Is compression Better than EQ??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
EvilEvilEvilEvilEvil

Is compression Better than EQ??

Post by EvilEvilEvilEvilEvil » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:08 pm

I think I prefer compression over EQ but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I just finished some trance mp3s and I have about 47 tracks that I need to either add compression or EQ to. Some of the tracks use black notes and some just use some arpaggrgators. So I need to know what I should use.

this release is for myspace. it has the best synthesizer on it and I only use big wav files. some of the wav files have the best techno tracks in them. so what would you suggest?

Star Power

ikke

Post by ikke » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:25 pm

I dont know... Is a sinewave better than a square??

.... I think youre gonna need both

knotkranky

Re: Is compression Better than EQ??

Post by knotkranky » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:35 pm

EvilEvilEvilEvilEvil wrote:I think I prefer compression over EQ but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I just finished some trance mp3s and I have about 47 tracks that I need to either add compression or EQ to. Some of the tracks use black notes and some just use some arpaggrgators. So I need to know what I should use.

this release is for myspace. it has the best synthesizer on it and I only use big wav files. some of the wav files have the best techno tracks in them. so what would you suggest?
Eq first and don't use a single compressor. When you feel the the eqing is close, kick in the compressors and use sparingly and make sure the attack is not too fast and release not too slow.

Use the eq's in a subtractive way. If it sounds muddy, don't add highs, instead subtract the mud ie 200 to 300 ish hertz, then add maybe a tiny bit of highs, then turn up the track a little.

Think subtracting and not adding.

joesapo

Post by joesapo » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:43 pm

Eq first and don't use a single compressor. When you feel the the eqing is close, kick in the compressors and use sparingly and make sure the attack is not too fast and release not too slow.

Use the eq's in a subtractive way. If it sounds muddy, don't add highs, instead subtract the mud ie 200 to 300 ish hertz, then add maybe a tiny bit of highs, then turn up the track a little.

Damn! Did you read that out of a book or something?

That's pretty much the best EQ advice ever. 8O

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:46 pm

joesapo wrote:

Damn! Did you read that out of a book or something?

That's pretty much the best EQ advice ever. 8O
No, no book, though i've been writing a little booklet about it and decided to turn it into a website. It's in all those books anyway but buried in too much mumbo jumbo.

Darwinist

Post by Darwinist » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:01 pm

This advice is seriously good, and in fact way too good for this thread :D

Cheers though!

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:31 pm

I can never figure out if evil is serious or not...
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

vdrum

Post by vdrum » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:34 pm

Would you be willing to share that web adress with us? GREAT, GREAT advice
eDrummer: Roland Vdrum kit Live 8/ MacBookPro 2.5 mhz & 2gb. Motu Ultralite.. Homemade midi-triggering pad for LIVE's filters , clips , & record buttons. Hopelessly hooked on live looping.

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:02 pm

Evil!

Please read the MANUAL!

You are a pain in .....

Try first!

Ask later!

Then you often dont even have to ask those crap.....

Dammit!
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:46 pm

vdrum wrote:Would you be willing to share that web adress with us? GREAT, GREAT advice
You bet. In about 2 weeks the site will be operational and I'll let you know. It will be up in about a week and tweeked out for another to chase down the buggy bits. Cheers

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:51 pm

Kranky, Have you read "Mixing With Your Mind" by Mike Stavrou? Do you rate it?

YILA

Post by YILA » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:55 pm

EvilEvilEvilEvilEvil wrote:I think I prefer compression over EQ but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

is this like your best notes for trance post?
Scan i5 in the studio. Dual core Pc laptop, 13inch macbookpro,RME fireface 800,live 8.1,operator. drum machines Myspace Soundcloud Youtube Twitter

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:10 am

Pitch Black wrote:Kranky, Have you read "Mixing With Your Mind" by Mike Stavrou? Do you rate it?
Nah, suppose I should though. The title is right up my alley. Mixing is definitely a feel craft to me and it's all about getting stuff thats in the way out of the way. Ahh, but what is in the way?

Thanks PB, maybe I should check a few books out, though I kinda just want to shoot from the hip with how I do things. I'm just looking to expose my niche and maybe a few will benefit. Hmm. thinking.....

anyway, off to the Rolling Stones show

Dr Dub

Post by Dr Dub » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:21 am

Yes, you ARE funny, but don t overdo it.... then it becomes disturbing

Goran@Irrupt

Post by Goran@Irrupt » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:34 am

this kind of post could only be writen by the guy who's into trance music.
black notes... yeah, right... :roll:

w :!:
http://www.irrupt.com ? Irrupt Studios / A&R