Experiences with a Macbook Pro C2D and Motu Ultralite?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
noiselevel

Experiences with a Macbook Pro C2D and Motu Ultralite?

Post by noiselevel » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:23 am

Hello,

does anyone have experiences with a Macbook Pro C2D and the Motu Ultralite or other
firewire audiointerfaces?

Recommendations?

Greatz

shotsi673

Re: Experiences with a Macbook Pro C2D and Motu Ultralite?

Post by shotsi673 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:39 am

noiselevel wrote:Hello,

does anyone have experiences with a Macbook Pro C2D and the Motu Ultralite or other

Recommendations?

Greatz
No, but I run the Ultralite with my iMac intel 2.0gHz and it's fantastic. Drivers are stable, Cuemix is there if you need and the sound quality is excellent.
Can't fault it.
iMaci7, Logic Pro & Live 9 Focal CMS65 &Softube Console 1 Mkii

R.J.Dubya

Re: Experiences with a Macbook Pro C2D and Motu Ultralite?

Post by R.J.Dubya » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:16 pm

noiselevel wrote:Hello,

Recommendations?

Greatz
I'm currently running an ultralite on my macbook pro. I just got it, and replaced a presonus firebox with it. It's ok, but I have a few issues with it. First, the software mixer is great for monitoring inputs, but there aren't many options for output configuring. Also, there are random times when all sound just suddenly stops. itunes won't play at all, neither will any daw. I've confirmed this behavior on another forum, so that's a bit annoying.

It's still a pretty good unit, but I have to say that of all the audio interfaces I've tried (mbox, firewire 410, edirol, toneport, motu, presonus), the presonus firebox was the most reliable and had a good software mixer. It also let you use your system sound setting for a quick adjustment which I thought was cool (sometimes the unit is out of reach). With the motu and many others, it disables the system volume.

I moved up from a firebox to get more inputs. But if 4 analog ins (2 pre's) is enough, I say get the firebox. The thing is cheap too. Best deal out there for sure.

cheers,

rjw
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

Macbook pro C2D 2.16, Firepod, rubber band and a stick.

ohiowa

Post by ohiowa » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:07 am

I just got a macbook today and am currently installing the drivers for my ultralite. it worked like a charm with no freezing or glitching on my 1g 512meg ibook (that some asshole in Tucson, Arizona stole from the Mix position at a club called Plush) I plan on doing some work with the two of them in the next day or two. I'll let you know how it goes.
// u n u r //
moderntapes.com/unur
facebook.com/uunnuurr
anywhere anyone 12"ep
coming soon!

eblomquist

MacBook Pro, not C2D, and UL

Post by eblomquist » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:51 pm

Fantastic with MacBook Pro core duo, not core 2... not a single problem, sounds great, built like a tank...
I teach at Berklee. MacBook Pro, Push, APC-40, Ultralite, iOS devices, Axiom 61, BX8A's, LIVE 9 Suite, MicroBrute, KORG MS-20, AKAI S-612, GUILD STARFIRE II BASS/STARFIRE III GUITAR.
http://www.underwaterairport.com "Kuhli Loach" on Facebook

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:19 pm

I have a MBP c2d and Ultralite, works flawlessly. running on buss power with the laptop display on gives me VERY slight bit of noise, but I use the power supply for it anyway and then it's fine.

Great combination IMO.

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:10 pm

could any of you clarify that the routing is flexible on the ultralite, you should be able to route whatever you want to whatever you want isn't that so
but RJ Dubya said there was some difficulty, this is extremely important as I need to route a stereo pair to a sampler, also different master/ cue, and a different mix out to a drummer.
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:16 pm

stale bread wrote:could any of you clarify that the routing is flexible on the ultralite, you should be able to route whatever you want to whatever you want isn't that so
but RJ Dubya said there was some difficulty, this is extremely important as I need to route a stereo pair to a sampler, also different master/ cue, and a different mix out to a drummer.
Just to cliarify, it's got great routig options for monitoring input mixes, as you can have four different busses set up, mixed how you want and assigned to whatever output you want. I'm just cheesed by the fact that there is no second monitor mix, so I can't have mains go out two sets of speakers. No mirroring of outputs. Also this random sound shotting off thing is killing me. Maybe it's only a problem with some of them but I have confirmed the exact same behaviour elsewhere.
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:20 pm

Whatever routing you need can be set up in Live, the Motu itself does not have very man routing options in it's Cuemix software. You can create mulitple monitor mixes, but that's it. You can't feed outputs into inputs and such though.

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:21 pm

Here's a link to a few other similar experiences to mine:

http://www.unicornation.com/phpBB2/view ... 146#113146

I'm glad it works flawless for some, but I'm taking it back for a firepod instead I think(It's cheaper and has 8 pre's).
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:37 am

so RJ, you couldn't just set up your own mirroring by configuring a second pair of outputs to mirror the main outs and hook up your second pair of speakers that way?

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:03 pm

bump

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:15 am

stale bread wrote:so RJ, you couldn't just set up your own mirroring by configuring a second pair of outputs to mirror the main outs and hook up your second pair of speakers that way?
You can do that type of routing within Live, but I wanted my whole system sound going out both sets of speakers, which I couldn't do.
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston