Vista vs. XP

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
freqn

Vista vs. XP

Post by freqn » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:30 pm

Will Vista use more resources, processor power, memory than XP or less? Anyone know?

veggieryan

Post by veggieryan » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:05 am

vista uses a little more ram,
but performs much more smoothly.
performance with live is much better.
reliablility is much better.
look is more pleasant.
hibernate and sleep are reliable.

go vista.
i have been on it for months and LOVE it.

Detritus

Post by Detritus » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:53 pm

Yeah, definitely agree with Vista being good.... Do have one track which refuses to render now though, which is a bit of a problem..... :evil:

richardl

Post by richardl » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:54 am

I've been using Vista with Live 5.2 and now 6.01 for a few months. Most recently with the final RTM version. Works fine. One thing is Live kills Vista's Aero Glass features (transparent windows, 3D task switch, live thumbnails, etc). Not a big deal as it comes back when you quit the program.

SUPERBANANBOMB

Post by SUPERBANANBOMB » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:40 am

How do you guys have Vista?
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ laptop, 1 gig of ram
M-Audio Axiom 49
Korg PadKontrol
Roland JP-8080
Korg MS2000r

Ableton Live 6
Fruity Loops 6 XXL Producer Edition
Korg Legacy Collection
Waves DIAMOND bundle

muscleandhate

Post by muscleandhate » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:57 pm

Lies lol.

hgavin

Post by hgavin » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:42 pm

muscleandhate wrote:Lies lol.
I've been on the Vista beta-test program since about February. Beta 2 was available as a public beta for anyone who registered. MSDN subscribers have been able to download preview versions for most of the year as well. The final version of Vista was made available on MSDN and to the beta-test community nearly two weeks ago.

The latest versions RC1 (Release Candidate 1) and the final RTM (Release to Manufacturing) have been pretty solid and stable. I haven't tried Live on them (don't think my employer would approve), but as long as hardware vendors update their drivers there shouldn't be any issues with most hardware. I don't personally think the underlying OS has changed all that much, the software I develop has pretty much worked without modification on Vista.
All the gear but no idea.

richardl

Post by richardl » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:31 pm

hgavin wrote:but as long as hardware vendors update their drivers there shouldn't be any issues with most hardware.
This is probably the thorniest issue for Live users. So far I've found some XP sound drivers work in Vista, but many do not. Often the problems seem to be just with the installers. Vista supports new classes of audio hardware called HD Audio requiring new drivers. There are also two versions of Vista a 32-bit version and 64-bit version. As with XP you may need different drivers for the 32 and 64-bit version. I don't know. I've only been working with the 32-bit Vista.

The audio subsystem in Vista has been completely overhauled. It now has lower latency and per-app mixing built into the system. So you should be able to get much better performance using DX audio rather than having to resort to ASIO. There's a new Sound Recorder app and a new Sounds Control Panel. And I believe there are some new low level programming interfaces for HD Audio hardware. How any of this gets used in applications like Live is anyone's guess. But many things have supposedly been addressed.

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:01 pm

Network midi in Vista? Please?