are you in band?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
D K

Post by D K » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:47 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:so you're the most talented guy in the world.

wanna buy me a lemur?
nah...
pay your dues and earn it :lol:

mbenigni

Post by mbenigni » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:05 pm

well, i'm also lucky that i never had any serious medical problems the 15 years i had no money for healthcare....and i'm proud to say i never kissed one ass to get where i am
Funny thing about this...

I've always played it safe when it came to deciding between music and career, trying to maintain a safe income, bene's etc.

Then in my 20's I ran into some serious medical problems that landed me in a hospital for months. I just happened to be consulting at the time, and between gigs with no insurance - a brief window of vulnerability. As it turned out, the state waived all my costs because I had no income and no coverage. Consider that if I'd been employed with insurance, it might have covered, say, 60%, and I'd have walked away 10's of thousands in debt!

Makes you think twice about the "risks" of the musical life vs. the "safety" of the 9-5 grind. Of course if you have a family to look out for it's a completely different ballgame.

compositeone

Post by compositeone » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:10 pm

At 16 I played bass in a grunge band, influenced by the likes of Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Mud Honey etc. We were rubbish, well not exactly rubbish but we just never came together that well. The drummer and lead guitars where proper musicians while the rest of us were just along for the ride. It was fun but never going to go any where.

I got into DJing not long after I put down the bass and so did that for years. I always loved drum and bass even when I was in the grunge band but its a totally different vibe 'on stage' to being in a band. As such I scratching in a funk band which was the perfect compromise because I could use a lot of the skills I had spent the previous 6 years perfecting but could do it on stage with a bunch of other people in a band situation. Unfortunately the core of this band have several other projects going on so we haven't really done much in the last 12 months.

More recently I have started making my own drum and bass and I'm trying to put it together as a live act, but with several set-ups that can range from me on the laptop to a full band dependant upon the venue and "who can make it". I want to do this for a couple of reasons:

a) I would like to get back in to the group mentality.
b) I have written loads of tracks and I just don't feel that doing a DJ set of them is really the direction I want to go.
c) I have never done or been involved with any sort of electronic music in a live arena, and I'm interested in the differences when performing.

:)
http://www.myspace.com/compositeswerve

"So what kind of music do you make?"
"Both kinds...... drum and bass."