Waves SSL 4000 plugins VS Focusrite Liquid Mix

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live

which of the two would you buy?

Waves SSL 4000 SSL plugins.
13
50%
Focusrite Liquid Mix(with some SSL emulation)
13
50%
 
Total votes: 26

mercyplease
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:22 am
Location: Sent back to hell

Post by mercyplease » Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:54 pm

roach808 wrote:its not an ssl comp, but its pretty badass if ur not looking to drop a ton of money on some good hardware-based compression.

http://www.mercenary.com/realniccom.html

Hmmm your a bit of an dull boy roach Your suggesting the RNP as a contender over the SSL plugins. The RNP is without any doubt the most over rated pile of pish compressor ever t hit the market. The only reason that thing has some sort of a name is due to Fletchers endorsement. It is truly a very boooooring compressor. Perhaps thats why your so in to it. The original behringer composer blows that thing away and its got character.
Again the dull boys on this forum piss me off with their inane ramblings and made up shite.
im outta here again

:twisted: :twisted:
HA HA HA :twisted:

mercyplease
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:22 am
Location: Sent back to hell

Post by mercyplease » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:02 pm

in regrads the original posters question I have no experience with the liquid thing but I do have with waves SSL plugs. 9/10 is what I would give them a ten being reserved only for the real thing. Put it this way in a blind test you wouldnt be able to tell the difference between the real deal and the plugins. They are so close the only area you would notice is the sound of the console. That means the sound of the console with eq bypassed. But since you will never come close to ever owning a G or E series it makes no difference to you.
HA HA HA :twisted:

Contra
Posts: 1263
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:59 am
Location: Miami,FL. USA
Contact:

Post by Contra » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:44 pm

what kind of man has the name Mercy?

;)

we love u too.

yo but thanks for clearing up the RNP thing, all jokes aside, yea this thread was a bit boring should have been an instant messenger convo instead, oh well bored you and others to death, too late my sons. 8O

replicant6
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:40 am

mixes

Post by replicant6 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:45 pm

okay so if you would like to hear 2 mixes that I did then here goes. You need iTunes or quicktime to listen. MP3s sound like crap... that's why.

idisk.mac.com/daniel.pope-Public


The regular version uses the liquid mix with a variety of models... mostly SSL E series EQ and FX G384 compressor, although I used the VT-737 EQ on the bass. On the other hand, the SSL mix is all Waves SSL Channel plugins. Bear in mind that these are quite different mixes with different settings, and the Liquid mix is far more developed. BUT it should give you an idea of the character and results you can get from each.

My new conclusion is that the Liquid SSL does not sound at all like the Waves. It just does not have that glue factor. If I just wanted SSL sound I'd go Waves. BUT I am going to go Liquid because it offers so much more. The LA-2A is incredible as are most of the other emulations. I'd like to see the SSL emulations updated to sound more like the Waves ones though.

Hope that helps, and let me know what you think of the mixes!


R6

FrankH
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2002 9:38 pm
Location: Zeist, The Netherlands

Re: mixes

Post by FrankH » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:32 pm

replicant6 wrote:...
BUT it should give you an idea of the character and results you can get from each.

...

Hope that helps, and let me know what you think of the mixes!
Thanks!

Your Waves SSL version sounds dark, tight, has a lot of punch, tucked up with a nice warm blanket. The Liquid Mix version is open, sharp, has more aggression, shows the real world. I can't realy tell which mix has more transparency, i feel like two definitions of the concept "transparant".

The character of the sound has to do with taste. Both are good.

The vocals sound very good by the way. I like this very much, please keep me posted on album releases etc.

