How to save a mapping for VST synth ?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:04 pm

3Dot - that's CLEVER, dude. I like it.

Has anyone said 'Nocturn' or 'Automap' yet? I love the features on that beast... I've re-created new automaps for a variet of my NI plugs that work really well.
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:41 pm

logic_user99 wrote:3Dot - that's CLEVER, dude. I like it.

Has anyone said 'Nocturn' or 'Automap' yet? I love the features on that beast... I've re-created new automaps for a variet of my NI plugs that work really well.
thanks man...
it took some time to think out the layout...build the presets... and map it all
this setup also incorporates 1 BCR to work as 4 'virtual' user automapped (live's automap) control surfaces...
meaning I can 'lock' 4 devices to the BCR...
plus... mackie emulation...for mixer controls..
plus...most of the keyboard shortcuts using bomes
I can pretty much do everything live permits using the BCR...
(except loop select...)

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:10 pm

3dot... wrote: thanks man...
this setup also incorporates 1 BCR to work as 4 'virtual' user automapped (live's automap) control surfaces...
(except loop select...)
Question! You say you 'lock' four devices to you BCR? How do you switch between them? I still don't really understand all of that Mackie Control nonsense...

If you drag pre-MIDI mapped channels into your current set, how do you switch control over to them rather than controlling your existing stuff? Confurzed...
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

Gtrance

Post by Gtrance » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:20 pm

Don't know if this helps anyone or not but here's my 2 penneth,

I have a UC33e midi controller. Recently I spent some time changing each midi cc number on the controller to match the cc numbers on my most used vsts.

For example, preset 1 of my controller is setup to control all the key parameters for v-station.

Preset 2 controls all the key parameters of Minimonsta.

I have this done for a few other vsts as well.

This means that whenever I drop a V-station into a set, I arm the track, select preset 1 on my controller and away i go. I can drop as many v-stations as I like, all I do is arm the track for thst v-station and now I control that one.

I might then drop a minimonsta into the set. I arm that track, select preset 2 on the controller and now I control minimonsta.

I've labelled all the knobs and faders up on my controller so I know what each knob/fader is assigned to. I also made sure that for example, the knob labelled "filter cutoff" controls the filter cutoff of whatever synth I have selected. This way as I switch control from one vst to another, the knobs on my controller stay the same. Easier to manage that way.

I must point out that doing it this way, I can't control one parameter of one vst and at the same time control the parameter of another vst as I need to arm the track and select the appropriate preset. So for live control of multiple synths simultaneously, this may not be the best method. But for production, it works great.

All the cc data is stored in the controller so it will always work when new sets are opened. No need to save anything in Live.

Hope this all made sense. Apologies if

a)this is all obvious shit that you all know

b)has nothing to do with what you are actually talking about

You are welcome :D

Geezus

Post by Geezus » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:23 pm

This is why people like me own novation nocturns and remote SLs

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:02 am

logic_user99 wrote:
3dot... wrote: thanks man...
(except loop select...)
Question! You say you 'lock' four devices to you BCR? How do you switch between them? I still don't really understand all of that Mackie Control nonsense...

If you drag pre-MIDI mapped channels into your current set, how do you switch control over to them rather than controlling your existing stuff? Confurzed...
ok.. so live has 2 'flavors' of midi remote control...
1. is the usual one accessed by hitting ctrl-m..or the 'midi' button right?
the controller can be enabled in the lower half of the prefs.
by enabling 'remote' on the desired input port...
this mode saves the midi mapping along with the set...

2. live has native support for many controllers... it's live's own 'automap'..
these can be enabled in the upper half of the prefs.
the thing is... you can create your own User script by editing a simple text file...
in this way you add a custom controller to the dropdown menu...
live supports up to 6 of these...
they allow you to grab a device's/rack's pre-mapped controls
it also allows you to 'lock' each of these controllers to a device...
so you can lock 6 devices to 6 'controllers'...
you can make it seem like those 6 'virtual' controllers are only coming
from 1 physical controller (ex:BCR2000)
this type of control is viable in any set... without saving mappings etc.

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:13 am

mackie cntrol emulation offers you pre mapped control over live...
some (like using a jog-wheel in arrangement) cannot be done using live's other midi setups
it's also handy as you dont need to map the mixer controls time and time again...
it's pretty well laid out...
you can program your controller to send these messages...
and make live thing it's coming from a mackie ...
by choosing it from the dropdown...

http://home.comcast.net/~robbowers11/MCMap.htm

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:23 am

as alway, 3dot, you are a veritable minefield of information!

