How Close is Ableton to Incorporating a Slicer into Live ???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:15 am

Originally Sampler was supposed to support REX files.

Once this is implemented your problems will be solved.

This is not a 100% native slicer, but everyone has recycle right?
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

Spiralgroove

Post by Spiralgroove » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:16 am

if you have rex files then you probably have reason
just rewire it

zazamoth

Post by zazamoth » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:51 am

stale bread wrote:dunno Zazamoth, Rex would be cool as alot of folks use that format with guru, rmx, reason etc... so it would probably help keep alot of peoples sample libraries down in size, but I personaly think that with Lives warping technology and slicing that the rex format might not be all that important in my own case. Its at least something that they should take a look at i mean I don't see the reason for not implementing it if they can.

I hope the slicer does not come in the form of a slicer instrument though unless its for some good reason, my ideal design would be adding slicing features to the clips themselves right in the clipview, even being able to assign midi notes to the slices and re-sequence them right there in the clip properties of whatever sample your slicing. if they did that and also got that goofy way of cropping fixed i'd be done.
Dunno stale, if the Slicer handled Rex i would be over the moon!! Right now i am having to push every bit of power out of this Computer I can get ...So not having to Rewire to Reason..or boot up Intact would be great thing. some of my projects just couldn't handle a third party plug in this late in the game..LOL :wink:
/IEC2/Sonar 8/Reason4/Recycle/kompakt/Battery2/intakt/absynth/pro53/Motu symp/zt3a~ MA ozone~BCF2000

https://www.facebook.com/SeraphSin

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:22 pm

zazamoth wrote:
stale bread wrote:dunno Zazamoth, Rex would be cool as alot of folks use that format with guru, rmx, reason etc... so it would probably help keep alot of peoples sample libraries down in size, but I personaly think that with Lives warping technology and slicing that the rex format might not be all that important in my own case. Its at least something that they should take a look at i mean I don't see the reason for not implementing it if they can.

I hope the slicer does not come in the form of a slicer instrument though unless its for some good reason, my ideal design would be adding slicing features to the clips themselves right in the clipview, even being able to assign midi notes to the slices and re-sequence them right there in the clip properties of whatever sample your slicing. if they did that and also got that goofy way of cropping fixed i'd be done.
Dunno stale, if the Slicer handled Rex i would be over the moon!! Right now i am having to push every bit of power out of this Computer I can get ...So not having to Rewire to Reason..or boot up Intact would be great thing. some of my projects just couldn't handle a third party plug in this late in the game..LOL :wink:
hey I know what you mean.........bring on the rex format!!!

Fam listen pretty please, its not just the 'slicing' its the workflow, all of the workflow scenarios in Live come together as a seriously enhanced feature.
thats why we don't want dragging from session to arranger view, dragging from arranger view to impulse, using recycle offline which by the way doesn't slice mp3 files or other special formats, or reWire a whole nother application into Live,,... these things make the workflow worse, not better and thats just not the type of experience you want to have when you're in a serious sample/writing session. you don't want to lose the essence of the vibe your in, you want to chop chop chop, sequence and go... comeback and edit those slices.

peace
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:56 pm

I concur

I think sampler will support rex files, eventually. i will buy then

Adonis

Post by Adonis » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:30 pm

Yes Rex support for Sampler would definitely push me over the top with Sampler -

carbonform

Post by carbonform » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:17 pm

just rewire it
exactly...i dont get why everyone is so nuts about having it support REX...

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:37 pm

carbonform wrote:
just rewire it
well then, you just don't get it.

personally I don't have reason, so what is there not to get?

Adonis

Post by Adonis » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:03 pm

Rogue Scrunt wrote:
carbonform wrote:
just rewire it
well then, you just don't get it.

personally I don't have reason, so what is there not to get?
Exactly

I didn't hear to many people telling people to "Just use Logic" when they were asking for video support

some people don't understand or care

zazamoth

Post by zazamoth » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:46 pm

I've said it before and i'll say it again..If Live were to support Rex files, i doubt i would EVER shut Live down.. :wink:

and the Reason,(no pun), I want Live to handle Rex files, is so i don't have to open up Reason every single time i want to load and edit a rex file. Some of my projects, are pushing my computer to the limits as it is, with out having to Rewire Reason up to it as well!

that's why i would like to have Live handle Rex
/IEC2/Sonar 8/Reason4/Recycle/kompakt/Battery2/intakt/absynth/pro53/Motu symp/zt3a~ MA ozone~BCF2000

https://www.facebook.com/SeraphSin

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:14 am

workflow, not rewire.. workflow,,not dragging here and there...workflow...

don't you get workflow..??

sure you do.
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:44 pm

for now, i am using phatmatik pro and battery 3.

I'm loving battery 3, but it is resource hungry. My aging dual g4 is feeling the load. B3 supports rex files nicely.

reset

Post by reset » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:32 pm

stale bread wrote:
tricil wrote:same reason why many idm heads frown upon supatrigga and dblue glitch.

do your own fucking work.
you're kidding right :roll: , so using a transient detector is not doing your own fucking work. dude you sound like you got kicked in the nuts and stayed bent over for the rest of your life. look up dude.
why do you even have a computer, why even post, why not just write a real letter and send it to ableton and have them post it for you.

this topic is fuckin rediculous for 3 reasons.

1. ableton Live should of had a slicer in version 1.0
2.this thread is full of people who don't use slicers, how the fuck can you say we don't need one.
3. its starting to piss me off and deteriorate my cheery disposition.

Fuck you!
http://rclique.org
Little Phatty, MonoMachine, SH101/09, Xbase09, Micromodular, Moebius.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:47 pm

FEEEEL the LOOOVE!!!

In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:08 pm

Rogue Scrunt wrote:Originally Sampler was supposed to support REX files.

Once this is implemented your problems will be solved.

This is not a 100% native slicer, but everyone has recycle right?
No they don't. It is ridiculously expensive for what it does, and I refuse to have that half-assed piece of software on my computer... sorry.

Rex is a retarded format anyway - why on earth should my library have to double in size if I want to prep my loops for slicing?
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.