automation grayed out?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
m-laboratories.net

automation grayed out?

Post by m-laboratories.net » Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:55 pm

Suppose you automate track volume over a certain section of the arranger, and then you manually click the track volume and drag it up or down, changing it to a new value. Now all of your automation lines are a grayed-out color, and Live will not obey the automation. and the little red box that appears in the upper left hand corner of the track volume box is also gray.

How do you get Live to recognize the automation again and start obeying it?

If anyone knows, I would really appreciate it. I have never known how to fix this problem, but only now is it actually bothering me.

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:14 am

I think you just have to click the red "return to arrangement " button. When you tweak anything on the fly, you temporarily overide your settings.

mlabs

ahh!

Post by mlabs » Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:19 am

knew it was something simple. thanks....

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:35 am

does the "return to arrangement" work on a per track basis? or is it all or nothing? I only recall the red button at the top but could see how it would be very useful to have such a red button available to each track. Is there?

-scotty

Chariot Requiem

Re: automation grayed out?

Post by Chariot Requiem » Tue May 26, 2020 8:31 am

For Ableton 10:

Sometimes clicking the re-enable automation button - the red backwards arrow - does fix this. But if it doesn't then have a look at this page:

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... ighting-up

If that doesn't work, then go into Preferences > Record/Warp/Launch > Record Session automation in > "All Tracks"

By setting it to All Tracks, the automation envelopes will turn red again and you won't suffer from this problem anymore. 8)

xosphere

Re: automation grayed out?

Post by xosphere » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:43 am

Hi! I also had this problem and it was just that the A button was being read as a midi key since I had enabled the keyboard icon in the upper right and forgot about it. Once I turned it off the A begin to be the automation shortcut again. Silly mistake, hope it helps.