MOTU 828 MKII Users.....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
northernlight

MOTU 828 MKII Users.....

Post by northernlight » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:55 pm

how loud is your unit?

is it normal that it's a bit noisy like a pc or something.

the noise comes from the unit itself not from the speakers.

anyone else notice this?

gaspode

Post by gaspode » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:21 pm

Sorry, haven't noticed this on any of my systems yet. Do you have a grounding issue... try a different computer as it might have a grounding issue caused by the drives or something too...

northernlight

Post by northernlight » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:11 pm

gaspode wrote:Sorry, haven't noticed this on any of my systems yet. Do you have a grounding issue... try a different computer as it might have a grounding issue caused by the drives or something too...
it's also when i do not plug it into the pc and run it in standalone.

all other gear works fine.

spiderprod

Post by spiderprod » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:32 am

not normal ,
try to take the earth out .

theshaggyfreak

Post by theshaggyfreak » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:13 am

If it's making loud humming noise that you can still hear around 4-6 feet away, you have a bad power supply. I had the same problem with mine when I had it. I had to send it back to MOTU to have it replaced and it cost me $50.00.

pev

Post by pev » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:16 pm

spiderprod wrote:not normal ,
Er, no. If you've got earthing issues sort them out properly. Lifting the earth to non-isolated equipment is a recipe for electrocution and electrocution will kill you. Dont Do It..

On a positive note towards resolution break are you talking about physical noise or electrical noise? If physical noise it's probably the power supply. If electrical noise unplug everything apart from the mains supply to the 828 and listen using headphones or anything not mains driven. Listen for lack of noise and then replug till you find what piece of kit is causing it.

~Pev

spiderprod

Post by spiderprod » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:40 pm

pev wrote:
spiderprod wrote:not normal ,
Er, no. If you've got earthing issues sort them out properly. Lifting the earth to non-isolated equipment is a recipe for electrocution and electrocution will kill you. Dont Do It..

On a positive note towards resolution break are you talking about physical noise or electrical noise? If physical noise it's probably the power supply. If electrical noise unplug everything apart from the mains supply to the 828 and listen using headphones or anything not mains driven. Listen for lack of noise and then replug till you find what piece of kit is causing it.

~Pev
taking out the earth from my pc sorted out a lot of problems for me, as for electrocution ,everything is fused & if the fuse doesn't blow there is always the breakers to save your arse .i am not suggesting a permanent solution but at least he will find the source of the problem .
the mk2 does make a lot of noise if the pc is earthed the normal way .

mdk

Post by mdk » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:08 pm

mine is always quiet no matter what its plugged into earth or no earth.