How should I handle this [music related] [FIXED]!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Adonis

How should I handle this [music related] [FIXED]!

Post by Adonis » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:57 pm

So we just had another track come out on TMMR - it's available on Juno.co.uk

Really good remixes of the original - If your into good electro'ish techno check this one for real

but

So I did the track with my friend Roman and on the little spindle label it gives proper credit (it's a download only release) but what would be the record sleeve my names no where to be found - it just has my buddies name as big as day

Should I be upset about that? Does this happen a lot? I feel kind of weird about it - I'm not upset just sort of...odd

anywayz

PROBLEMS BEEN FIXED!
Last edited by Adonis on Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:02 pm

sue his ass

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:19 pm

Talk to your label, but be nice about it. If they aren't douchebags, they should be able to fix the next batch if they can get in contact with the person who designed the original sleeve. Judging by the pictures on the website, it doesn't look like such a big deal. At least your name is on the record!

Also, did you consider that maybe they did it on purpose? It might be a marketing tactic. Perhaps they believe that by having only Roman's name on the sleeve, it would sell better than if they also included your name. Just a thought. (and the person who designed that label should go back to graphic design school!)

It's their problem, but don't burn any bridges... Unless you want to. Heh heh.
Last edited by hacktheplanet on Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:29 pm

not so cool, yes .... Fwiw, the site also indicates your name in the title, which on first glance is more prominent than what's on the cover image, that plus the sleeve makes the cover seem more like a misprint.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

Adonis

Post by Adonis » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:35 pm

I'm not up for burning bridges and in some ways it's my fault - I don't like being involved in the business side of music...I left all that up to Roman

between school, work and trying to maintain a relationship with my life long partner the last thing I want to do is talk or even deal with the business (or marketing) side of music

I'd rather just make a song and have it magically appear somewhere out there in music land - but that's not really a reality for someone like me who's just lucky enough to have someelse listen to my music so...

thing is - they sent the art work to Roman before it went out

marky

Post by marky » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:18 pm

It's a tough one, I've been in a similar situation; dividing up credits and royalties and the like is no fun, and gets particularly difficult after the fact.

But if it's your buddy and the trust is there then you should definitely sit down and be up front about it. Since it's download-only, can't changes be made easily ? It's not like a run of vinyl which couldn't be changed...

Failing that, maybe for the next track you two do together, you could get the limelight and just have your name on it...

Good luck man

- Mark
Awright Bawjaws, that smells lovely son, gies a wee taste!
--------------------------------
www.myspace.com/interposition

marky

Post by marky » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:18 pm

Also - should have said congrats on the new release, I'll definitely be checking it out.
Awright Bawjaws, that smells lovely son, gies a wee taste!
--------------------------------
www.myspace.com/interposition

bradelectro

Post by bradelectro » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:28 pm

Adonis wrote:Does this happen a lot?
]
Yes, it happens all the time, sucks! Congrats on the release tho- at least you got your name on part of it and not totally left off. Def. let your friend know how you feel. marky has a good idea about chaging the artwork, however, I've heard t can be difficult to change stuff w/ download shops like Juno, Beatport, etc. Once it's up it's up I guess- lots of paperwork to submit tracks I know.

Adonis

Post by Adonis » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:43 pm

Well that's weak but I'm going to ask the guy who runs the label if it can be changed

problem with staying out of the business / marketing loop I've never talked to the guy

I've dealt with a couple people on the business side of things and they say they prefer one point of contact - I can see why

I'll ask my friend first to get a hold of his boy and see if the change can be made

another thing here is - I don't put out a lot music so the precious few that do come out with my name on it should count - know what I mean

interesting that this is kind of the nature of a bigger beast here

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:19 pm

Stand up son!
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:01 pm

Adonis, what did Roman say about it?
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

jb61264

Post by jb61264 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:06 pm

If this guy is your buddy and you collaborate on stuff, it should be a non-issue for him...He should have known better in the first place though to give you proper credit, thats rude!
3.2 GHz Windows XP, Live 7, Reason 4, FL Studio 7, Stylus RMX, Sytrus, Toxic III, Novation X-Station 49, Akai MPD24, EMu XK6, Roland MC-303, Gemini BPM5000 Mixer, MBox

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:29 pm

stale bread wrote:Adonis, what did Roman say about it?
I didn't see it until this morning when I got to work and checked Juno

So I called and left Roman a message

he said he hadn't seen the artwork - I asked him about that because he told me he had got the art work from his contact, he said he got it (yes) but he couldn't open the file for some reason.

He asked me to email the guy and tell him - I said, nah - you've been the contact on this one and you should deal with it.

I trust he'll work it out.

Ture it's a download only track and I don't see how hard it would be to change the artwork - if it was printed to vinyl and on some wall in some record store somewhere I'd be a little bit more disturbed

it's fixable and not the biggest deal - I'm surprised the track even saw the light of day and the remixes are pretty cool so I've got a lot more to be thankful for then discouraged...
Ableton | Elektron

Music

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:37 pm

tell dude to get his shit together, its not cool to tell you to straighten everything out when shit went down on his watch, and tell'em I said 'don't make me hafta get on a greyhound and come down to seattle', I know you're reading this Roman..... stop fckin with the fam :x
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

mathew

Post by mathew » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:43 pm

i had that happen with a record that came out on select recordings.
Philip Eno - Break Out The Paddle, the song was "Gordon Gattrell's Revenge"..

i did some synth work but was never credited.

i tried to talk to ryan (philip eno) and paul from select but they were unconcerned. i had to buy my own copy!
accepting the problem will only make it go away.
Not Boyfriend Material