HELP! My Machinedrum is busted

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:54 pm

The forum is down right now it looks like, I can't log in either. They mentioned updates to the forum software after the holidays, looks like they are in the process of rolling that out.

frisbeedisk

Post by frisbeedisk » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:05 pm

Tarekith wrote:Sweet. I use an elektron TM-1 BTW.
Hows yours working Tarekith, i think ive got a chunk of junk. for me it works then it doesnt, turbo x8, aye right if it works!!

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:08 pm

frisbeedisk wrote:
Hows yours working Tarekith, i think ive got a chunk of junk. for me it works then it doesnt, turbo x8, aye right if it works!!
Ive got no problems with mine so far. Have you updated to 1.33 on your MD? are there any problems i havent done mine yet.
Drums

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:14 pm

No issues here at all, works great. On my XP laptop, I was able to always get it to be in Turbo x10 mode, on the new MacBookPro it seems to always default to x8 mode.

No issues with it though, installed fine and does exactly what it's supposed to. I was kinda surprised to see on the Elektron site that it was discontinued. When you try and buy one now, you get this message:

"The product you have chosen, Elektron Turbo MIDI TM-1, is unfortunately discontinued."

Wonder what that's about?

frisbeedisk

Post by frisbeedisk » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:26 pm

Cryptic UK wrote:
frisbeedisk wrote:
Ive got no problems with mine so far. Have you updated to 1.33 on your MD? are there any problems i havent done mine yet.
I was scared to update to 1.33 for a while there. I did it the other day and did the - have it on song mode with the volume down playing full on for a day to see if it would crash out..no problems...Im not to botherd about my tm-1 anyways as it was a gift of sorry from elektron - my rme does a great job...And thanks for reminding me about your page Tarekith, forgot all about that hidden gem. :D

micah frank

Post by micah frank » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:47 pm

I just updated to 1.33 too. Slaving the MD to the MM is so much tighter now. It will jump positions in song mode wihile playing.

Which brings me to this question for you elektron-ers:

All of my live shows in the past I have used pattern mode and manually switched pattern-to-pattern. I use the mute mode to toggle parts on and off.

I'm wondering though if it might be better to use Song mode? It can be much more expressive and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with using both song and pattern mode live.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:54 pm

I use Pattern mode still, though thought about song mode too. I like pattern mode because I find it quicker to jump aroudn between patterns that way. However if your set is laid out more linear, song A, B, C, etc, then song mode might be the best way to do it.

micah frank

Post by micah frank » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:05 pm

Yeah, I have it set up so that Pattern A1 on the MD goes with Pattern A1 on the MM etc.

I just don't want to have to load a new song in the middle of a set. This seems to interfere with the whole flow of "playing" it.

Has anyone tried using a MIDI controller to access parameters in a live situation? Looking at the new kenton mini mix and thinking it might be a good solution.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:06 pm

I'd be surprised if a midi controller was any faster or easier than the MD already is. I mean, it's only got 3 menus of 8 knobs as it is, and I don't think track mutes are midi mappable yet. :)

micah frank

Post by micah frank » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:08 pm

yeah, good point. I usually only tweak decay times and filter anyway. no need to weigh this rig down anymore as it already take a forklift to bring it in the door ;)

efexx

Post by efexx » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:03 pm

It would be great if you could jump from song mode to pattern mode, than load a new song and back to song mode. Now you must stop to load a new song, thats a bit :(

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:47 pm

Yeah, i want the megamix functions from the mc505, or the xmix functions of the Emu command stations myself. That way you can swap parts betwen patterns in real time, in effect mixing from one pattern to another without stopping.