How Close is Ableton to Incorporating a Slicer into Live ???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tricil

Post by tricil » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:50 am

stale bread wrote: I'll never understand why people completely understand Recycle, dr.Rex, acids chopper, guru, intakt, phatmatik pro, amg one, MPCs and anything else in the world that has a slicer, most of the people own one of these too but still they won't give any creedance to ableton having slicing capabilities. :?
just as i'll never understand why you think live can't slice like they can.

what's wrong with cmd-E'ing your way thru a loop (defining your own slices is a ton better than guessing 'em) in arrangement, then dragging these new slices to the browser to be forever preserved?!

you can do this live if you make your slices on a cue track or muted track.
MacBook Pro T7600 / OS X 10.5.7 / Ableton Suite 8.0.2 / Peak Pro XT 6.1.1 / ReMOTE 37SL

carbonform

Post by carbonform » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:58 am

ya'll are choppin your beats the LONG way :P

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:56 am

tricil wrote:
stale bread wrote: I'll never understand why people completely understand Recycle, dr.Rex, acids chopper, guru, intakt, phatmatik pro, amg one, MPCs and anything else in the world that has a slicer, most of the people own one of these too but still they won't give any creedance to ableton having slicing capabilities. :?
just as i'll never understand why you think live can't slice like they can.

what's wrong with cmd-E'ing your way thru a loop (defining your own slices is a ton better than guessing 'em) in arrangement, then dragging these new slices to the browser to be forever preserved?!

you can do this live if you make your slices on a cue track or muted track.
nothing personal tricil but but i feel like will smith singing parents just don't understand... the way you describe, actualy the way everybody against live having a slicer does it is the way I do it right now, but thats not the point, what i'm asking for is smoother faster mo betta flo which is the whole point of a slicer. the work arounds like you describe and i do now can be done in any daw, I don't want to drop samples in the arrange view, cntrl E'em to death.. I'm a samplist. I'm also a guitarist/bassist/ify-drummer that is in a band, and we treat every thing we do as a sample. thats alot of cnrL-_E'ing man.
and I don't want to have to then callup or drag slices over to impulse or simpler.

what I want is for simpler or sampler or whatever device to be able to record, then slice however many I want, then be able to do diff things to the slices effect, radomize, whatever..send out seperate outputs, and also assign the slices to midi notes with different trigger options and be able to sequence those slices, mute whichever ones of them I want and so on.
imagine being able to do that with in a Live cell and still be able to apply the envelopes I'm just talking about creativity hear, it shoudn't be a hard sell to ableton Live of all applications.

this is what makes an mpc so great as well as fruitys slicer and the other apps that I mentioned above, which I have most of them but Live is my Last Luv.. damn you :( now i'm getting all misty eyed...
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:58 am

carbonform wrote:ya'll are choppin your beats the LONG way :P
how are you doin yours cf?
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

carbonform

Post by carbonform » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:13 am

Its very very easy...open an audio track and open a midi track (or just start a new project). put a Simpler into the midi track and drop your audio in it. Now route your audio track so that its recieving audio from the midi track your simpler is in (2-midi,3-midi etc.) then arm your audio track for record and your ready...move around the start/end markers in Simpler until you found the slice your looking for then record it to the audio so that each clip is a recorded slice. i like to go back thru the slices once im done recording all of them and turn off warp (i prefer to sample one-shots) and adjust the markers once more so that each one plays without a long pause afterward. you can even start a new audio track if you run out of room for clips on the first one. I also like the fact that each slice is a seperate clip for individual processing so i can just do whatever to it and save it to a folder. and there you have it...my version of lives slicer (and its all done in arrangement view which means you dont even have to tab over to session view once 8) ) what more could you ask for?

pucklermuskau

Post by pucklermuskau » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:37 pm

Its very very easy...open an audio track and open a midi track (or just start a new project). put a Simpler into the midi track and drop your audio in it. Now route your audio track so that its recieving audio from the midi track your simpler is in (2-midi,3-midi etc.) then arm your audio track for record and your ready...move around the start/end markers in Simpler until you found the slice your looking for then record it to the audio so that each clip is a recorded slice. i like to go back thru the slices once im done recording all of them and turn off warp (i prefer to sample one-shots) and adjust the markers once more so that each one plays without a long pause afterward. you can even start a new audio track if you run out of room for clips on the first one. I also like the fact that each slice is a seperate clip for individual processing so i can just do whatever to it and save it to a folder. and there you have it...my version of lives slicer (and its all done in arrangement view which means you dont even have to tab over to session view once Cool ) what more could you ask for?
i dont know man, that sounds like it works for you, but what i, and others, seem to be looking for is a more elegant solution that can be used in a live setting, preferably in session view. I want to be able to sample a 2-bar audio snippet (from a guitar riff, a vocal, etc.) and instantly be able to consistently hop, skip and rearrange it. Yes, phatmatik et alia do that for a live audio stream, but what im looking for is a more permanent solution, so that i can jam a set, then have a set of slices that i can directly save and reuse, without having to go back into the recorded session and redo the rearrangement. Its the little things that mean the difference between revolution and reiteration, if you diggit...

