Anyone used Behringer Truth monitors?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
evildick

Post by evildick » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:32 pm

Try the Phonic P 8 Monitors! Same price range but much better...

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:46 pm

rolfski wrote:Do not listen to the usual "Stay away from cheap Behringer products" arguments becaus these are BS prejudices. Especially regarding the Truth monitors because they are actually very good monitors for the money.

I've listen for days in shops comparing them to every other monitor in the price range and in the end the Truths clearly came out on top for me. What makes them really stand out compared to the competition is that they can handle bass actuallly very well which is important of course when you are into dance music. They also have a clean, "in your face" sound and the build quality is very sturdy.

They also got good reviews too, check out the recent Future Music issue were lots of monitors were tested or check a review of his little brother: http://www.musictechmag.co.uk/mtm/reviews/truth-b2030a
sound wise some of their products can be decent [whereby decent is very stretchable interpretation, speaking of behringer]
but behringer is like playing the lottery, you might have the 'one in a thousand' which keeps you out of trouble, for the other 999 users behringer is trouble, the quality is well under any excisting standard. period. behringer is dead cheap rubbish.
*** Image GAFM ***

scottwallis

Post by scottwallis » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:06 pm

well i have them, and ive been using them for a couple of years now. I think they are decent monitors........

folk slag off behringer, but the few peoducts of theirs ive used have always been good.....

and the B-controllers, the BCR2000 and BCF2000 are awesome

best thing to do is read some reviews of what you are after by the likes of Sond on Sound or some of the magazines that know their stuff.....

:)

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:13 pm

scottwallis wrote:well i have them, and ive been using them for a couple of years now. I think they are decent monitors........

folk slag off behringer, but the few peoducts of theirs ive used have always been good.....

and the B-controllers, the BCR2000 and BCF2000 are awesome

best thing to do is read some reviews of what you are after by the likes of Sond on Sound or some of the magazines that know their stuff.....

:)
yo their controllers are OK, no doubt, but there is no actual audio going through...

this discussion can be endless, i just don't like reverse engineering on top of their to me non existing quality level for the majority of their products, enough said. i stop.
if you have the money to buy twice, well then go and by behringer. everyone to his own.

there are many alternatives, which i believe are by far more worth having a look at.

just my 2cents.
*** Image GAFM ***

scottwallis

Post by scottwallis » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:23 pm

this discussion can be endless
Exactly

All im saying is I PERSONALLY like them, i make dance music and they are fine for me.....but hey if i was getting a new pair of monitors there are some other ones i'd like to check out so point taken there...

:wink:

SubQ

Post by SubQ » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:36 pm

save for another year and buy a pair of genelecs 8020. Then for the rest of your life you'll have the best for small rooms. After 2 years buy some cheap KRK sub.

best advice one can give: don't spend your sweaty cash onto something you'll be wanting to sell in a couple of years. go for quality, it's economy. 8)

all the best,
coelho
http://soundcloud.com/coelho
Dave Smith Prophet 08 SE, Genelecs, RME Multiface, Faderfoxes, Doepfer Drehbank, Padkontrol, DIY Footcontroller, Electro Harmonix Pedals.

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:28 pm

Personally, I like the B2030a more than the B2031a monitors. From personal experience, I can say these monitors are part of the good behringer gear. Sure, they're no Genelecs or Tannoys or whatever, but in the price range they're one of choices you should consider.

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

JDSampo

Post by JDSampo » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:02 pm

I listened to the Behringers in a store and didn't really like them. The 'in your face' sound didn't work for me although some people like that.

I'm using a pair of Samson Resolv 65a (6.5" woofer). They're no Genelecs but I like them especially considering their price. I get a nice flat response, the amps have a ton of headroom, and the detail and sense of stereo space is quite good. There's also a knob for changing their frequency response curve to be flat or more trebly or bassy depending on your needs. They're going for about $250 a pair nowadays which is a heck of a nice deal.

I agree with SubQ though. If music production is more than a hobby for you save up and spring for the good gear. I don't make any income off of music so I have to consider price carefully.

Your best bet, as I'm sure others have mentioned, is to try to find a store that will let you A-B different monitors with some music of your choice and let your ears decide. Choice of monitors is so subjective. Some people even prefer hi-fi speakers even though they're not technically the 'correct' thing to use.

--JD

rolfski

Post by rolfski » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:20 pm

sqook wrote: Sorry, but I must disagree. Beringer's stuff is produced in a small Chinese village that they more or less built themselves, and the quality of their products reflects that, I think.

