Any monome users in here?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ahlstrominfo

Post by ahlstrominfo » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:22 am

ejectorset wrote:mlr can rewire right into live already. fun stuff.
YES!!! This must be more awsome then I first thought :D
My old signature was pretty stupid, so I changed it to this one.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:01 am

do all of the monome apps rewire with live? under osx?

I just read on their site that they are discontinuing this version after they sell 160 more. this makes me want to buy quite a bit as apparently they will have only sold 400 all together and they will one day be valuable.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

itook4lefts

Post by itook4lefts » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:do all of the monome apps rewire with live? under osx?

I just read on their site that they are discontinuing this version after they sell 160 more. this makes me want to buy quite a bit as apparently they will have only sold 400 all together and they will one day be valuable.
i've got one, it's amazing, but it's important to remember that it's not an all purpose thing - there's plenty it doesn't do (for me that's a plus, i hate camera phones and swiss army knives :wink: ). for example, you can use the rows/columns as sliders to send ccs if you want, but it's not very precise (because even though it's interpolated you only have, at most, eight divisions, and a fixed interpolation time between points). the flip side is that it does some things extremely well - loop slicing in mlr or flip (both max apps, but you can use them in runtime), and step sequencing of sample in 64step (though i don't think this has rewire yet).

i think they're down to about 140 left now, then thats it, and there will be a 16x16 prototype soon, which will be cool, but expensive. i think the price isn't so bad for the 8x8, when you consider the work that's gone into it. like fatrabit said - it's a lot of money. in the uk, the real problem is getting it here - it's 500 dollars, the HM customs are going to squeeze your nuts for another 20%, then ups are going to want 50 dollars or something. i was fortunate to find one second hand in the UK, otherwise i couldn't afford it.

i haven't used mapd yet, but thats a drag and drop environment for configuring the box into pages or sliders, buttons, radio buttons, etc that send midi or OSC to another app. it's still at version 0.3, and has been for a while, and only works on mac OS 10.4. when it's finished it will be cool, but at the moment, one problem is the feedback from live (ie, if you move slider in live, the LEDs on the monome don't move), i think. someone correct me if i'm wrong on that.

still, i'd say get one, it's remember it's really an instrument, not a controller.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:26 pm

I'm working on hacking mlr for use with the Lemur... I have a great little dual-monome set up, with loads of left over screen space for some real faders :)

I love the monome, but I figured I'd need two to make me happy with the step sequencing possibilities, so I went with the Lemur.

Still looking forward to seeing the 100h - I hope they make it the same size as the original Tehn/Daedalus prototypes!
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:41 pm

Boo!

I actually had the money for one but decided to piss it away:(

How long will 140 last, I wonder...
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:46 pm

long enough, mate. Long enough. Oh, and I've decided to let you have that akai sampler for free, brother-man.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:51 pm

Machinate wrote:long enough, mate. Long enough.
How long did it take them to sell the first 260?
Machinate wrote:Oh, and I've decided to let you have that akai sampler for free, brother-man.
You, sir, are truly a friend of the proles! Now I'll *have* to get a MIDI interface for my Macintosh Classic!
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

ejectorset

Post by ejectorset » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:10 am

if my memory serves me they started selling them in april of 06. maybe may 1st or something. it was real close to my birthday and i remember really really wanting one then, but not being able to swing one until much more recently.
13" 2.0 gHz core 2 duo macbook, live 6, korg poly 800 (w/ moog slayer mod), roland rs-09, rhodes mark 1A stage piano, mattel synsonics analog drum machine

UlcerPentacidis

Post by UlcerPentacidis » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:02 pm

ejectorset wrote:mlr can rewire right into live already. fun stuff.
how would you weigh the cpu drag while doing this.

i'm currently on the prowl for an interesting new toy,

and since this guy doubles as a controller and a configurable instrument,

it seems very promising to me at the moment.

i am curious tho, when running mapd,

must i run max/msp/pd to send midi to ableton for control,

or is it good to go without running extra apps?

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:38 pm

But the question remains, though:
Has there been any pluggo versions released of mlr ? I imagine that would be the most fun, loading it directly inside Live :)

UlcerPentacidis

Post by UlcerPentacidis » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:49 pm

i hadn't thought of that.

i did think bidule might be pretty nice, as it is available as a vst(i) plug now too.

i saw several people over at the monome forum are working on bidule patches for it,

but nothing super solid as of yet....

UlcerPentacidis

Post by UlcerPentacidis » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:51 pm

also, i found the answers i was looking for in regards to my original post in this thread, and am now onto inquiring as to the stability of mlr as a rewire slave.

anyone with a little input regarding it's performance on start/stop/synchcronzing as a rewire slave?

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:55 pm

I think you missed my point a bit - there's even no need to load it inside bidule or anything - MaxMSP (where mlr, mapd, etc. were created) allows the user to convert a patch into a fully usable plugin in itself. That is MUCH more desirable than using rewire, and a lot less processor hungry.

UlcerPentacidis

Post by UlcerPentacidis » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:02 pm

no, i understood your point. same goes for bidule as a pluggo vsti, as it is now a vsti plug in as well as a host. it can serve the same function as max/msp or pd as a programming environment for creating software to exploit the monome. while i don't think it is as widely used by monome users as max/msp/pd, it seems it is every bit as capable of performing these tasks.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:51 pm

No, you definitely missed my point then ;)
mlr is open source. Compiling it as pluggo is still within the open source specs, from what I gather, and hence it could be shared for free. To and from everyone. Free as in beer.
Bidule isn't free, hence the distinction.
As you were :)