...lo.
i drop on the lokeymassive

tricil

Post by tricil » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:42 pm

pucklermuskau wrote:
Its very very easy...open an audio track and open a midi track (or just start a new project). put a Simpler into the midi track and drop your audio in it. Now route your audio track so that its recieving audio from the midi track your simpler is in (2-midi,3-midi etc.) then arm your audio track for record and your ready...move around the start/end markers in Simpler until you found the slice your looking for then record it to the audio so that each clip is a recorded slice. i like to go back thru the slices once im done recording all of them and turn off warp (i prefer to sample one-shots) and adjust the markers once more so that each one plays without a long pause afterward. you can even start a new audio track if you run out of room for clips on the first one. I also like the fact that each slice is a seperate clip for individual processing so i can just do whatever to it and save it to a folder. and there you have it...my version of lives slicer (and its all done in arrangement view which means you dont even have to tab over to session view once Cool ) what more could you ask for?
i dont know man, that sounds like it works for you, but what i, and others, seem to be looking for is a more elegant solution that can be used in a live setting, preferably in session view. I want to be able to sample a 2-bar audio snippet (from a guitar riff, a vocal, etc.) and instantly be able to consistently hop, skip and rearrange it. Yes, phatmatik et alia do that for a live audio stream, but what im looking for is a more permanent solution, so that i can jam a set, then have a set of slices that i can directly save and reuse, without having to go back into the recorded session and redo the rearrangement. Its the little things that mean the difference between revolution and reiteration, if you diggit...

...lo.
midi assign the "start" parameter of a loop to a controller and twist away... it's dirty but oh so fun.
MacBook Pro T7600 / OS X 10.5.7 / Ableton Suite 8.0.2 / Peak Pro XT 6.1.1 / ReMOTE 37SL

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:43 pm

Heh. Nevermind what i said.
I made an automatic phraze recorder in Live. But Live cant handle this kind of action.
And my current solution uses notes at 1/16384 for automating the record button as fast as possible. CC automation isn't an option either...

It's possible in theory...
But i think it's one of those things that'll need some tinkering in max msp...

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:56 pm

why dont you just use an existing slicer?

Enots

Post by Enots » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:40 pm

the control E solution works well...the only problem with it is that you lose the control of your elastic audio.. so if you changed the tempo you have to manually go in and edit samples in impulse.. if you're working with wave files and speed up the tempo and wish to change the pitch w/ the speed change then u have to manually punch in transpose adjustments in impulse to get the samples to match. The advantage of having mid mapable warp slices would be that it latches to the tempo
Christ Jesus is King
www.tonystonebeats.com

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:10 pm

Better slicing would be a workflow improvement like warping or CC automation. It could open up expressive possibilities and/or get fully realized inside an instrument too. The Monome cats understand advanced slicing--check their MLR application:

http://146.186.186.101/~bcrabtree/monome40h.mov
(MLR demo's at the end)

A slicing instrument could be designed for use with a padKONTROL or an FCB1010 more than a keyboard. It could contain Ableton's first sound-on-sound recorder with realtime slicing capability.

It would be insane, like when Ableton integrated MIDI, and anyone who doesn't think so hasn't really thought it through.

ikke

Post by ikke » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:24 pm

a scissors tool wouldnt hurt anybody....

Spiralgroove

Post by Spiralgroove » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:27 pm

ikke wrote:a scissors tool wouldnt hurt anybody....
it already does this, ctrl+e and alt to pick where to slice

ikke

Post by ikke » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:30 pm

Spiralgroove wrote:
ikke wrote:a scissors tool wouldnt hurt anybody....
it already does this, ctrl+e and alt to pick where to slice
it doesnt
you cant devide a sample by clicking it with the mouse which is very HANDY. you just cant

Spiralgroove

Post by Spiralgroove » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:32 pm

in one click? no i guess not...

yall are some lazy bastards i guess