M-Audio X-Session Pro

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Hot or Not?

Hot!
32%
Not!
68%

Total votes: 31

joesapo

Post by joesapo » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:37 pm

MarkH wrote:
mbenigni wrote:Slightly smaller footprint, slightly less cheesy looking. Does anyone have the Evolution version (looks it's going to be phased out in favor of the "Pro") and if so, what do you think?
The Evolution X-Session is very decent. It's still plastic but it's the same width as a 15" laptop and "fits" nicely in a live setup.

I wonder if/when Danny MacMillan's Ableton controller will be available. If so, how much will this thing cost? :P

That thing looks so sweet....

I bought an X-Session Pro and returned it the next day.

I bought it as a compliment to my Remote SL Zero for DJing. Don't get me wrong - it actually may have it's uses - but for me it wasn't working out. No presets, too much plastic, somewhat flimsy feeling and way too large for the small amount of controls you actually get.

:?

JohnDP

Post by JohnDP » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:53 pm

M-Audio is going the right route, so if it steps up and provides something better then everything is ok. I personally don't know much about future controllers but let me sum up the little I know/heard of.

1. Danny Mc Millans Controller -> he posted an email address on his myspace account to request hi res pics and info of the controller. He never answered, still the unit is supposed to ship via Kenton and its apparently very interesting.

2. Ecler Nuo 6 (not real name) -> Ecler is coming up with a new improved Midi based mixer, when how and where are unknown variables at the time...

3. Chris Liebing announced a "new NI controller for Traktor" [might also be suitable for Ableton Live DJ's so don't get fooled by Traktor focus] without giving any reference but given that NI is German I guess something will surface at Musikmesse.

Actually I think Musikmesse this year will be very interesting for all digital DJ's because in my opinion there is were the greatest innovations can be made or where the lack of adequate equipment is most blatant*...

*what I mean by this is the bad supply level of the industry with regards to MIDI controllers. Take for instance the mixer market, you have those Numark, Behringer, Citronic for the entry levels but if you want serious stuff you can go up to things like a Xone V6 or else...Right now, even if you have the money, the only thing you can buy is a Xone3D, which is why i see a lack of supply given the demand levels...

mbenigni

Post by mbenigni » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:58 pm

way too large for the small amount of controls you actually get
Yeah, what is up with that? 2" tall - it looks like you could take it to a belt sander, shave half of it off, and lose no functionality.
Actually I think Musikmesse this year will be very interesting for all digital DJ's because in my opinion there is were the greatest innovations can be made or where the lack of adequate equipment is most blatant*...
Strongly agree, and I hope someone remembers the guitarists too, and offers up some decent bus-powered MIDI footcontrollers!

MacBookDJ

Post by MacBookDJ » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:20 am

mbenigni wrote:I went back and forth and back and forth and finally asked Santa for this one instead:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EVOXSESSION

Slightly smaller footprint, slightly less cheesy looking. Does anyone have the Evolution version (looks it's going to be phased out in favor of the "Pro") and if so, what do you think?
I own an X-Session and it's pretty solid. The cross-fader feels cheap, but I haven't had any problems with it. However, I have a big problem with the placement of the cross-fader... it's right above the knobs, making it awkward to use without hitting one (especially if it's dark and you need to move fast). I eventually started using the unit upside-down, with the cross-fader at the bottom, but getting used to using the knobs upside-down takes some time.

I was hoping the Pro version would be better.
MacBookDJ.com, obviously.
:o

Spiralgroove

Post by Spiralgroove » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:25 am

MacBookDJ wrote: getting used to using the knobs upside-down takes some time.

I was hoping the Pro version would be better.
reverse the values in your midi pane (live 6)

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:04 am

JohnDP wrote: 3. Chris Liebing announced a "new NI controller for Traktor" [might also be suitable for Ableton Live DJ's so don't get fooled by Traktor focus] without giving any reference but given that NI is German I guess something will surface at Musikmesse.
Links??

8O

lerky

Post by lerky » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:27 am

I'll say it again

NUO4

and the LV1

8O

Mike Goodwin

Post by Mike Goodwin » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:11 am

NU04 looks sweet.

JohnDP

Post by JohnDP » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:32 am

thelike5 wrote:
JohnDP wrote: 3. Chris Liebing announced a "new NI controller for Traktor" [might also be suitable for Ableton Live DJ's so don't get fooled by Traktor focus] without giving any reference but given that NI is German I guess something will surface at Musikmesse.
Links??

8O
it was a magazine article and he only talked about it in a short indirect hint type of way, so links are not available I guess, not even if you search the NI forums (which is strange IMO)

Patch

Post by Patch » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:53 am

My main gripe with the X-Session Pro" is that it is designed as a DJ mixer. And in this day and age you need more than that - those of us that have DJ'd for years and are moving over to Digital DJ'ing realise that the DJ Mixer layout is actually kind of limiting.

For this reason, I think it is odd that software/hardware developers are forcing newcomers to DJ'ing/Digital DJ'ing to think along the lines of using a DJ style mixer.

It seems like they are encouraging people to think "INSIDE of the box"...

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:51 pm

Patch wrote:My main gripe with the X-Session Pro" is that it is designed as a DJ mixer. And in this day and age you need more than that - those of us that have DJ'd for years and are moving over to Digital DJ'ing realise that the DJ Mixer layout is actually kind of limiting.

For this reason, I think it is odd that software/hardware developers are forcing newcomers to DJ'ing/Digital DJ'ing to think along the lines of using a DJ style mixer.

It seems like they are encouraging people to think "INSIDE of the box"...
YES YES YES YES, couldn't agree more. The best DJ controller for Live is not going to look like a DJ mixer. If you want something that's laid out like a DJ mixer, then just use a DJ mixer :)

mbenigni

Post by mbenigni » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:38 pm

That LV1 does look sweet - I might have gone that route if I knew about it. Is the street price $300?

mbenigni

Post by mbenigni » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:31 pm

Got mine last night and had to comment on:
The Evolution X-Session is very decent. It's still plastic but it's the same width as a 15" laptop and "fits" nicely in a live setup.
The "fit" with a 15" laptop seems so sensible and might be meaningful if all the cables didn't stick straight out the back. That's... um... where the laptop is. What are these designers thinking? Grumble.

robin

Post by robin » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:06 pm

mbenigni wrote:Got mine last night and had to comment on:
The "fit" with a 15" laptop seems so sensible and might be meaningful if all the cables didn't stick straight out the back. That's... um... where the laptop is. What are these designers thinking? Grumble.
They're thinking, what's the cheapest way I can knock this out? Then they're thinking of the features.

mbenigni

Post by mbenigni » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:07 pm

yep.