Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ek

Post by ek » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Just picked these 2 up yesterday, was wondering if anyone has any personal experience with either of these 2 products. The m-audio has the same pre-amps as the internal audiophile 24/96 card, which I thought were actually pretty damn clean sounding.

I just basically need to know if any has horror stories from either of these 2 products.

Thanks for your help.

paolo topaz

Post by paolo topaz » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:13 pm

i have had this soundcard for over a year and have never had any problems at all with when gigging live every weekend with it.

I got the Axiom 25 a few months ago and I've only used it for home production but it seems to work fine with Ableton.

I'm trying to teach myself to play basic keybords on it, does anyone have any tips on learning to play basic melodies?

Paolo
Paolo

ek

Post by ek » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:00 pm

Well all music that you are trying to make is comprised of 12 notes unless your trying to make "eastern music." Try your best to understand that within these 12 notes that are a finite amount of combinations that could possibly be explored, all this means is that it "composition" is not as difficult as alot of people make it out to be. There are some guidelines but it's important to not hold onto them too deeply, because I find that I can make some really killer melodies if I think outside of the box.

Some basic things on the keyboard or piano would be like not playing the immediate note to the left or right of the last note just played, but this isn't absolute I just find it works like 80% of the time depending on your composition style. Id reccomend learning scales / chords / and in reality just practicing helps a ton. Little things like getting your fingering comfartable so you can play some chords & notes without looking at the keys as well as not accidentally pressing additional keys.

Learn a little singing as well, youd be suprised with how much you can accomplish away from the keyboard just by sining notes or humming. Mykeyboard skill depended heavily on the rhythm of my hands, which I acquired through skratching & teaching myself to play the drums, so my melodies generally have more of a rhytmic punch then other people I listen to. Practice practice practice & refine what you want to become.

ek

tencentcat

Post by tencentcat » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:14 pm

I just got an Axiom 61 yesterday, and with the little time I was able to spend setting it up I'm very happy with it.

The action on the keys is very nice, the pads feel solid (and not too sensitive), it was easy to set up in Logic Pro and Live 6, and seems to be especially sturdy compared with other M-Audio gear.

Atomikat

Post by Atomikat » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:22 am

I've been using the Firewire Audiophile for a long time with no problems, easy to set up, clean sound...despite what a lot of people say about it. :D

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:21 am

I think the audiophile has had MUCH better luck than the fw 410 (which is the most hated soundcard in history).....so that's probably ok.

I love my axiom. I love it LOVE IT! Now, I have the 49 which has some other features the 25 doesn't, but I think the layout overall is really intuitive.

I think the two things I like best about it are a. the sensitivity of the keys and how easily it is to change it if you need something different. b. the pads.......I have tried allot of "pads" from many manufacturers........this is the first product I've used that are decent! I have BFD/jazzfunk, ADDICTIVEDRUMS (released soon) and I just love how I can use these pads for nice hypersensitive stuff......and with the keys too!