[youtube]Step sequencing with the Lemur!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:19 pm

b0unce wrote:downloading...

I guess your schaltwerk has already started to gather dust, Machinate ?
Even more so; I already sold it!
Since it went out of production the market is pretty starved for Schaltwerks, so it sold in under a day after I announced it for sale. Funny, a month ago I never thought I would get rid of it.

I frigging LOVe this new way of interfacing!I am already working on a new drum rig which will also have a real-time slicer in it. I saw a Lemur-controlled max slicer at MusikMesse this year, and it just looked so cool!
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

stjohn

Post by stjohn » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:35 pm

looks cool man... how much does these things retail at?

Spiralgroove

Post by Spiralgroove » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:36 pm

2500 usd innit?

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:37 pm

NICE! I want it. I'm ready and inspired to get busy on some music, but I don't have one, so now I don't want to make any music at all.... :mrgreen:

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:50 pm

Machinate wrote: Even more so; I already sold it!
Since it went out of production the market is pretty starved for Schaltwerks, so it sold in under a day after I announced it for sale. Funny, a month ago I never thought I would get rid of it.

I frigging LOVe this new way of interfacing!I am already working on a new drum rig which will also have a real-time slicer in it. I saw a Lemur-controlled max slicer at MusikMesse this year, and it just looked so cool!
nice one, and the killer is you can have pages and pages of sequencers, mackie emulation for daw control, and instrument/fx control spread out over your entire soft/hardware studio.

are you gonna gig with your lemur ?
spreader of butter

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:56 pm

b0unce wrote:are you gonna gig with your lemur ?
Oh fuck yeah! It's such a cool environment, and as you say, I can do pages and pages of shit with it that wouldn't be possible otherwise!

MaxMSP (and other OSC-ready software) can be used to automatically switch interfaces on the Lemur, so when the big break-down comes up it could automatically switch to the Big Filter Fader and Delay Cruncher controls, making performance an interactive, yet easy experience.
- Actually, my brain is almost melting at the thought of what to do with it in a live situation. It might be more appropriate to think of what NOT to do...

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:59 pm

-By the way, there is another step sequencer in this rig - this time one made for synth lines. I hope to demo this one some time during the holidays, after I'm done cloning it.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:06 pm

Machinate wrote:
Oh fuck yeah! It's such a cool environment, and as you say, I can do pages and pages of shit with it that wouldn't be possible otherwise!

MaxMSP (and other OSC-ready software) can be used to automatically switch interfaces on the Lemur, so when the big break-down comes up it could automatically switch to the Big Filter Fader and Delay Cruncher controls, making performance an interactive, yet easy experience.
- Actually, my brain is almost melting at the thought of what to do with it in a live situation. It might be more appropriate to think of what NOT to do...
oh ya - totally cool & useful - especially having it present you with the appropriate menu - thats really nifty, but I was thinking more about build quality and road-worthiness. I guess its not a problem or you'd have mentioned
spreader of butter

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:08 pm

Machinate wrote:

Well thats just it. It's the flow, ease of use and the huge immediate palatte. Wow, i really have to look at buying into it.

someday

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:13 pm

b0unce wrote:
Machinate wrote:

oh ya - totally cool & useful - especially having it present you with the appropriate menu - thats really nifty, but I was thinking more about build quality and road-worthiness. I guess its not a problem or you'd have mentioned
Let's put it this way: Last friday in Berlin I saw Markus from JazzMutant fuckin' BANG his fist into the display without as much as a glitch - the screen sort of did that "white-out" effect you get when you put your finger on a laptop display, and that's about it. Display is rubber-sealed, and the unit itself is solid metal with a thick coat of paint.

I still keep it in a 15.4" laptop sleeve, but that's just to prevent scratches, hehe.

Poster

Post by Poster » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:23 pm

that unit of yours really kickzass.. :twisted:

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:25 pm

Just wait until you hear it with some AE-type shit playing, morphing envelopes, changing sequencer algorithms smoothly, and tweaking 5 different effects with 10 different parameters at the same time.... wooohoo!

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:34 pm

your killing me

bradelectro

Post by bradelectro » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:15 pm

Yes yes, a step into the future= awesome! Finally we see software acting like software and not trying to emulate hardware so much (no virtual rack screws and virtual tiny LCD displays heh). Or maybe it's just a really good fusion between s/w and h/w. Anyway, nicely done and good track too!

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:52 pm

bonomius wrote:this gives a lot of sequencing fun (more than working with the interface of my p3), but i need to have and learn max/msp or there are readymade patches like yours?
Actually, reading this again:

I was at the P3 booth at MusikMesse, and from the looks of it the p3 is a lot deeper than my simple drum sequencer! I was quite blown away from the control complexity of it... Sure, you could also build such a mad machine in max, and you could introduce all sorts of algorithmic doodads, but the amount of effort that has gone into making the p3 what it is makes it really unique.

I can't wait to see the p4!