I have a pair of the Truth B2031's at my office, and they aren't even fucking magnetically shielded.... meaning that, if my telephone (not even cell phone, mind you) is too close to the speaker, then it creates a noticable and annoying buzz. The speakers are also very sensitive to volume changes, regardless what source I am using for the input.

The sound quality overall is decent, but I think you could easily find another pair of monitors for the same price with comparable audio quality.
The pairs you have should be older models. The later versions are shielded and have absolutely no interference problems.

The fact that production takes place in China says absolutely nothing about quality. Almost all goods we use today are made in China.

rolfski

Post by rolfski » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:28 pm

SubFunk wrote: sound wise some of their products can be decent [whereby decent is very stretchable interpretation, speaking of behringer]
but behringer is like playing the lottery, you might have the 'one in a thousand' which keeps you out of trouble, for the other 999 users behringer is trouble, the quality is well under any excisting standard. period. behringer is dead cheap rubbish.
BS prejudices. I'm not a Behringer fan whatsoever but if 99,9% of their users would be dissatisfied then this company would be out of business long ago.

sqook

Post by sqook » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:35 pm

rolfski wrote: The pairs you have should be older models. The later versions are shielded and have absolutely no interference problems.
I should hope so.
The fact that production takes place in China says absolutely nothing about quality. Almost all goods we use today are made in China.
It's not just China. It's a small village that they built in China, specifically to manufacture their gear. Think of the old coal-mining towns built by early industry pioneers back in the 1800's....

Anyways, I've got a bit more funny industry gossip about them, but it's kinda OT so I'll keep it to myself. ;)

forgie

Post by forgie » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:44 am

OK, from all the reading and feedback I've done in the past few days, it looks like the Truths are not going to be the answer for real acoustic instruments - the most common complaint I've heard is that there is a lack of upper mid clarity. I do a lot of guitar work, so obviously that's going to be a problem!

Alesis M1 MKIIs are looking pretty good - from what I can tell there's not much else in the price range here in Australia that will give me the same quality.

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:25 am

sqook wrote:
rolfski wrote:Do not listen to the usual "Stay away from cheap Behringer products" arguments becaus these are BS prejudices. Especially regarding the Truth monitors because they are actually very good monitors for the money.
Sorry, but I must disagree. Beringer's stuff is produced in a small Chinese village that they more or less built themselves, and the quality of their products reflects that, I think.

I have a pair of the Truth B2031's at my office, and they aren't even fucking magnetically shielded.... meaning that, if my telephone (not even cell phone, mind you) is too close to the speaker, then it creates a noticable and annoying buzz. The speakers are also very sensitive to volume changes, regardless what source I am using for the input.

The sound quality overall is decent, but I think you could easily find another pair of monitors for the same price with comparable audio quality.

That's odd my Truth's are Magnetically Shielded, Volume control is fine, sound is IMHO great for the price and not fatiquing on the ears either.
More than I could say for my old Alesis Monitors.
You can easily contour the low, mid, high ranges to suit the room/working environment also.
I have had mine for a little over 2 years and they've been damn rock solid.
My Alesis Active's fried, a pair of Tannoy Reveal's did the same actually (but they where passive's).
These where by far the best sound compromise I could find on a budget and I don't write/compose dance music either.
If I had the money again though I'd go back too a Pair of Tannoy Reds 15" Dual Concentric Monitors.
The best fucking monitors I've ever owned in my life.
Simple beautiful sound all round.
That said I'm not rich, haven't got a proper job and cannot complain about the results or mixes I get with the Truths to be brutally honest.
Oh and by the way there is a shitload of gear made in China these days ala Yamaha, Behringer, Kurzweil etc etc etc....
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:27 am

forgie wrote:OK, from all the reading and feedback I've done in the past few days, it looks like the Truths are not going to be the answer for real acoustic instruments - the most common complaint I've heard is that there is a lack of upper mid clarity. I do a lot of guitar work, so obviously that's going to be a problem!

Alesis M1 MKIIs are looking pretty good - from what I can tell there's not much else in the price range here in Australia that will give me the same quality.
Tannoy Reveal Actives if that's the sort of music your doing .
They have a beautiful sweetspot and great midrange definition IMHO.
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

forgie

Post by forgie » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:05 am

Tannoy actives price: $1589
M1 MKII price: $599

That's AU dollars. They sound like they are very good at giving you a better idea of what's going on in the upper-midrange area, but are they really worth 3 times the price? Especially considering that music is very much just a hobby for me? I will also be using the speakers to listen to music while I work, so speakers that over-emphasise certain parts of the mix (which is what it sounds like the reveals do) might not be the best choice for me.