Cheers.
Live 6.0.3 Win XP sp2, P4 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, UXGA video, RME Multiface (1), Nord Lead 3, Korg X5D, TR-Rack, ER-1, Roland Juno 106, JV-2080, Elektron Machinedrum-UW, SidStation, SPL Charisma, Soundtracs CP6800 (40/12/24), Genelec 1030A, Furutech TP80, etc.

roach808
Posts: 683
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:25 am
Location: Tampa Bay, Fl
Contact:

Post by roach808 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:25 am

mercyplease wrote:
roach808 wrote:its not an ssl comp, but its pretty badass if ur not looking to drop a ton of money on some good hardware-based compression.

http://www.mercenary.com/realniccom.html

Hmmm your a bit of an dull boy roach Your suggesting the RNP as a contender over the SSL plugins. The RNP is without any doubt the most over rated pile of pish compressor ever t hit the market. The only reason that thing has some sort of a name is due to Fletchers endorsement. It is truly a very boooooring compressor. Perhaps thats why your so in to it. The original behringer composer blows that thing away and its got character.
Again the dull boys on this forum piss me off with their inane ramblings and made up shite.
im outta here again

:twisted: :twisted:
my sweet little darling mercy, with ur pretty lips and ur snazzy britches. I'm glad to see your as literate as a 5yearold. I said nothing of the sorts of the RNC compressor being anything remotely close to an SSL compressor. Its like comparing a deadhooker to a housewife. Its in the ballpark but its two diffent beasts. Its an excellent piece of kit if ur on a budget and u want some decent compression. But hey what do u know bout compression? I guess I'll go back to being all boring with my Emperial Labs Fatso, and my stereo pair of Avalon VT-737s....and my beautiful RNC compressor.

I agree with you tho, about this thread being a total pile of shite. Hence the reason I tried to cut it off back on page 2.

Oh, merry X-mas btw!

:wink:
roach- the other white meat
Image
http://www.themenacetosobriety.com/blog/
MBP, Live Suite, and lots of nice analogue gear.

Contra
Posts: 1263
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:59 am
Location: Miami,FL. USA
Contact:

Post by Contra » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:25 am

roach808 wrote:
mercyplease wrote:
roach808 wrote:its not an ssl comp, but its pretty badass if ur not looking to drop a ton of money on some good hardware-based compression.

http://www.mercenary.com/realniccom.html

Hmmm your a bit of an dull boy roach Your suggesting the RNP as a contender over the SSL plugins. The RNP is without any doubt the most over rated pile of pish compressor ever t hit the market. The only reason that thing has some sort of a name is due to Fletchers endorsement. It is truly a very boooooring compressor. Perhaps thats why your so in to it. The original behringer composer blows that thing away and its got character.
Again the dull boys on this forum piss me off with their inane ramblings and made up shite.
im outta here again

:twisted: :twisted:
my sweet little darling mercy, with ur pretty lips and ur snazzy britches. I'm glad to see your as literate as a 5yearold. I said nothing of the sorts of the RNC compressor being anything remotely close to an SSL compressor. Its like comparing a deadhooker to a housewife. Its in the ballpark but its two diffent beasts. Its an excellent piece of kit if ur on a budget and u want some decent compression. But hey what do u know bout compression? I guess I'll go back to being all boring with my Emperial Labs Fatso, and my stereo pair of Avalon VT-737s....and my beautiful RNC compressor.

I agree with you tho, about this thread being a total pile of shite. Hence the reason I tried to cut it off back on page 2.

Oh, merry X-mas btw!

:wink:
but i do necroposting like whoa!


yo replicant ima chek those mixes in a bit

Contra
Posts: 1263
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:59 am
Location: Miami,FL. USA
Contact:

Re: mixes

Post by Contra » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:59 am

replicant6 wrote:okay so if you would like to hear 2 mixes that I did then here goes. You need iTunes or quicktime to listen. MP3s sound like crap... that's why.

idisk.mac.com/daniel.pope-Public


The regular version uses the liquid mix with a variety of models... mostly SSL E series EQ and FX G384 compressor, although I used the VT-737 EQ on the bass. On the other hand, the SSL mix is all Waves SSL Channel plugins. Bear in mind that these are quite different mixes with different settings, and the Liquid mix is far more developed. BUT it should give you an idea of the character and results you can get from each.

