Enough with the video game noises, kids.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
reax

Post by reax » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:46 am

Jeeze, like four years lurking on this forum, and I finally get drawn out of the woodwork just to agree with this topic.

I mean... wtf? I go to Beatport and listen to the top 10 and I want to cry. It's a bunch of crap. A bunch of crap with no soul, no drive, no emotion, no atmosphere. Nothing. Just a bunch of slow plodding glitchy electro crap. How do people dance to this? Who would willingly listen to this for fun? It's pretentious navel gazing at its worst.

Being the old fart I am, I'd completely given up on House music. I'd assumed the "kids these days" had completely ruined it. That is, until I spent four nights in Chicago and hit a few dingy back alley clubs. And heard the best house music of my life. Brain crushing, soul driving, spirit lifting House.

I was encouraged to find that real House music wasn't dead in the home of House. But at the same time I was confused. Why, oh why, were so many people in other parts of the world so enamored with this new crappy form of House music?

Honestly, can anyone say with a straight face that they enjoy listening to crappy video game music? At the very least, stop calling this glitchy electro crap "House". Just call it retro video came music or something. Please.

Ok, sorry, rant over. Back to lurking. Btw, I'm really enjoying Live 6! ;)

udp

Post by udp » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:37 pm

I guess I'm showning ignorance here. When refering to "glitchy" are we talking about Aphex Twin, BOC, Ritchie Hawtin, Monolake?
OS X.5 MacBook Core 2Duo 2.2ghz, 2Gig RAM Mackie Onyx 400F m-audio BX8's, Oxygen 8, Zoom H-4, Alesis Masterlink, Bitstream 3x
http://www.udpmusic.com

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:03 pm

WTF are you talkin' about ? Who are you talkin to ?
Why don't you go to beatport or Georgia or wherever and tell them ?
You're speaking to a community that makes all different types of music...
Kids these days :wink:
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

Hervé

Post by Hervé » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:40 pm

Enough with the video game noises, kids.

Never enough :arrow: http://www.micromusic.net/

:wink:

robin

Post by robin » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:47 pm

reax wrote:I go to Beatport and listen to the top 10 and I want to cry
Well Beatport isn't really the best place to look, it appeals to a different crowd really.

SOmething I guess you've realised :)

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Re: Enough with the video game noises, kids.

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:30 pm

decoder wrote:Find a new sound already.

Yeah, lo-fi. We get it. We got it back in 1999.

Move on.
Yeah. I definitely agree. What about those guitars, though? So 1950. I'm just fucking sick of that sound. Don't even talk about bass. Or drums... :?

-M

punkdISCO

Post by punkdISCO » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:46 pm

Not sure I can agree with this one. Its like saying ‘get over the 303’. There is a very credible underground 6/8 bit scene out there; maybe you are missing this and are just getting the annoying stuff..? I have seen videos at their gigs and they look like a scream and the girls ALWAYS look HOT(!); maybe lofi sounds rumble nicely in their panties but whatever, they seem to like hanging out within the scene..

I purchased a original GameBoy RAM card with the view to getting LSDj but at the time I could not get a burner. Still would love to get it set up mind..

Anyway, this GameBoy freak guy fucking rocks:

http://discodirt.10pm.org/

If you only listen to one of his tracks, listen to Roppongi (can’t give you a direct link)
Paul
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk
http://www.punkdisco.co.uk/Music/Wot.mp3 - New annoying track, dedicated to DJs.
www.myspace.com/punkdisco - Zero content, more pictures

punkdISCO

Post by punkdISCO » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:19 pm

punkdISCO wrote:If you only listen to one of his tracks, listen to Roppongi (can’t give you a direct link)
oh, and also Ragwerk..

..and here are some 6 bit chicks. and a 6-bit party
Paul
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk
http://www.punkdisco.co.uk/Music/Wot.mp3 - New annoying track, dedicated to DJs.
www.myspace.com/punkdisco - Zero content, more pictures

decoder

Post by decoder » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:07 pm

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:10 pm

decoder wrote:Image
:roll:
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:15 pm

Wow how gay must you be to buy a Sidstation and then give it the finger. :roll:
Drums

smutek

Post by smutek » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:38 am

lol

EvilEvilEvilEvilEvil

Post by EvilEvilEvilEvilEvil » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:45 am

i have some good music like that online. i will post the link so that everyone could download it immediately. There are only 23% synthesizer in my stdio now. but it will be online soon.

Star Power

reax

Post by reax » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:41 am

udp wrote:I guess I'm showning ignorance here. When refering to "glitchy" are we talking about Aphex Twin, BOC, Ritchie Hawtin, Monolake?
Sorry, my own drunken rant was more about the current electro house craze, which indeed has that retro lo-fi sound that I thought the OP was referring to.

However, it's possible the OP was talking about glitchy Aphex type stuff. That, on the other hand I don't mind as much. Mostly because it's not pretending to be anything other than esoteric listening music. And I worship the likes of Hawtin.