All times are UTC

Post subject: Replacing Ableton for a hardware sequencer to control Arkaos
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:46 am 

At this moment we are a building a set-up for a club somewhere in the south of Europe, for permanent use.
In our home environment Ableton fires the midi clips, arkaos process it and finally the projector shows it.
No problemo.

The problem is that Ableton is not "foolproof". If you don't know what you are doing, things can easily get very messy..

Therefore I'm searching for a controller that can store a reasonable amount of midi clips,
send some last second cc messages (these can be used for effects in Arkaos) and analyse the music (bass, mid, high).
And it should be more or less moron independent.

I was thinking about the alesis mmt-8. :wink:

Can someone point me in the right direction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:02 am 

hi Eddee,

so if I'm reading you right, you want to play a full midi sequence at the same time as a video clip. This midi sequence should contain information regarding that video, which controls Arkaos? If so then why not render it out in Final Cut or something beforehand?

Or do you want this unit to real-time analyze the music and generate cc values from this data?

If all you need is a "foolproof" controller that provides some clip functionality that Live has, then any midi controller will do the trick - CERTAINLY a LOT easier than an mmt-8!

Let us know,
Andreas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:41 am 

Ok let me explain a bit more.
I project only certain areas of the venue, first we specify those positions (ceiling, wall etc.) and later on I make animation with that in yes, Adobe after effects.

With those positions I create a couple of choreographies (midi file) on top of that goes the intensity of the effect used, with cc messages.

I have a bcr2000, I programmed it with bc manager and works without a problem, but it can't store a choreography.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:48 am 

-so the problem is that the "choreographies" in mind are cc's sent to Arkaos, and those effects can't be pre-rendered, is that it?

What is triggering the videos themselves in Arkaos? Maybe that same trigger should instead be one long midi file.

One more question, what is the current problem with Ableton Live? I mean a single button pushed on a midi controller can certainly fire off a whole series of events, and that would let you keep things simple, if you ask me.

andreas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:07 am 

I can Install arkaos on a dedicated machine store it somewhere in the basement and never let a user touch it. In goes the midi signal, out goes the visual signal.

The problem with Ableton is that it is to complicated for the designated light jockey of the evening. And I don't want him to fuck around with my precious little sequences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:16 am 

Eddee wrote:
I can Install arkaos on a dedicated machine store it somewhere in the basement and never let a user touch it. In goes the midi signal, out goes the visual signal.

The problem with Ableton is that it is to complicated for the designated light jockey of the evening. And I don't want him to fuck around with my precious little sequences.
ah, well, why let him? Surely you can stash away ableton Live, too? Just place a midi keyboard somewhere for the light jockey. That's what I'd do. If you have it running in Live, leave it in Live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:34 am 

I used to install, deploy and maintain servers (citrix) user interaction was part of my job . what I learned from that period is that everything a user can break, destroy or make unusable, he eventually will...

So my objective is to make the setup as easy and robust as possible .

Yes, and then you just push that button. See what happens..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:30 am 

Any sequencer with pads on it? AKAI MPC, Roland MV etc?

Ive used my MPC2500 to control lighting before now.