BBE Sonic Maximizer

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djconrad

BBE Sonic Maximizer

Post by djconrad » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:56 pm

My most favourite plug in the BBE sonic maximizer won't work with my new intel iMac.
Despite emails to BBE sound no-one there seems to be bothered to reply at all, never mind give me any idea if there is a universal binary version planned. It seems BBE is one of those companies that makes you wonder why you bothered buying a legit copy in the first place, as at the moment it feels like money down the drain. I understand these things are complicated and take time as I'm still waiting for intel versions of PSP Vintage warmer and the g-media Oddity synth, but at least those companies have a section on their sites informing that development is underway.

Does anyone have any tips on similar plug ins to the BBE or methods to achieve the same effect?

Many thanks, Conrad

P.S. sorry for the rant :(

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:14 am

fyi Live 6 has major issues when loading a project that uses more than one instance of BBE. It's been mentioned throughout the beta test for 6 and was never resolved.

spiderprod

Post by spiderprod » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:28 am

waves maxbass or waves rbass does the trick for the low contour, i use them for mastering & get better results ,
i haven't found anything that process the top end of the signal .
try to use it with the ffx4 directx to vst converter .

ashley_k

Post by ashley_k » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:34 am

What about isotope’s now universal binary Ozone 3 this has a Multiband Harmonic Exciter section,
which I think works in a similar way to how the BBE Sonic Maximizer works.
It has analog modeling to add warmth, so it may well have some of the characteristics of PSP’s Vintage Warmer.
http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/

Ozone 3 - Multiband Harmonic Exciter section
Up to 4 bands of harmonic excitation switch between analog modeled or digital crossover filters controls for amount, mix and delay
http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/o ... citer.html

djconrad

Post by djconrad » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:08 am

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Definitely going to demo ozone.
I don't suppose anyone is in the same position with sonic maximizer and has heard any news about any possible universal binary version?

Cheers again

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:22 am

I'm definitely no expert, but I think Ozone's exciter sounds a little harsh on the highs compared to BBE. BBE sounds much smoother allover.

This might definitely be me not knowing Ozone well enough.

pisquano

Post by pisquano » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:20 am

ashley_k wrote:What about isotope’s now universal binary Ozone 3 this has a Multiband Harmonic Exciter section,
which I think works in a similar way to how the BBE Sonic Maximizer works.
It has analog modeling to add warmth, so it may well have some of the characteristics of PSP’s Vintage Warmer.
http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/

Ozone 3 - Multiband Harmonic Exciter section
Up to 4 bands of harmonic excitation switch between analog modeled or digital crossover filters controls for amount, mix and delay
http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/o ... citer.html
I have Ozone 3! it rocks!!!! go for it!

freshdrumma

Post by freshdrumma » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:48 am

you can always buy the hardware version if you miss it, i have 2 of them, do you like to have one?

djconrad

Post by djconrad » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:51 pm

freshdrumma, which models are they?