No-noise headphones and flying.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
brightonalex

No-noise headphones and flying.

Post by brightonalex » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:18 pm

Right, I have developed an inexplicable but genuine fear of flying. Seat gripping stuff. I have bought Sennheiser noise eliminating headphones and a couple of valiums. What do you reckon for a 7 hour flight? Enough?

Jeroen

Post by Jeroen » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:31 pm

fears come and go, look forward to 7 hours of relaxation, some great music, hopefully some nice hostesses, the live 6 manual for distraction, or even laptop with ableton, and in the worst case a valium. There are not a lot of days you can spend 7 hours relaxing and just doing whatever you want.
Life is made of stories not atoms

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:50 pm

7 hours relaxing?
wow, you must fly business class or greater.

7 hours with your knees in your face wondering about rogue bloodclots.

to the OP, I think the headphones wont make as much difference as the drugs. It's obviously inside your head wherer the problem lies. I guess its too late to go see a hypnotist or some other kind of phobia reduction therapist?

These kinds of phobias although based on a legitimate primate fear are incredibly restrictive when they get out of hand like this. Theres not a great deal your fear can do to aid the pilots in bad weather for instance.

I guess the way you feel about flying is the way most people feel about playing russian roulette, yet the odds of russian roulette death are 1 in 6 (unless you use an automatic). the odds of dying this year in an 'air and space incident' are 1 in 391,981 ... while the odds of dying as a pedestrian are 1 in 48,548 . So you are 8 times more likely to be killed this year walking along the street than falling out of the sky.

I guess that doesn't help much.
I'm one of those annoying bastards who says things like "I've never seen the cabin crew look this worried before". I'm kind of resigned to my fate whatever way I go. I'd much prefer to freefall to my death from 40,000 feet than leaking to death after being run over by some fool in a 4x4 picking up their kids from school. the first one actually sounds like it might be fun to me.

went to the gypsy

Post by went to the gypsy » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:59 pm

valium is good, in-ear headphones are better ...

i travel with shure e5s, but i also have a pair of these, and they are enough to make you forget ...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=243614[/url]

-wttg-

brightonalex

Post by brightonalex » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:00 pm

Its not logical. I used to love flying. In fact i still really enjoy flying when taking off or landing, when I can see the ground. I think its a sensory overload thing. I can't get rid of the constant mind chatter either "don't be so ridiculous there are 7 Virgin Atlantic flights per day..yeah but look how high up you are.. i know about turbulence but what is that banging noise.." etc etc etc.

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:03 pm

I dont mind flying, but i hate noisy airplanes.

My sennheiser HD25's & Ipod did a good job of making sure all my ears could hear was a few hours of Autechr & IO.

:wink:

itook4lefts

Post by itook4lefts » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:26 pm

that blows... makes me a bit nervous because I quite like it too, makes me worry i might develop a fear. anywho, i reckon your best bet is a nice pair of closed back monitor headphones. i didn't use to like wearing my big akgs on flights becuase you know, they're not descreet, and when you put vespertine on and (try to) go to sleep for a bit you might knock the guy next to you out or something. then i thought, ah fuck it. it sounds good. doesn't help with fear though, but booze is good too, i reckon.

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:50 pm

never used to mind flying at all, did a load of long haul flights when i was kid and it didnt bother me, but the older i get the more worried i am flying - im flying a huge distance in a couple weeks and i have a real bad feeling about it :? Nerves eh.

cosmosuave

Re: No-noise headphones and flying.

Post by cosmosuave » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:53 pm

brightonalex wrote:Right, I have developed an inexplicable but genuine fear of flying. Seat gripping stuff. I have bought Sennheiser noise eliminating headphones and a couple of valiums. What do you reckon for a 7 hour flight? Enough?
Almost enough.... Make sure to take advantage of the bar cart... This plus valium should cause a deep relaxing effect...
MD SPS-1 DARKENERGY JX-3P (PG200) Mbase01
http://soundcloud.com/cosmosuave
http://www.cosmosuave.com/

hungry ghost

Post by hungry ghost » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:59 pm

I love flying, but after finding out the incredible environmental damage planes create I vowed never to fly again.
Then came plans for me and my girl to move from the UK to Canada. I'm no hypocrite, so I looked into alternative methods and booked us a double room on a cargo ship! 11 days at sea on a huge ship, only 7 other passengers and 13 crew. Time to read, relax, by no means a luxury cruise but these things need to be done or there won't be a planet to give our kids. It cost a bit more than a flight but not too much.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:13 pm

went to the gypsy wrote:valium is good, in-ear headphones are better ...

i travel with shure e5s, but i also have a pair of these, and they are enough to make you forget ...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=243614[/url]

-wttg-
Actually very bad idea, all those are really dangerous, specially if they are too tight, pulling the cable by accident may damage your ears forever ( there are lots of cases) I am using them too but became very carefull placing the wires safely. However for flying these would be the worst due to changing pressure- so take them out for taking off and landing. I always wear HD25 on board, even if I dont listen to anything, just for their superb isolation ( in really loud enviroment I listen with the "in ear" and HD 25 on top( not connected)