How much ram do you use?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Enots

How much ram do you use?

Post by Enots » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:13 am

How much ram are you using in your machine running ableton? is it dual channel? what kind of ram is it?
Christ Jesus is King
www.tonystonebeats.com

SUPERBANANBOMB

Post by SUPERBANANBOMB » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:04 am

I have one gig of RAM, but I don't know what kind it is. Whatever's stock in my laptop.

I've never used more than a gig of RAM ever, is there really much of a difference between 1 gig and 2?
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ laptop, 1 gig of ram
M-Audio Axiom 49
Korg PadKontrol
Roland JP-8080
Korg MS2000r

Ableton Live 6
Fruity Loops 6 XXL Producer Edition
Korg Legacy Collection
Waves DIAMOND bundle

djmyke

Post by djmyke » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:42 am

i got only one ram.... works for me

but adding one soon..=)

live 7. reason 4
maudio fwire 410 axiom 49. fcb1010
taylor 614ce
banshee talkbox

Enots

Post by Enots » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:30 am

i currently have a gig too. I wanted to see how much people use on their systems.. wondering if the upgrade to 2 gigs or 2 gig dual channel would provide SIGNIFICANT performance boosts in ableton..
Christ Jesus is King
www.tonystonebeats.com

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:39 am

it depends on how you use live as to whether you'll see much improvement with a ram upgrade. if you use alot of audio tracks then if you upgrade your ram you can easily put more audio tracks into ram mode and this will help. if alot of your work is vst oriented then ram won't help all that much. at least thats what I understand of it.

I only have 512 ram... terrible...
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:43 am

Maybe it's been covered, but wouldn't it depend mostly on what/how much sampler (of any brand) is being used?

besides, it seems like whatever you have, it isn't enough! :P

Contra

Post by Contra » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:03 am

Johnisfaster wrote: I only have 512 ram... terrible...
welcome to the club

got to make mad traks with fx then resample them and sequence em,
makes it kinda fun tho.

signal

Post by signal » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:15 am

I'd never had any problems with 1 gig, or even just 512MB, but I recently expanded fully to 2 gigs in order to take better advantage of preset management within instrument racks.

Now I can load instrument racks with 128 simpler or impulse instances each with a different preset. This makes auditioning patches faster and enables automated kit changes - finally. Load times for sets with multiple tracks containing racks like this are greatly increased, by the way.

Filling up RAM to this extent, while convenient in some ways, does cause Live to respond more slowly, even with processor usage under 10%, and I don't have high hopes for what performance would be like if trying to do extensive work in Arrange view with all those samples sitting in memory. I've been rendering audio and importing it into a new sets after after a certain point in order to free up resources.

As the man said, more RAM can never hurt, but a lot of unused memory doesn't do you much good either if your style of working doesn't require it.

Contra

Post by Contra » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:33 am

signal wrote:I'd never had any problems with 1 gig, or even just 512MB, but I recently expanded fully to 2 gigs in order to take better advantage of preset management within instrument racks.

Now I can load instrument racks with 128 simpler or impulse instances each with a different preset. This makes auditioning patches faster and enables automated kit changes - finally. Load times for sets with multiple tracks containing racks like this are greatly increased, by the way.

Filling up RAM to this extent, while convenient in some ways, does cause Live to respond more slowly, even with processor usage under 10%, and I don't have high hopes for what performance would be like if trying to do extensive work in Arrange view with all those samples sitting in memory. I've been rendering audio and importing it into a new sets after after a certain point in order to free up resources.

As the man said, more RAM can never hurt, but a lot of unused memory doesn't do you much good either if your style of working doesn't require it.
do u run the EIC?

Enots

Post by Enots » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:23 am

signal wrote:I'd never had any problems with 1 gig, or even just 512MB, but I recently expanded fully to 2 gigs in order to take better advantage of preset management within instrument racks.

Good stuff, that was helpful insight
Christ Jesus is King
www.tonystonebeats.com

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:28 pm

i previously had 1G w/ 2 @ P-ATA drives. recently upped it to 2G w/ a new S-ATA drive. I put my ableton working stuff on the new drive, and left vst's and reason stuff on the 2nd drive.

things are working much better now. i think the new HD was the biggest help but i'm sure the extra ram is not hurting anything.

i don't really get any dropouts in playing the EIC patches, unless the set is taxed in the first place. before i couldn't really play the big patches like the grand piano.

signal

Post by signal » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:22 pm

Contra wrote:do u run the EIC?
No. I'd go that road if I were doing commercial work, but I've never really found a place for sample libraries in my own music. If I want really cleanly recorded sounds I usually turn to synthesis. I mostly slice out thousands of tiny samples from vinyl and recordings that I've made.

alin55

Post by alin55 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:31 pm

signal wrote:

I maxed out my ram at 4gb when I ordered my new pc a couple of months ago.

It made sense at the time cos I could get ram cheaper from Dell then, than if I decided to add more later.

Live 6 runs like a dream. I've really pushed the machine and never got more than 35% on the meter and no glitches or noise.

The EIC is amazing - no problem with loading anything. :lol:

Life is sweet!!! (except I've got to go to work tomorrow) :cry:

the unknown wanderer

Post by the unknown wanderer » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:47 pm

2gig an still not happy and that is me maxed

Contra

Post by Contra » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:06 pm

alin55 wrote:
signal wrote:

I maxed out my ram at 4gb when I ordered my new pc a couple of months ago.

It made sense at the time cos I could get ram cheaper from Dell then, than if I decided to add more later.

Live 6 runs like a dream. I've really pushed the machine and never got more than 35% on the meter and no glitches or noise.

The EIC is amazing - no problem with loading anything. :lol:

Life is sweet!!! (except I've got to go to work tomorrow) :cry:

word i feel what you saying signal,

but ima have it for background orchestral sounds and freak the fuck out of it, and layer live instruments, and vinyl samples,
etc etc

as with all samples, its good to freak them.....

work sucks alin55 but then we wouldnt have equipment....