What is the dopest American city to live in?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:14 pm

i loved punk rock touring in the early 80s, out of a van, playing sheds in nebraska, wyoming, wherever, the kids driving in from hours away. but much of mainstream touring aint at all like that, cause you have to stay on a schedule, the shows can be really far apart (particularly out west), you've got too many people and too much equipment for there to be much flexibility, and you tour for months, not just weeks.

i don't think there's anything particularly objectionable or debatable about asserting that, on most real tours, you don't really see much of the towns you visit (unless you're lucky and a rare day off falls in somewhere decent (days at the beach are particularly nice to fight that nite-club pallor)). you also don't see much of the countryside if you do your driving at nite so that folk can sleep on the bus, which happens as well.

Approach

Post by Approach » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:16 pm

Just move up north to Indy and hang with Dj Shiva and Adam Jay.

Stankluv

Post by Stankluv » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:02 am

New Orleans before Katrina hit was an awesome city with a nearly legendary electronic / rave scene. And the music scene as a whole has been and always will be legenday here. Cant beat the culture, food and atmosphere. But sadly since then it has become a shit hole with crime through the roof along with many other terrible factors. 5 cops were shot yesterday alone. People are getting robbed at gunpoint while pumping gas for crying out loud. They can paint whatever fairy tale picture of recovery and rebuilding on TV, but the truth is this city is sinking fast and will never be anything close to what it used to be. Stay far away from here if I were you.

Adonis

Post by Adonis » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:06 am

That's weak - but crimes always been a issue in New Orleans (but it's worse ah?)

Perhaps another Hurricane is in order

mission

Post by mission » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:11 am

ive lived in madison, milwaukee, st louis, chicago, los angeles and orange county and would have to say that atlanta is definitely my favorite place to live so far. literally every day im running into new musicians and producers. my next door neighbor makes hip hop and tricil from this forum it turns out lives kiddy corner from me. the music scene is insane, the potential money here in business is out of control and it's the most transient city in the country ... more than half its residents are not from georgia. obviously there is a reason people come here.

not to mention the female scene is out of control... anywhere i go it seems like something random with a chick is happening even if im record shopping with clothes on from yesterday and a three day beard. it's ridiculous. hot bitches every where wanting some. lol

i love this CITY. metro atlanta is pretty wack but if you're in the city, it's definitely the place to be.
if creativity is outlawed, only outlaws will be creative

Mission / DEFIANT / L5P / R-TOWN

Adonis

Post by Adonis » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:17 am

mission wrote:ive lived in madison, milwaukee, st louis, chicago, los angeles and orange county and would have to say that atlanta is definitely my favorite place to live so far. literally every day im running into new musicians and producers. my next door neighbor makes hip hop and tricil from this forum it turns out lives kiddy corner from me. the music scene is insane, the potential money here in business is out of control and it's the most transient city in the country ... more than half its residents are not from georgia. obviously there is a reason people come here.

not to mention the female scene is out of control... anywhere i go it seems like something random with a chick is happening even if im record shopping with clothes on from yesterday and a three day beard. it's ridiculous. hot bitches every where wanting some. lol

i love this CITY. metro atlanta is pretty wack but if you're in the city, it's definitely the place to be.
I got a lot fo family there, visit the place from time to time

I was told it's pretty transient because well where else are you gonna live in that whole part of the country that's not back ass wards

the historically black schools help - if you're black and need an education and good job - move to Atlanta

if you're gay and don't want to live in Lynchburg Mississippi - you move to Atlanta

if you think you can half way rap but aren't getting any love in Hatersville Tennesse - move to Atlanta

I love Atlanta - is Satellite Records still in business down there?