My new conclusion is that the Liquid SSL does not sound at all like the Waves. It just does not have that glue factor. If I just wanted SSL sound I'd go Waves. BUT I am going to go Liquid because it offers so much more. The LA-2A is incredible as are most of the other emulations. I'd like to see the SSL emulations updated to sound more like the Waves ones though.

Hope that helps, and let me know what you think of the mixes!


R6

delighted.m4a is the liquid mix one right?

obviously the other is the SSL one by the title.

Contra
Posts: 1263
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:59 am
Location: Miami,FL. USA
Contact:

Post by Contra » Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:19 pm

merry shitbox!

DivineCo
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:16 am

Post by DivineCo » Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:41 pm

Sorry for hiJacking the thread again. Does Liquid Mix work on a XP system running Live6?

Contra
Posts: 1263
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:59 am
Location: Miami,FL. USA
Contact:

Post by Contra » Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:09 pm

DivineCo wrote:Sorry for hiJacking the thread again. Does Liquid Mix work on a XP system running Live6?
dunno. but hijacck away!

replicant6
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:40 am

differences between plugins

Post by replicant6 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:09 pm

Hey guys thanks for the feedback on the mix. Yeah. I agree about the differences. It's hard to decide on a final mix as there are things about each that I like... I thought this was a pretty good example of the differences between the two sets of plugins though.

The Waves plugins have the glue factor while the Liquid Mix allows for a real sense of depth and clarity. I must say that it's easier to get good sounds from the Waves SSL plugins... twist a few knobs and it's great. The Liquid is a bit harder to manage, but IMHO, infinitely more flexible and crisp. I wish I had used the LA-2A on the vocals instead of the SSL mix buss compressor.

At the end of the day... I want BOTH... haha. Just goes to show that there's no 'one size fits all' solution ever. But since I can't have both I am going to go Liquid Mix all the way for now. Maybe they will update to it's SSL models in the future.


R6

Contra
Posts: 1263
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:59 am
Location: Miami,FL. USA
Contact:

Re: differences between plugins

Post by Contra » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:17 pm

replicant6 wrote:Hey guys thanks for the feedback on the mix. Yeah. I agree about the differences. It's hard to decide on a final mix as there are things about each that I like... I thought this was a pretty good example of the differences between the two sets of plugins though.

The Waves plugins have the glue factor while the Liquid Mix allows for a real sense of depth and clarity. I must say that it's easier to get good sounds from the Waves SSL plugins... twist a few knobs and it's great. The Liquid is a bit harder to manage, but IMHO, infinitely more flexible and crisp. I wish I had used the LA-2A on the vocals instead of the SSL mix buss compressor.

At the end of the day... I want BOTH... haha. Just goes to show that there's no 'one size fits all' solution ever. But since I can't have both I am going to go Liquid Mix all the way for now. Maybe they will update to it's SSL models in the future.


R6
oh shit!
back from the dead is this post (yoda talk)
i heard the 2
i think the liquid mix is clean, but low end and glue went bye bye
the waves sounded like somethin goin to tape alredy.

ive made my choice,
plus i can get em cheaper than 750
so if i can make sumthin sound nice and save 200
ill take the ssl plugins.

thanks for all the hassles

big shout outs
to roach808 , replicant 6 , Frank H and the he/she mercyplease!
HOLLA!!!!!

FrankH
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2002 9:38 pm
Location: Zeist, The Netherlands

Post by FrankH » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:50 pm

Thanks and cheers.
Live 6.0.3 Win XP sp2, P4 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, UXGA video, RME Multiface (1), Nord Lead 3, Korg X5D, TR-Rack, ER-1, Roland Juno 106, JV-2080, Elektron Machinedrum-UW, SidStation, SPL Charisma, Soundtracs CP6800 (40/12/24), Genelec 1030A, Furutech TP80, etc.

Contra
Posts: 1263
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:59 am
Location: Miami,FL. USA
Contact:

Post by Contra » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:39 pm

o no problem and i also would like to thank the godz and da erfs, and id like to thank all the necroposters in lala land, cuz u kno whut dogg? dats how we do it.

peace in the bahamas.

Post Reply