What is the timetable on 64-bit support?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
adi

What is the timetable on 64-bit support?

Post by adi » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:08 am

Like many people on here, I have a dual-core processor that is 64-bit capable, and now that Vista is being released, I am wanting to upgrade to the 64-bit version of Vista so that I can put more memory in my system and have the OS be able to use it, but at the same time I don't want to run my DAW in 32-bit emulation inside of my OS, so I am stuck with not being able to upgrade to Vista until Ableton has a 64-bit version of the software.

Considering the implication this has for a DAW, this seems like a pressing issue to me.
Vista 64 Ultimate, Core i7 920, 12GB ram

muscleandhate

Post by muscleandhate » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:33 am

Quite some time I think lol.

adi

Post by adi » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:41 pm

damn, that sucks. obviously a DAW is a place i really need more than 2GB of memory, but as long as they stay 32-bit we are all screwed.

sqook

Post by sqook » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:46 pm

Don't hold your breath. Sun, IBM, AMD, and Intel have all released 64-bit chips over the last decade, and every one of those vendors promised us that full 64-bit support for apps and the OS was "right around the corner". I think that it's just a bigger corner than they anticipated....

adi

Post by adi » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:03 pm

well the OS problem is finally solved -- both OSX and Vista come as 64-bit now (vista will ship with an option to install either 64 or 32 from the same disk), so now the OS is not a question. and vista 64 will give users better security, so it's in everyone's interests to go with that. and, as i said, it will help a LOT when we can actually use more than 2 GB of memory (which is all any 32-bit version of windows will allocate to live).

so as long as it's not in 64 bit now, it's really holding back our use of memory in a big way.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:57 am

the first problem is the os. Yes, leopard will have it, and so will vista but neither are out. And let's face it, it will be MONTHS after the release before 3rd party developers get it going.

So, the new intelmacs for example have 64 bit capability, but who the hell knows when it will be mainstream. Oh, it will.........but I'm guessing at least one more year...probably two...based on current events and how long 64 bit machines have already been out with little or NO support!

And to make matters worse, the osx going to intel has been much slower than anticipated. These 3rd party devo's are now looking at coding for intel mac, 64 bit intel mac/LEOPARD as well as the 32 bit version, vista 64 and 32........it's just too much!

I'll bet the abe's get it done faster than most. UB's came out really really FAST for them......so they must have an inside track so to speak (well, they are the "abe's"....we've been used to cool shit from them for a long time!)

Not that it matters yet, but when leopard comes out.....64 bit will be on the FOREFRONT of devo's minds......they probably for the most part will want to get it out of the way.....so to speak :wink:

buzzcock

Post by buzzcock » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:14 pm

Well at least on Leopard the transition can be a gradual one, simultaneously using 32bit apps and 64bit ones as they become available. Vista 64bit will only run 32bit stuff under emulation.

"Starting with Xcode 2.4, the OSX Universal binary format has been extended to support 32-bit and 64-bit for both PPC and Intel processors inside the same file, giving OSX quad universal binaries. Users don't have to choose between processor architectures nor 32-bit or 64-bit processors, either at the OS or application layers, it's all abstracted away from them - as it should be.

Note that the non-emulated support in OSX is for applications and drivers. 32-bit programs on Vista 64 need to work on WOW emulation to run in Vista, and 32-bit drivers are a no-no. Lack of driver support is the main reason Windows XP x64 hasn't been widely adopted, and why the Vista fudge will ensure hardware incompatibilities between the two Windows versions remain for sometime to come."

From this article:

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33666
MBP C2D 2.33GHz---Metric Halo MIO 2882