Legend. Will have a look at the controller-mapping stuff and see if I can make a bit more of the ol' MPD24.
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

Newecho

Re: How to save a mapping for VST synth ?

Post by Newecho » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:28 pm

pmestrez wrote:Hello,

Actually, each time I need to control a VST synth, I re-create the mapping for my midi controller.

Is it possible to save this mapping inside Live as a mapping preset for a specific VST synth?

I would like to be able to open these mapping on a track where I have a VST synth.

Regards,

Pierre.
Some VST's have the ability to remember MIDI mapping without tying to project settings.

Camel Audio's Alchemy will remember the controller settings. Load a new project and it will still map.

Rob Pappen's predator can save maps in an "ECS" file. Save your settings to the default map "Predator.ecs", then every time you load it your mappings will work.

I'm doing this with a korg nanoKontrol and it's working great. I'm liking it so much I might do this instead of using Automap with my Remote SL.

This sort of VST based functionality is influencing which VSTs I use the most as well. In other words, great sound from VST is a minimum requirement and user interface and features like Midi mapping are differentiators.
http://www.markmoshermusic.com

Live 8 Suite;HP DV6; Novation Remote SL, Launchpad, Tenori-On White, AudioCubes, Moog Etherwave Theremin;Alchemy,Sylenth1,Absynth,ACE,Synplant,Harmles,Gladiator 2,Dimension Pro...

condra

Post by condra » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:13 am

I fully endorse this thread and think we all need to rally and get this shit sorted.

nuxnamon

Re:

Post by nuxnamon » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:45 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
guerillabass wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:drop it in a rack, assign macros, save the rack.

there are no presets for plug in assignments. you can only save midi assignments on a project level, not on a VST level. IOW no you can't load up a plug in and also load up a preset of assignments.
Thanks for the rack advice
cool. but you'll go back to being pissed off when you realize that there are only 8 macro assignments. even then you're limited to an arbitrary 128 plug in parameters to control.

Live needs work in this area.
regardless, it's still 8 macro assignments that i never really knew about cuz i never really got into racks.. Thanks TD.. this just made my saturday..

Sibanger

Re: Re:

Post by Sibanger » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:28 pm

nuxnamon wrote:
Tone Deft wrote: cool. but you'll go back to being pissed off when you realize that there are only 8 macro assignments. even then you're limited to an arbitrary 128 plug in parameters to control.

Live needs work in this area.
regardless, it's still 8 macro assignments that i never really knew about cuz i never really got into racks.. Thanks TD.. this just made my saturday..
16 Macros now with M4L :) Thanks hoffman !

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sun May 01, 2011 10:21 pm

pmestrez wrote:Hello,

Actually, each time I need to control a VST synth, I re-create the mapping for my midi controller.

Is it possible to save this mapping inside Live as a mapping preset for a specific VST synth?

I would like to be able to open these mapping on a track where I have a VST synth.

Regards,

Pierre.
I feel like people might be talking about different things in this thread. It isn't really clear from the original post how he is mapping the VST synths. There are many ways to save hardware assignments depending on how you want to do it.
-If you are using your VSTs own midi learn capabilities, then yes you can save the mapping within the instrument. Then any time you have that midi enabled, then your midi assignments will control it. This will work any time you load up the VST. Live does not control that.
-If you are using Live's midi learn on the VST parameters (after you've configured parameters to show up), then unfortunately midi learn is global to the set and does not get saved between different sets and there's no way to do that.
-If you are using a device that is supported by instant mapping, then you just have to configure the parameters in the order you want them and then every time you select the device, you controller will control them. In order to save these assignments you must save it as a rack. I save all my VSTs as racks and usually unrack them when I load them (when you select the device directly, you get up to 128 parameters rather than just 8 that you get with a rack).
Professional Shark Jumper.

mattb

Post by mattb » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:57 pm

This really needs sorting. Its 3 years later and it still doesnt work, as far as we can see. and , this applies to to Lives own fx! you just cannot save the midi assigns outside the set. Its really odd that Ableton have not sorted this. And, btw, it looks as if the macro mapping doesnt work either. Save macros to midi ccs, saver the rack, load it back in, assigns gone. as my whole set up is round midi control of loads of plugins, both Lives and vsts, its killing me not to be able to use them flexibly. Come on guys!
xx
Matt

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:46 pm

Matt, check Instant Mapping in the manual. You don't need to midi map for the macro controls, they're automatically mapped by modifying the Midi Remote Script for your controller.
ImageImage