The MPC 1000 Plus Ableton Live Tread

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
deckme(N)tal

The MPC 1000 Plus Ableton Live Tread

Post by deckme(N)tal » Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:32 pm

So, seeing that there is an increasing number of people using the MPC 1000 little beast in conjunction with Ableton live, this is the right Tread to share all your tips and knowledge...let's go!
Cheers!

robin

Post by robin » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:09 pm

This is not helping with my gear lust for a mpc1000.

However having said this it may tip the balance :)

minimal

Post by minimal » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:24 pm

the only thing I can tell til now is that since I'm using the mpc1000 I barely use live for audio... Mainly I use live as a midifile pool, since I'm bad when it comes to play keyboards I record the midifiles for the synths in live so that I can later edit them with mouse, when I'm happy I record them into the mpc so that it sends the midi to my external synths.
Or I scroll in my old loop pool to see if I can recycle something, I have lots of shitty programmed loops with nice sounds, I slice them with the mpc and I rewrite new loops with my old sounds, which is very nice and brings more life in my old loops.
I have to upcoming live acts and I'm trying to figure out how to add the mpc to my live rig which, still have to figure out advantages and disadvantages, as first I think I will rewrite all the drum part of my live set into the mpc but doing so I lose some flexibility when it comes to effects, yes I know mpc has effects but you can't use them when in menu track mute, so I think I will get a shitty little behringer mixing desk for live acts only so that I can split outputs form the mpc and connect a 19" effect box to the mixer sends.
anyway I love working with the mpc, it took me back to my roots when I still was making music (err... trying to) w/o computer, only hardware.
The main reason I bought the mpc is because I wasn't happy anymore working with the computer only, I feel I need some physical feedback when doing music, the mouse doesn't make it for me.

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:48 am

bmp
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

D DAS

Post by D DAS » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:59 pm

as soon as i wrap my head around all of its features i will share some tips for sure. i am just getting in to using the q sliders. i ordered some ram from ebay and can not wait until it gets here. need more space.

peace

d~

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:40 pm

Around hour or so ago i was complaining how slow I am with MPC and that maybe I should get RS 7k instead. Meanwhile I have almost complete tune done with G2 and MPC only. It is just refreshing working different way. Different ideas different flow. Didnt touch the Live/MPC integration so far, not sure if I want even. Naturally I will finish it as audio in Live, but that is obvious.
I might stick to my initial idea sequencing all hardware on MPC and doing software side with Live.

lofi77

Post by lofi77 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:51 pm

i use the mpc1k (with jj os) primary for drumprogramming. nothing is tighter, faster and better for that job. i sync live to the mpc and record each drumpart.
then i use live for recording on the fly (ie. basslines, melodys....) and arrangement.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:02 am

D DAS wrote:as soon as i wrap my head around all of its features i will share some tips for sure. i am just getting in to using the q sliders. i ordered some ram from ebay and can not wait until it gets here. need more space.

peace

d~
D DAS - any tips on getting those going? I've been heavy into the Note Repeat and MUTE TRACK buttons, so much fun!!

Now I want to get into the beat slicing, then the sliders, then FX (I've toyed with FX but haven't gotten them to work, the manual is sooo dry!)

If I were to jump into the JJ OS would I confuse myself, I'm thinking I should get most of the features down from the stock OS then get into the updated OS. You posted that one could change OSs easily but there's only so much time...

Any tips appreciated, cool that a few of us are learning this as at the same time.

Then there's the integration into Live, I haven't even tried that yet. The audio samples are straightforward, the unknown is how to load the midi into Live and get the notes lined up again.

Wicked little box this is, I've never made beats to easily, it's also great to get new inspiration after getting bogged down in the new tech of Live, I got distracted.

Thanks again for the bad influence ;)

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:18 am

It is worth to pay 30$ just for not pulling the bloody USB cable in and out all the time, which is ridiculous anyway Akai are retards benefiting first from Linn design and now having their sells boosted thanks to JJ.

SUPERBANANBOMB

Post by SUPERBANANBOMB » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:35 am

We're gonna start the (mpc) 1000 man army.
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ laptop, 1 gig of ram
M-Audio Axiom 49
Korg PadKontrol
Roland JP-8080
Korg MS2000r

Ableton Live 6
Fruity Loops 6 XXL Producer Edition
Korg Legacy Collection
Waves DIAMOND bundle

SUPERBANANBOMB

Post by SUPERBANANBOMB » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:35 am

Women can come too. But only if they can cook. Or make beats.
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ laptop, 1 gig of ram
M-Audio Axiom 49
Korg PadKontrol
Roland JP-8080
Korg MS2000r

Ableton Live 6
Fruity Loops 6 XXL Producer Edition
Korg Legacy Collection
Waves DIAMOND bundle

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:05 am

word
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:37 am

I thought this was the "(OT) - How do u hook up with nice girls at the club?" thread.

D DAS

Post by D DAS » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:02 am

Tone Deft wrote:
D DAS wrote:as soon as i wrap my head around all of its features i will share some tips for sure. i am just getting in to using the q sliders. i ordered some ram from ebay and can not wait until it gets here. need more space.

peace

d~
D DAS - any tips on getting those going? I've been heavy into the Note Repeat and MUTE TRACK buttons, so much fun!!

Now I want to get into the beat slicing, then the sliders, then FX (I've toyed with FX but haven't gotten them to work, the manual is sooo dry!)

If I were to jump into the JJ OS would I confuse myself, I'm thinking I should get most of the features down from the stock OS then get into the updated OS. You posted that one could change OSs easily but there's only so much time...

Any tips appreciated, cool that a few of us are learning this as at the same time.

Then there's the integration into Live, I haven't even tried that yet. The audio samples are straightforward, the unknown is how to load the midi into Live and get the notes lined up again.

Wicked little box this is, I've never made beats to easily, it's also great to get new inspiration after getting bogged down in the new tech of Live, I got distracted.

Thanks again for the bad influence ;)
god i hate that i had the caps lock on when i signed up here at the forum, didn't think i would be around this much. i am more of a lower case kinda guy, but anyway

i was thinking of holding off on the new os for another day but if it lets you keep the usb cord plugged in than i am getting it tonight, i thought that was a bit annoying.

but on the q sliders and effects Tone D;

the q sliders can be used by clicking "mode" then "slider", there hit the pad you want to assign a slider to and choose what you want to adjust with that slider , you use the sliders in real time while recording. i have not used them for this yet.

they are also used to adjust your start and end points while creating/chopping loops. (at least they are a short cut)

effects are super easy to use, while in mixer mode go to the "go2fx" option which is F6 and choose what effects you want to use. you can create two individual effects or make an effects chain of 2 effects. once your effect is chosen click on F5 "go2mix" and select F3 "fxsend" click on the pad you want to add effects to and it will highlight, then use the cursor to go up to where it says of and move that to either 1 or 2. 1 and 2 = effect 1 and 2. on some effects you can adjust how much of the signal is being effected, you can do this by using the q slider # 2, you can record the effect changes in real time to your sequence. then to adjust the effect paramaters go back to "go2fx" or F6 and select F2 or F3 .

hope that made sense.

i guess i am going to track down jj's os now .

peace

d~

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:46 am

quick question- was thinking about getting the 1G ( JJ OS !!! ) couple questions if anyone wouldnt mind?
1. How does the harddrive integrate into the mpc? can you stream samples off of it or do you have to load them into ram from the HD?

2. do i need the black( 2nd Gen ) MPC1000, to use the HD? or just OS 2.0
- or -
3. Does JJ OS support the hard drive?