anyone for war? pc notebook or c2d macbook/macbookpro? GO!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
piZMo

anyone for war? pc notebook or c2d macbook/macbookpro? GO!

Post by piZMo » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:56 pm

i am updating and thought if i started this off it might give me some ideas as which way to go, sorry lads, let the battle commence....

which... pc notebook or c2d macbook/macbookpro? GO!

shaneblyth

Re: anyone for war? pc notebook or c2d macbook/macbookpro? GO!

Post by shaneblyth » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:59 pm

piZMo wrote:i am updating and thought if i started this off it might give me some ideas as which way to go, sorry lads, let the battle commence....

which... pc notebook or c2d macbook/macbookpro? GO!
new Macs ARE PC's
MacbookPro Core2Duo 17" 160 gb SATA 2gb ram.
Korg M3
1 Terabyte External Drive
Presonus Firebox
Live 6,

piZMo

boring answer

Post by piZMo » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:51 pm

ohhhh reeeaalllly i did not know this....

idema

Post by idema » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:02 pm

Umm, the war's been over for a while...I'm afraid you're too late.

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:22 pm

that's right the new macs are pcs but there are some caveats and it goes a little somethin like thissssss

size- no macbooks are small and light enough, the lightest is over 5 pounds and if you're like me coming from a 2.8 pound powerful laptop thats including the battery by the way then over 5 pounds is like carrying a desktop, especialy after you add your controller, soundcard, and incidentals.
I very much prefer to be light on my feet.

no pcmcia- my echo indigo soundcard which i've never had even a shadow of a problem with and love to death is useless now cause my macbook has no pcmcia card slot.....that sucks very much.

there are not enough usb/firewire ports,

even so the blackmacbook i have is a very inspiring machine and the things
i don't like about it are actualy going to make me focus on it as more of an instrument itself then my previous laptop. I'll probably never get rid of it and think of it later on as some form of hardware samper/mpc or something

it's cross platform and you can't disregard just how valuable that can be, its a gigantic huge humongous plus to be able to run xp and osx and vista in ways that you won't even know until you wish you could use fruityloops or metasynth :lol: .

I'm actualy looking at and saving up for another laptop on the pc side, i'm looking at the IBM thinkpad/lenovos they are truly great machines light as fuck and powerful ressonably priced exceptional quality, also keeping my eye out on sony very light and powerful but unreasonably priced and quality rarely known but i've owned several of them and they've been good to me.

there's a rumer that apple is coming out with some super thin and light 12 inchers and I guess we'll all know about'em either this month or next, if that's true i'll be looking into that as well.

happy new year
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:36 pm

Screw laptops. This is the sound of 2007!

Slicer Specifications
Motor: 1/2 hp., single phase, 60 Hz, 115VAC, 7 amps.

Capacities: Length: Loaves up to 16" (406mm) or 21" (533mm)
Height: 2 1/4" (57mm) to 5" (127mm)

Slicing Spacing (Thickness): Standard: 3/8"(26 mm), 7/16" (11 mm), or 1/2" (13 mm), Special: 1/4" (6 mm), 9/16" (14 mm), 5/8" (16 mm), 3/4" (19 mm), or 1" (25 mm)

Lubrication: Grease-packed ball bearings contribute to smooth, quiet operation.

Finish: Power coat paint, stainless steel, and black oxide.

Sorry. I was in the mood for a slicer joke :D

Happy Newyear!

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:05 am

that's no joke Hoff , you got me trying to download that mthrfkR :lol:
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

shtreimel

Post by shtreimel » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:05 am

I'm in the same boat. I drifted from mac to pc 2 years ago when my 12in ti-book ran macromedia products way...way too slow. But I've always enjoyed the "look" of apple products (and not unlike my other instruments, the "look" does inspire you to play, create, etc). But the cost is still a factor. I can get a pretty souped up notebook (with a gig of ram) for $100 less than an powerbook.

Anyone else have this dilema...and what factors led to your final decision?

yourmom

Re: anyone for war? pc notebook or c2d macbook/macbookpro? G

Post by yourmom » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:12 am

shaneblyth wrote: new Macs ARE PC's
seriously

get a macbook pro with a large HD. the 60gb that comes with the macbook isnt large enough for dual boot really. i mean it is... but it isn't... but who knows what leopard has in store for us with parallels and whatnot ^_^

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:40 am

hoffman2k wrote:Screw laptops. This is the sound of 2007!

Slicer Specifications

Slicing Spacing (Thickness): Standard: 3/8"(26 mm), 7/16" (11 mm), or 1/2" (13 mm), Special: 1/4" (6 mm), 9/16" (14 mm), 5/8" (16 mm), 3/4" (19 mm), or 1" (25 mm)

PSSSSHHHHHH fuck that, man. You can have fun with your unreliable bread $licer. I'll stick to my Hobart, thank you. And don't fucking tell me that Hobarts are for pretentious hipsters. You're just jealous.

Happy Newyear!

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:40 am

hoffman2k wrote:Screw laptops. This is the sound of 2007!

Slicer Specifications

Happy Newyear!
PSSSSHHHHHH fuck that, man. You can have fun with your unreliable bread $licer. I'll stick to my Hobart, thank you. And don't fucking tell me that Hobarts are for pretentious hipsters. You're just jealous.

glu

Post by glu » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:04 am

I got to play on OSX on my bro's macbook pro during the holidays. I must say, I want OSX.. but I have to have XP too.

I have been sitting on this for quite some time. From Custom desktop, to Toshiba, to Imac, to Lenovo, to macbook pro, in circles and circles.

1. January will be interesting--

I think I can hold out to see what happens with the initial public release of Vista at the end of the month.

Apple is having their pow wow in the middle of Jan.. and they have something big planned.

Ram should be getting much cheaper, and hard drive space.

Core 2 extremes are out. Right now I think they go for about $1000, but hopefully by eeearly spring they will drop the price on C2Ds

I have been customizing and shopping and researching for months now...

If Apple's new OS allows seemless OSX/XP/VISTA switching without rebooting, I may reconsider a macintel. I don't know... I really enjoyed OSX for web browsing and ichatting (saw the f'in sunset over honolulu in realtime while talking to a friend) Ripped a few DVDs of some video stuff I recently completed.. It's been nice working in OSX. But I have to have XP for my plugs. So... around I go.....

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:49 am

muscleandhate

Post by muscleandhate » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:56 am

Thing is, all this technology and still we seem years away from truely being freed fro the trappings of virtual studios arch enemy, the CPU (or lack of).

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:05 pm

i am a 100% mac head, for all the reasons mentioned a million times in endless threads, but one general thing is for shure [at least for me] never try to wait for the newest most modern computer technology, the speed of 'new' stuff is redicolous and i can see that to many people waisting time and being slave of the newest 'best' technology how about rather creating music with what you have? and point no.1 is that i have never heard any music being essentially better, created on high tech maschines than on whatever works, really!

just my two cents.
*** Image GAFM ***