Please Help me with a Quantize Q.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tallisman

Please Help me with a Quantize Q.

Post by Tallisman » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:17 am

Hi folks... i need a "ittle "leg-up" here! I seem to remember doing this many times, but I am not sure if I was using this wonderful host or another. I have searched this forum for answers, and a search in the Live manual produces 95 hits... I think I have read them all, but at this hour and rushing as I am, I could have easily missed it.

I have imported some midi data from Stylus RMX to Live (it now drives the plugin, and has a realy nice feel to the groove.

I am now programing som Kicks and Snares to supplememt the RMX part.
What I would like to do is create a quantize or groove template from the RMX Clip and use that as my quantise value for the programed bits... to lock them together without the pain of moving each hit individually.

I do not want to quantise all the midi data to, say 16s; I dig the feel of the RMX groove.

Please tell me I can do this: select a midi clip; extract the groove to a quantise template; apply that template to another midi clip.

thanks for your help,

-Tallisman

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:58 am

if you could record the RMX part as audio in the Arrangement, then you could set that clip as the warp master and set markers in it as needed to pull everything else into that groove.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:59 am

but then maybe you would have to actually quantize the RMX midi track to get it to play as it was before. ouch, that hurt my brain

Tallisman

Post by Tallisman » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:17 am

the workaround I used... a glitch in Live workflow, or perhaps my feeble understanding of this great app:

I exported all the midi clips.
imported them to cubase sx
used the part to groove feature to capture the groove in a midi quantise template.
quantized the parts I needed fixed
exported the midi file from cubase
draged the new midi file into Live
and voila.

thanks for the advice.
-t