Opinions on an Asus laptop...

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
astar

Opinions on an Asus laptop...

Post by astar » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:37 am

I'm thinking of picking up an Asus A8Js laptop... Anyone have experience using Live with Asus laptops ? They usually make quality and this one is packed with power and I like that it's 14 inches and pretty light.. I debated getting a Macbook Pro but 15 inch screen is a bit big and there are just too many good free plugins for XP that I can't pass up on. I don't play live gigs, I'm more into the producer / home recording tip so stability isn't huge for me either (although XP with LIve 6 has been rock solid for me lately anyway!).

Here's a quick review, looks pretty sweet:

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.a ... =Asus+A8Js

cheers

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:55 am

well you know that you could get a macbook c2d 13", and stil run xp on it . I know what you mean about all of the free apps for pc , I just recently went the mac route just to get at a few apps that were mac only..... anyway xp is great and I prefer it over osx... there is nothing like having the choice to run what you want.
I also was very concerned about the size since i came from having a panasonic 2.8 pound laptop and 12" screen, the macbook is a good compromise.
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

astar

Post by astar » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:24 am

yup, I debated getting the Macbook for a while, very nice looking machine. But I can't justify buying it because of the poor 3D graphic support and it would just feel strange to buy a MAC and then basically do all my production in XP. I wish more freeware developers would port their plugins over to UB, but I guess it's all free stuff so what can I really complain about.... Maybe I should donate more :D

Having a dual boot of OS X and XP is definitely a nice concept though !
Asus A8JS, Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2GHz, 2GB DDR2 667Mhz, 100GB 5400RPM SATA, Echo Indigo IOX, Windows XP SP3, Live 8.0.5

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:29 am

i just picked up an Asus F3jv over a macbook and i have to say this machine is makin me smile right now.. yeah i got a cheesy grin goin from one ear to another..

this notebook makes me a happier human being.

jacob_ma

Post by jacob_ma » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:48 am

I have an ASUS A8Jm

Basically the same machine as your looking at except yours will have a Core 2 Duo. I run it in a dual boot configuration with a dedicated Production install.

It is a fine laptop, its not as high Quality as a Think Pad Z series for example however, its alot more powerfull. I got 2yrs warranty with mine.

The best features for me are the DVI & RGB video Output, so you can drive DUAL Monitor setup (I've tried it it works) The plethora of USB connections (Which most 14in'ers don't have) and the kick arse 512mb ram video card.

You simply will not find a better more powerfull note book in a 14in config.

One thing worth mentioning is the Screen, the hinges' have a tendancy to loosen up from the factory. I fixed mine up by poping of the LCD and hinge covers and tightening all the screws. However, I use mine heavily for work and play and now I know I just treat it with a bit of care and its fine.

:D