Remote Zero SL or BCR2000 (or both)?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Post Reply
Mag_Music
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:41 pm
Location: South Side of the Sky (VA/NY)

Remote Zero SL or BCR2000 (or both)?

Post by Mag_Music » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:25 pm

Of those of you who've tried them both, which do you prefer? (This includes what they claim to do versus what the actuality is, ie the ZSL's inoperative tap tempo button, etc)
What it is (for Now): (2) Lenovo Dual Core desktops, Edirol PCR-800, Sonar 8.5 PE, Live 8 w/Operator and Sampler, the unloved PT 8, Kontakt 4, Battery 3, GPO 4, mulititudinous plugs and libraries, much unused hardware. And... silence; much silence.

sweetjesus
Posts: 8803
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:12 pm
Location: www.fridge.net.au
Contact:

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:26 pm

got both and sellin my bcr :P

(if ur in oz and keen to buy lemme know hehe)

Mag_Music
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:41 pm
Location: South Side of the Sky (VA/NY)

Post by Mag_Music » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:31 pm

sweetjesus wrote:got both and sellin my bcr :P

(if ur in oz and keen to buy lemme know hehe)
OK, but why? Are there problems, or you just don't like it, or what?
What it is (for Now): (2) Lenovo Dual Core desktops, Edirol PCR-800, Sonar 8.5 PE, Live 8 w/Operator and Sampler, the unloved PT 8, Kontakt 4, Battery 3, GPO 4, mulititudinous plugs and libraries, much unused hardware. And... silence; much silence.

sweetjesus
Posts: 8803
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:12 pm
Location: www.fridge.net.au
Contact:

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:37 pm

Mag_Music wrote:
sweetjesus wrote:got both and sellin my bcr :P

(if ur in oz and keen to buy lemme know hehe)
OK, but why? Are there problems, or you just don't like it, or what?
redundant for the most part,

im after a fronteir design tranzport to give me any additional functionality i may need for a controller.

the automap + macros reduce the number of knobs u need dramatically... and theyre too big together

RawTheory
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:20 am
Location: Oakland CA
Contact:

Post by RawTheory » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:20 pm

Well I have the BCR and I've just ordered the remote sl 61 and I plan on keeping it. I don't know what you use the BCR for, sweetjesus, but I use mine exclusively for Stylus RMX and theres no way I would get rid of it. Its got 32 endless encoders and I really dont think the sl will give me as much hands on control with RMX. I plan on using the sl for Ableton control and VST control (but not Stylus). IMO the drums are so important that they demand their own dedicated controller, whether a Pad Kontrol type device for banging out the rhythms or a device like the BCR for loop/ groove control.
http://rawtheory.bandcamp.com/
i7 920, 12 gig ram, Live 8, Reaper, Stylus RMX, Omnisphere, Maschine, Trilian

sweetjesus
Posts: 8803
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:12 pm
Location: www.fridge.net.au
Contact:

Post by sweetjesus » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:39 am

RawTheory wrote:Well I have the BCR and I've just ordered the remote sl 61 and I plan on keeping it. I don't know what you use the BCR for, sweetjesus, but I use mine exclusively for Stylus RMX and theres no way I would get rid of it. Its got 32 endless encoders and I really dont think the sl will give me as much hands on control with RMX. I plan on using the sl for Ableton control and VST control (but not Stylus). IMO the drums are so important that they demand their own dedicated controller, whether a Pad Kontrol type device for banging out the rhythms or a device like the BCR for loop/ groove control.
see, that i can understand... you are using the BCR and RMX as one instrument in a sense... but to control Live I find the SL to be enough.

RawTheory
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:20 am
Location: Oakland CA
Contact:

Post by RawTheory » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:20 am

Yes, I am using RMX and the BCR as one instrument and I'm finding it very liberating. I'd recommend any one using RMX to try the combination. Its made me a better producer by adding spontaneity to my mixes. :wink:
http://rawtheory.bandcamp.com/
i7 920, 12 gig ram, Live 8, Reaper, Stylus RMX, Omnisphere, Maschine, Trilian

Mag_Music
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:41 pm
Location: South Side of the Sky (VA/NY)

Post by Mag_Music » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:59 am

Thanks, guys. I have the ZSL and just ordered the BCR, simply because it was so inexpensive (less than half the price of the ZSL). I'll have to think about whether to go ahead with the order or not (currently backordered).
What it is (for Now): (2) Lenovo Dual Core desktops, Edirol PCR-800, Sonar 8.5 PE, Live 8 w/Operator and Sampler, the unloved PT 8, Kontakt 4, Battery 3, GPO 4, mulititudinous plugs and libraries, much unused hardware. And... silence; much silence.

jb61264
Posts: 937
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:21 am
Location: Nebraska, USA

Post by jb61264 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:50 am

The Novation Zero SL looks like it has SO much more flexibility though...especially if one is using RMX (which I am)...I have an X-Station49 and have mapped many of the sliders and buttons to streamline my workflow, but the Zero SL looks like the way to go for me...it looks like it would be worth the extra $ as compared to the BCR
3.2 GHz Windows XP, Live 7, Reason 4, FL Studio 7, Stylus RMX, Sytrus, Toxic III, Novation X-Station 49, Akai MPD24, EMu XK6, Roland MC-303, Gemini BPM5000 Mixer, MBox

Post Reply