All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:56 pm 

I'm finally making a bit of progress with the Native Mode - It's really cool, EVERY control on the PadKontrol sends sysex when in Native mode... that's right, you can turn this 16 pad controller with two knobs into a 35 pad controller with 3 knobs, one of which is an endless encoder :-D

I juuuust need to hack this blimming bloody sysex into Max, and then it'll be standalone-creation time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:05 pm 

Machinate wrote:
I'm finally making a bit of progress with the Native Mode - It's really cool, EVERY control on the PadKontrol sends sysex when in Native mode... that's right, you can turn this 16 pad controller with two knobs into a 35 pad controller with 3 knobs, one of which is an endless encoder :-D

I juuuust need to hack this blimming bloody sysex into Max, and then it'll be standalone-creation time.

Cool! Care to share how? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:56 pm 

Machinate wrote:

Have you had any success with sending a sysex "light on" statement to any of the pads? I fooled around with this for a few hours one day but was unsuccessful. I'm sure I was doing something wrong, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:26 pm 

Alright, I've mirrored the Korg PadKontrol sysex implementation chart on our website:
http://www.thecovertoperators.org/archives/145

You can keep up to date with my progress on that page, too. It's going to be rocking :-)

I'm already doing the Light-show thing with the Lemur now, with the PadKontrol in there as well it'll be blinky Christmas all over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:54 pm 

Finally got an answer from Korg, although its not the one we wanted:

"Hi folks:

We have been well aware of this issue/request, and I have personally had many meetings with Korg Inc about this.

But the simple truth that I have learned is that the PadKONTROL cannot have a simple firmware update, as some other products can. The OS is burnt into the ROM that is part of the processor itself, and that is a surface mount part. So a change of this sort would require a new CPU part, which along with labor would be prohibitively expensive.

Note that this design enabled us to achieve the low price for the product.

So we are certainly looking at this feature and other requests/reactions we have had to the PadKONTROL when considering future models, but it is not a simple update, and basically can't be done for the current product.

Sorry for "bad news", but it doesn't negate the many fine features of the PadKONTROL. And while yelling at me and Korg will likely make you feel better (so go ahead), it isn't really necessary.

OK, I tried...

Regards,

Jerry"

Full topic here: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/ ... 306#156306

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:54 pm 

Still doesn't explain why they never thought of this in the first fucking place, but I'm glad he at least was honest and upfront.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:58 pm 

sigh... big business once again... they were like "hey, let's not make a dozen prototypes to give to musicians, and get some feedback on it first".

Instead, they just built it, and said: Hey, let the punters buy PadKontrol v.2 if they want proper functionality so bad.

But hey, another good reason for doing this stinking max-app in the first place

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:57 pm 

Any luck on your project Machinate?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:40 pm 

Totally swamped right now... :-( I have to scale down my ambitions for free projects, unfortunately. I'd really love to get this done, but since I hardly use the PadKontrol these days it takes a bit more effort to get going.

I am, however, working on some max patches that would be really fun with the padkontrol - think poormans VERY glitchy monome+"mlr" :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:35 pm 

Okay, I finally sat down and figured out how to do this properly in Max.

I am happy to report that the app is now more than 50 percent complete, in that I now have full, unadulturated control over the Korg :twisted:

Here's a tiny fugly proof video, showing me turning the lights on and on with my mouse - and NO flickering in sight, no weird stuff. Just lights, as it should be:
www.thecovertoperators.org/uploads/korgPK01.AVI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:12 pm 

phirewall wrote:
Bump.

If anyone gets this working reliably, I'm sure I'm not the only one that would pay to have this functionality. Yes, Korg could quit dicking around and release a firmware update but this obviously isn't a priority for them.

If anyone else is down we should pool our $$ resources to convince a good sysex head to help out.

I'd be on for that (can't do the sysex myself, but would be willing to pay good money to get this functionality working)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:34 pm 

This is fantastic. I'm gonna buy a padkontrol right know!! Waiting for you to finish... In the meantime I'll play with the rolls and so on...

Thanks soooo much!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:29 pm 

I'm starting to really look forward to this app too, actually.

The main concern involved is that switching to Native Mode releases all those other buttons for assigning - 19 buttons to be precise, with light that is totally controllable. What would we use these for?

And the encoder, do we use it to dial through presets, or something altogether different?

And what kind of feedback do we put in the LED display? Should that be user-configurable somehow? Tied to the presets? Some kind of midi clock read-out?

This is the chance to tell me what YOU would do, and help make this app a truly custom tool for you, and for the padKontrol :-)

Andreas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:32 pm 

Machinate wrote:
Here's a tiny fugly proof video, showing me turning the lights on and on with my mouse - and NO flickering in sight, no weird stuff. Just lights, as it should be:

Nice clip, when the camera moved left I half expected to see "pwned" scroll across the LED screen.

:twisted:

"So what kind of music do you make?"
"Both kinds...... drum and bass."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:34 pm 

compositeone wrote:
Machinate wrote:

Nice clip, when the camera moved left I half expected to see "pwned" scroll across the LED screen.

:twisted:

HAHAHAHA, nice one! Yeah, right now I have control over the individual LEDs on it, not a type-here kind of thing. But soon! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next