I went to a really fat Rave on top of a warehouse there back in '93 - that was hot

I can even attest to the girls - new years '95 - some random gril, I even went back to visit - but that was a bad idea because I forgot I drunk I was when we hooked up (awkward - yes)

props and peace

a

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:54 am

Adonis wrote:Portlands pretty dope though - they have a really goos strip club circuit and adult entertainment is huge
OK, if we're gonna use that yard stick then Miami(So. Fla.) -hands down- has the hottest latina exotic dancers hailing from Colombia, Venezuela, etc. that makes everything else green-skinned skank by comparison.
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

massiveheadpain

Post by massiveheadpain » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:52 am

Phoenix is not ass. Its blowing up. especially Scottsdale. Its the Beverly Hills in the desert. LA is great if your rich as fuck. San Diego now there is a good city if you can afford La jolla - go for it

onyx

Post by onyx » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:59 am

well, just left NYC, which was such a shitty waste of time. but now i'm back in San francisco, and i am remembering how much i love it here. i live in oakland next to the BART, so i pay next to nothing to live 4 stops from SF. and luckily, all the clubs that i love going to, stay open til at least 4, and somethimes much later. also, since i've been back here, I've started my own party, backlitloungeSF in a dope space, and have been getting some really sick club gigs. the women are uninhibited and everyone likes to party without any judgement.

and for some strange reason, SF and LA have the hugest numbers of really great club dancers anywhere, period. you go our and look accross the dance floor and EVERYBODY is busting dope moves. and thats at house clubs, hip hop, DnB, and even trance!!!

If i'm not living in berlin or london, then its gotta be San francisco.

onyx

Approach

Post by Approach » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:01 am

Atlanta is pretty sweet. Visited there a couple years ago to see DJ Shadow but ended up seeing Gwar at some place in Little Five Points. (I still have the T-shirt with the fake blood and urine all over it) Think the place that had Dj Shadow was having Slayer in the next week so if variety is your thing then ATL's definately got it. ABout the Little Five POints place. Its filled with lots of cool shops. Adonis mentioned Sattelite Records, well thats where it was or is. Really mixed bag in that neighborhood. Punkers, ravers, hip hop heads, homeless and freaks in general just sorta hanging out. Good stuff. Later we went to the party district people were calling Bucketheads. I'm not sure what Bucketheads means or where to locate it on a map but the beautiful women and booze were a plenty.

Adonis

Post by Adonis » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:10 am

buckhead

it's a neighborhood - a lot of nice houses there

reset

Post by reset » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:36 am

New Orleans: It's cheap and the people, food and music there are awesome.

http://rclique.org
Little Phatty, MonoMachine, SH101/09, Xbase09, Micromodular, Moebius.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:41 am

Approach wrote:Later we went to the party district people were calling Bucketheads. I'm not sure what Bucketheads means or where to locate it on a map but the beautiful women and booze were a plenty.
/had to be done. That woud be a crazy fun community.

Good thread, cool stories.

Superflat - what's life like in Leadville? Seems like a cool place to live.
"Obsession is a great substitute for talent." - Steve Martin on learning the banjo

Dell Inspiron 15 7000, Live 10.1, Win10 Home, Edirol UA101, APC40, Remote SL, SPD-SX, mic, guitars, JX305, Nova
soundcloud.com/tone-deft

PLB

Post by PLB » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:39 am

Tone Deft wrote:PLB - yeah, there's no one answer to the vibe of a city.
So what about SLC? I've known people from there, it's a pretty diverse area, from the mormons to everyone else to the mountain hippies, you like it?
Salt Lake City is possibly the lamest city of it's size in the country and it's easiest one of the most beautiful. it's surrounded by huge mountains on one side and desert (with more mountains) on the other. it's very quick to find yourself at a ski resort, out in the middle of the desert, or at some small alpine lake. but the state of mind of this place can be brutal. it's the most conservative state and everyone is on prozac. people are somewhat cold, they like their little personal space around them. slc itself is very liberal but all of the surrounding suburb cities are mainly mormon and conservative. and the club laws are rough (no more alcohol after 1 and clubs close at 2) plus they outlawed dancing after 2 to stop raves. one of the things about the attitude here that gets me the most is how isolated people are from the rest of the world (this is everyone in salt lake, not just the mormons). everyone thinks slc is some great metropolis, there is a total lack of vision here and it makes me sad.

don't move here lol

i didn't even get started on the lack of a good electronic scene

oh yeah there are a lot of urban hippies here and they love it

PLB

Post by PLB » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:10 am

i should say there are some great people here too :D