multiple output vsti

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
spherop

multiple output vsti

Post by spherop » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:02 pm

sorry if this is obvious - but after looking in manual - not finding how to setup a vsti to have its multiple outputs routed to separate tracks for independent mix/processing.

in this case i am using stylus rmx.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:25 pm

1. New Live set
2. Insert 1 midi track and 1 audio track
3. Drop your VSTi into the Midi track and name the track Stylus
4. In the Audio track, in the routing section, for the INPUT drop-down, select the Stylus. In the INPUT sub-drop-down (just below the INPUT drop-down) you will now see all the outputs of Stylus (or the multiple outputs of any other multi-output VSTi).
5. For the Audio track, select monitoring to ON (this is the button to the left of AUTO, and by doing this, it turns the track number to an Orange color.

Now your output of Stylus that you select in that sub-drop-down will play through the audio track. Set up as many of these additional audio channels as you need.

spherop

Post by spherop » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:06 pm

nebulae wrote:1. New Live set
2. Insert 1 midi track and 1 audio track
3. Drop your VSTi into the Midi track and name the track Stylus
4. In the Audio track, in the routing section, for the INPUT drop-down, select the Stylus. In the INPUT sub-drop-down (just below the INPUT drop-down) you will now see all the outputs of Stylus (or the multiple outputs of any other multi-output VSTi).
5. For the Audio track, select monitoring to ON (this is the button to the left of AUTO, and by doing this, it turns the track number to an Orange color.

Now your output of Stylus that you select in that sub-drop-down will play through the audio track. Set up as many of these additional audio channels as you need.
thank you - i will try this.

just to be sure ...this will allow me to set up different track setting for each stylus output? ie., sends, insert chains etc.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:24 pm

Yup, each new track can have its own track inserts and other additional routings. You're basically creating new audio streams and tell the stream where the input sound ought to come from. What you do with that stream is up to you.

Have fun.

ARDJ

Post by ARDJ » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:32 pm

i feel like we answer this question every week. we should sticky one of these.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:33 pm

Well, the cool thing is that we have more and more newbies, which is great for Live :)

spherop

Post by spherop » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:03 pm

great - thanks so much - i have it working now and i get it.

i think it's a good idea to sticky this one.

while i am new to live - i have quite a lot of experience with other daws and
i find the manual well written but not always thorough enough with applied examples.

and yes indeed - great to be here - was waiting for 6 as i believe now live works for me better than any other daw for producing tracks.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:31 pm

Glad it worked, and welcome to the collective. We're way cooler than the Cubase kids :)

spherop

Post by spherop » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:54 pm

believe me ...this place is a breath of fresh air.

the software has really come a long way since i used it last. it is the product of people who really know how to design software artfully.

jb61264

Post by jb61264 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:57 pm

There is a great tutorial about this very topic about this very topic on the Spectrasonics support pages for RMX...you have to be a registered user and login to their support site. It's well worth the time viewing in addition to the excellent advice given in this thread.
3.2 GHz Windows XP, Live 7, Reason 4, FL Studio 7, Stylus RMX, Sytrus, Toxic III, Novation X-Station 49, Akai MPD24, EMu XK6, Roland MC-303, Gemini BPM5000 Mixer, MBox