Just to reiterate...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
muscleandhate

Just to reiterate...

Post by muscleandhate » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:14 pm

OSX users avoid M-Audio.

Despite latest drivers, my Audiophile has caused two kernal panics in the past four days.

This is all.

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:33 pm

My audiofire has caused one.
I'm thinkin' its firewire problem and OSX.
Never had a firewire interface before and never had problems before. Now performance has dropped but it sounds nice (Just a bit gutted really, a bunch of things I could use with my old interface glitch and pop now with the firewire audio...maybe I need to buy a PCMCIA card and plug it into its own socket. Any advice ? What order to chain with HD etc ?) Done a little research and checked out my cpu is spiking now too. Audio + Firewire ?
My 8x8 is still doing what its meant to do thankfully but I won't buy M-Audio so its cool.
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

muscleandhate

Post by muscleandhate » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:12 am

The problem is as follows :-

Switch USB Audiophile on.

Kernal Panic.

OSX shuts down.

kooki415

Post by kooki415 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:42 am

are you using the latest version of osx? its been causing hangs in practically every program i have.. avoid 10.4.8!!!!

smutek

Post by smutek » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:54 am

I've been using 10.4.8 since it first showed up in software update and have not had any problems at all.

I'm not using an M-Audio card on this computer though, and I am also on a G5 as opposed to an intel. I do use the Quattro on my powerbook, also running 10.4.8, and haven't had an issue there either.

I did have a similar problem a few years back though, with OSX.(whatever it was then) and an M-Audio Quattro USB. It started right after I did a driver update which I installed, foolishlly, the same night as a gig. Same exact thing as music and hate said, except for me sometimes I'd crash as soon as I switched the soundcard on, and sometimes I would be able to run audio fine for a few minutes before a crash. I crashed live that night in front of a lot of people and it really sucked.

I remember I had a another gig the next night, or two nights later, and still didn't have it sorted out. I noticed, while this was happening, if I would restart my powerbook with the Quattro plugged in and switched on, after a system crash, I would be ok. So, for the next gig I had to purposely crash my powerbook and restart before playing. It was retarded and I was a nervous wreck the entire time.

End solution for me was to manually uninstall the driver by doing a system wide search to be sure I had gotten rid of all the components, then reinstalling the driver. It's worked fine ever since.

I feel for you guys, that was a real nightmare for me, and I hope you get it sorted soon.

smutek

Post by smutek » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:05 am

kooki415 wrote:are you using the latest version of osx? its been causing hangs in practically every program i have.. avoid 10.4.8!!!!
kookl, do you repair permissions after major software instalations? If not, you need to repair permissions. Not through disk utility, but by booting into your software install disk and running disk utility from there.

You should do this everytime you install any new software that requires more than a drag and drop to install, especially after installing an OS update. Just FYI incase you didn't know.

BinaryB

Post by BinaryB » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:31 am

smutek wrote:
kooki415 wrote:are you using the latest version of osx? its been causing hangs in practically every program i have.. avoid 10.4.8!!!!
kookl, do you repair permissions after major software instalations? If not, you need to repair permissions. Not through disk utility, but by booting into your software install disk and running disk utility from there.

You should do this everytime you install any new software that requires more than a drag and drop to install, especially after installing an OS update. Just FYI incase you didn't know.
That is great info.

I had the same problem with M-Audio drivers and OSX a couple of years back.

Solved the prob with New OS install.
then
Sold the M-Audio. to make sure.
Live8 & Serato
Download NYE'08 DJset

Poster

Post by Poster » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:37 am

both Audiophile PCI and the external FW box failed bigtime here..
switched to MOTU Ultralite.. all probs gone..
no more M-Audio for me..

smutek

Post by smutek » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:16 am

BinaryB wrote:Solved the prob with New OS install.
then
Sold the M-Audio. to make sure.
Yes.... well I suppose that will take care of it then wouldn't it.

8)

muscleandhate

Post by muscleandhate » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:18 am

smutek wrote:

How do you boot into the software install disk?

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:13 am

muscleandhate wrote:How do you boot into the software install disk?
Just put your OSX disc in the drive and restart
Hold down the C key as your computer boots and you should hear it boot from the Disc.
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

smutek

Post by smutek » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:15 pm

Yup.

And once it boots up click next on the language screen, just as if you were going to re-install. At the second screen select utilities/disk utilities from the top menu. Once you've finished repairing permissions quit disk utility and select utilities/start-up disk and re-boot into your OS.

For some reason, to do it properly, it needs to be done from outside the OS.

muscleandhate

Post by muscleandhate » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:24 pm

With subsequent research, I discovered that apparently doing this changes permissions back to those that existed before any update/s. This allegedly solicits errors with the updates as they are using non-relevant file permissions?

pearsonart.com

Post by pearsonart.com » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:52 pm

I don't think it's fair to brand the audiophile as the problem. Why?...because I've been using the firewire audiofile for over a year in OS X 10.3.9 with absolutely no problems at all.

I'll say it again, I've had no kernel panics or shutdowns of any kind in over a year.

My setup is very modest - a g4 mac mini and external firewire drive connected to the second firewire port on the audiophile. I record 8-16 track projects on a weekly basis and use the audiophile for my system audio out so itunes and all web audio is passing through it daily.

When I purchased the external drive, M-audio explained that the audiophile had to be connected to the main bus. That's why they provide the second port. Any external drives should be daisy chained from this port.

Also, it's not necessary to restart from the install disc to repair permissions. In fact, it's guaranteed to cause problems if you've since updated your os to a newer version. Download Onyx from here:

http://www.titanium.free.fr/index.html#

get the version for your os and run it once a week. It does everything the os is scheduled to do and more.

I don't doubt that everyone is experiencing real problems. Maybe it's limited to the usb version of the audiophile? Then again, maybe it's a system maintenance/permissions issue? I just know the firewire version has been great and I recommend it highly.

smutek

Post by smutek » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:23 pm

muscleandhate wrote:With subsequent research, I discovered that apparently doing this changes permissions back to those that existed before any update/s. This allegedly solicits errors with the updates as they are using non-relevant file permissions?
pearsonart.com wrote:Also, it's not necessary to restart from the install disc to repair permissions. In fact, it's guaranteed to cause problems if you've since updated your os to a newer version. Download Onyx from here:
HMMM. This definitely makes sense. Though I have to say I have been doing it this way for years and have never had a problem. I suppose I am fortunate. I don't know though, that's just the way I was told to do it.

I'm curious though, one of the reasons I started doing it this way was because I noticed that when running permissions repair from the OS I could run it back to back, and each time there would be more permissions to repair. One would think that once permissions are repaired that there would not be more to be repaired on a second run, and I would end up with a clean report.

Now, that happened about two years ago, and I must have been having some issues then. Earlier today I ran a permissions repair from the boot disk and there were only like two items that needed repair. After reading this post I ran permissions repair from the OS and recieved a lengthy report. I ran it a second time and got a clean report with no items needing repair.

Sorry for giving faulty information and thanks for the correct info.