Live and Yamaha 01x good combo ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rikhyray

Live and Yamaha 01x good combo ?

Post by rikhyray » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:14 pm

I know it is Cubase thing now but I dont think would ever go back there. How well does it integrate with Live ? I consider getting it for soundcard + live Live mixer. Any users ?

chris_dan

Post by chris_dan » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:15 pm

I've been using Live for about a year with an 01X and I'm very happy with the performance. I checked out M-Audio's ProjectMix at the time and it was far easier to configure into the system not to mention it just looked better...ya know with those long 100mm motorized faders and what not. I had the 01X on a trial for about a week and it took that long or better to configure it into my system. The bottom line was the bottom line partially. It was about 25% less than other controller's in that feature range. It uses mLAN for data transfer (same cable as firewire 1394) which is also an "odd duck" but sonically it does a good job. I don't know if it's compatible with firewire...I need to check that out. On the other hand is does operate as a stand alone digital mixer, a 24bit 96Khz audio interface, 2x16 midi interface, 4 band parametric EQ and 2 channels of DSP efx. It's got a bit of a learning curve but it's worth it in the long run. I think only once did I use any of the on board EQ/DYN or FX...with all that Live has to offer why would you? It would be OK for small band as you only have 10 inputs. The mic pre's are just average.

Chris
Chris