Hip-hop will take live to the next level.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
BEATMAKER 2000

Hip-hop will take live to the next level.

Post by BEATMAKER 2000 » Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:30 am

Anybody using live for hip-hop,I know alot of people in the U.S. are sleeping on live 8)

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:48 pm

another pointless post brought to you by noSTYLZ

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:00 pm

This actually raises a number of interesting topics in an evolution of music sense. It inherently presents a myriad of harmonic conundrums. If ahyone can be arsed that is.

Things such as WHAT is the next level of hip-hop? Many may speculate that a five-year old with a Speak & Spell is an evoltion from hip-hop.

IS hop-hop a valid 'musical' expression or just a modern 'blues' by people that can't be bothered to pick cotton or learn an instrument?

DO a group of 4 year-olds in a kindergarten banging plastick buckets constitute more creativity than someone nodding their head whilst wearing a baseball-cap in rythym to an electronic beatbox groove overlaid with a few "Ah yeah's" and "wasn't me's"?

IS hip-hop to Dr Seuss what gangsta rap is to The Muppets?

Next level as a postulation presumes an evolution from a current state but what was the level being evolved from as a basis? Nursery rhymes? Limericks?? Blues without the slavery???

A cornucopia of musical riddles all within one simple (simplistic?) question.

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:16 pm

Aw... As much as I despise "clip-art" I listen to Dr. Dre's stuff and go wow, he's one hell of a producer.

I think music is such a vast thing it leaves room for anybody to be creative... Some of it is cotton-picking... some of it is letting loose.

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:15 pm

Anonymous wrote:Aw... As much as I despise "clip-art" I listen to Dr. Dre's stuff and go wow, he's one hell of a producer.

I think music is such a vast thing it leaves room for anybody to be creative... Some of it is cotton-picking... some of it is letting loose.
dre is good, but bling and gansta is so played out. BORING. and 50 cent is done!

white boy hip hop is the next phase

look at def jux, el-p, prefuse 73, r2dj, sole, aesop rock, sage francis, non-prophets.

although mf doom is having a blowout year!

Post by guest » Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:09 pm

:roll: stop suckin Hitlers dick

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:17 am

guest wrote::roll: stop suckin Hitlers dick
huh?

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:20 am

Anonymous wrote:
guest wrote::roll: stop suckin Hitlers dick
huh?
the next phase

white boy droppin' science!

http://www.mchawking.com/

Rahlo

Re: Hip-hop will take live to the next level.

Post by Rahlo » Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:46 am

BEATMAKER 2000 wrote:Anybody using live for hip-hop,I know alot of people in the U.S. are sleeping on live 8)
yeah. My dj and me are using live and reason in our production now, instead of digital performer/battery/stylus/kontakt. It's perfect for how we work.

Our new album will be done in about 3 weeks, and Live has played a major role in that. More cats in the US are using Live than you think. I know a lot of cats who're using it now as their sole means of making beats.
peace,

rahlo
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rahlo.com

MacBook Pro, Live 8, Reason 4, Akai MPD 32, Akai MPK 49, Akai APC 40, Metric Halo ULN-2 expanded, Apogee Duet.

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:52 am

Anonymous wrote:This actually raises a number of interesting topics in an evolution of music sense. It inherently presents a myriad of harmonic conundrums. If ahyone can be arsed that is.

Things such as WHAT is the next level of hip-hop? Many may speculate that a five-year old with a Speak & Spell is an evoltion from hip-hop.

IS hop-hop a valid 'musical' expression or just a modern 'blues' by people that can't be bothered to pick cotton or learn an instrument?

DO a group of 4 year-olds in a kindergarten banging plastick buckets constitute more creativity than someone nodding their head whilst wearing a baseball-cap in rythym to an electronic beatbox groove overlaid with a few "Ah yeah's" and "wasn't me's"?

IS hip-hop to Dr Seuss what gangsta rap is to The Muppets?

Next level as a postulation presumes an evolution from a current state but what was the level being evolved from as a basis? Nursery rhymes? Limericks?? Blues without the slavery???

A cornucopia of musical riddles all within one simple (simplistic?) question.

You must be a jealous, gay bitch!

nosuch

next level :-)

Post by nosuch » Wed Nov 26, 2003 5:48 pm

I simply love that "taking it to the next level" stuff!

And I miss DJ WYLDESTYLE!

Hi rahlo,

how are you doing? how's the baby. thing's are fine in cologne...

cu
...just trying to figure out how to make my computer sing....

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Thu Nov 27, 2003 5:20 pm

I've been using Live for Hip-Hop since 1.0 and it's replaced a lot of hardware and time. Only problem is that this whole "elastic audio" thing has taken so many restrictions away. No more adjusting my tempo to fit that awesome sample, or struggling with timestretching on hardware. Part of the fundamental sound of hip-hop production is that cut and paste sound and the DYI/work with what you got mentality. Live is making me lazy ;) Seriously though, there is a lot of really insane stuff going on here in the U.S. Antipop Consortium (R.I.P.), J-Zone, RjD2, and Prefuse '73 are all just pushing the limits. Live definitely opens up so many doors that were locked in the past by hardware limitations.

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 28, 2003 4:44 am

tjwett wrote:I've been using Live for Hip-Hop since 1.0 and it's replaced a lot of hardware and time. Only problem is that this whole "elastic audio" thing has taken so many restrictions away. No more adjusting my tempo to fit that awesome sample, or struggling with timestretching on hardware. Part of the fundamental sound of hip-hop production is that cut and paste sound and the DYI/work with what you got mentality. Live is making me lazy ;) Seriously though, there is a lot of really insane stuff going on here in the U.S. Antipop Consortium (R.I.P.), J-Zone, RjD2, and Prefuse '73 are all just pushing the limits. Live definitely opens up so many doors that were locked in the past by hardware limitations.
I think most of those guys use MPCs, though. The hip-hop cats aren't too heaviliy into software unless it's ProTools (ugh).

proteron

pro this pro that

Post by proteron » Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:44 pm

Anonymous wrote: I think most of those guys use MPCs, though. The hip-hop cats aren't too heaviliy into software unless it's ProTools (ugh).
Maybe they should release a special version called ProLive or LivePro and charge about 2k$ for it. Then ableton can get some more cash, and those folk concerned with things that are getting more dead every day but still are called PRO can have another PRO tool ! :)

but on the other hand, they do have the protools version of live. so maybe they can be introduced to the flexibility of the live platform via their old platform...
--
chris (proteron)

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:14 am

Anonymous wrote: I think most of those guys use MPCs, though. The hip-hop cats aren't too heaviliy into software unless it's ProTools (ugh).
very true. it's a damn shame too because i really try to get my peers psyched on using Live. some really like it and are curious but most just stick with the MPC. i'll show em something like how easy it is to do timestretching and they get pretty excited about that. i guess it's just a comfort thing though and they stick with the hardware. one dude i know however sold his MPC and bought Live, Reason, and the Akai MPD16 pads.