of channels in Live because you can't group channels together (like is possible in Cubase).
Does anyone know a work around for this (Live 5) or is it possible in Live 6?